Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something I just read in these declawing postings; is it true that when the cat holds a paw is because it is painful_or rather he picked up the habit of
holding a paw when recovering from declaw surgery?? Madam does that and I thought it was a cute habit :?: , I've had other cats that did it and they weren't declawed (but then maybe their feet hurt??)

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think mine is from pain

I think the cat I have that was declawed before I acquired her holds her paws up because she is in pain. I have 70 cats and none of them do this, but her. Also, she is the one who will try to bite you if you pet her too much. I see the biting also as a side affect of the declawing.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So that's what it is..Madam doesn't bite, she's rather affectionate but doesn't purr regularly..I mean she does purr but only after much petting and she doesn't like to be picked up at all,which's natural, many cats don't, except most of the time she doesn't wiggle but freeze and turn herself into a ball..do you think their toes still hurt? I don't know when my cat was declawed, she's 5 now..
And yes, I have had other cats that did that_then again I'm thinking through my life so maybe I'm mistaken, pls don't quote me there :wink:You have 70 cats? What a pro, I have only one housecat Madam and take care of 14 ferals; can't tell you if there's any that does it.
Thanks!

·
Registered
327 Posts
my cat sometimes grabs his leg and bites his leg when he gets crazy while playing but it isnt really biting or else we would have a problem by now :) and he isnt declawed either...

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Refusing to put weight on the paw is generally a sign of pain.

Personally, I believe that all declawed cats suffer from lifelong pain. Maybe not constant, but given 10 separate amputations, the chances of phantom pain are very high. Also declawing changes the way they walk and can affect their balance, joints, and spine, which can also be painful. Cats are very stoic and do not show signs of pain unless it is very bad.
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=002

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts