Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years I have accumulated quite a few cats and want to cook for them instead of buying commercial foods. I feel I can better spend my money this way for them. Does anybody have a good healthy recipe for lots of cats? :) ANNA

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm actually working on a modified form of a leadbeaters mix for felines.
I will let you know recipes once tested and if I have any success. :)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
These are two of my recpies:

Food for 1 cat, 10 days

720 g beef
480 g minced beef
400 g heart (I use heart from pork but heart from beef is good)
150 g liver (pork or beef)
3 egg yolks (appr. 60 g)
90 g steamed veggies
5 tbls calcium lactate
1½ tbsl fish oil or flax seed oil
2,5 ml salt substitute

The veggies I use for this recipe (not very important that you use the same) are broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. Steamed and mixed. I feed all the meat (and the yolks) raw. If you have a grinder I recommend you grind the liver and the heart. The beef that isn't minced should be cut in whatever size your cat prefers.

For the following recipe you need a grinder or you need to have someone else grind it for you

Food for 1 ca, 21 days

2,5 kg chicken (meat, bones and skin)
672 g chicken heart
315 g chicken liver
6-7 egg yolks
135 g squash
122 g red paprika
112 g yellow paprika
5 ¼ ml salt substite
3 tbls fish oil or flax seed oil

Grind some of the chicken meat, all the bones and the skin, all of the heart and all the livers. The meat not grinded should be sliced to whatever size your cat prefers. Steam and mix the veggies. Mix it all together.

My cats don't seem to be to fond of beef so I usually don't feed them that but they LOVE this chicken recipe

:D

·
Registered
38 Posts
homemadecat food

In regards to your chicken recipe, is this fed raw or is everything cooked first?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm a vegetarien, so correct me if i'm wrong, but with all that ground beef, liver and heart ect... doesn't it get expensive?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
catfood mine love!!

My cats LOVE chicken...ergo!! heres what I've been doing... I go to Walmart or Kroger and buy the packages of chicken hearts&gizzards&livers...be sure to clean these before cooking...also I get some packs of breasts and thighs..I use chicken boulion cubes,salt substitute called NOSALT, vegall, boiled eggs, one human vitamin-mineral,fishoil and canola oil in which this is all cooked together(in a boiler for about 1 hour on the stove top)...After its all cooked, I grind it all in my processor and make a pate'..They love this which I feed once a day(mostly for their supper)...The rest of the day they get Kit N Kaboodle for dry snacks...(Get the biggest sacks of KitnKaboodle for economic purposes...18lbsacks).
I have over 20 cats and find this is a lot cheaper and healthier than buying commercially canned cat foods...ANNA....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I forgot

Also..sometimes I put ground beef..the 90/10 ratio..in my chicken recipe..and sometimes I buy the Jack Mackeral canned fish,(If you're rich,you can use salmon) make a slurry with the bones crushed and give this on top of their chicken.....ANNA....

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Ashdyre said:
I'm a vegetarien, so correct me if i'm wrong, but with all that ground beef, liver and heart ect... doesn't it get expensive?
Nope, it's a lot less expensive than feeding commersial wet food and I don't spend more money on catfood today than used to do when I fed them Royal Canin dry food so the food cost is the same, but it all depends on where you buy the stuff. Not everyone have the same possibilities. I get free meat (mostly organs) from moose since my mother hunts, I buy cheap organic meat from a BARF-supplier and we have really cheap whole chicken available at the supemarkets here. I can even buy heart, kidney and liver from various animals here at the supermarket for not much money at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CHICKEN BONES!!!!

Theres one more thing I found out about the hard way and feel I need to pass along to any interrested readers.....This concerns the feeding of chicken bones and beef bones to ANY animal...I found that no matter how hard you shred, chop,pulverize or mash chicken or beef bones, there is always the possibility of a small infinitesimal piece or sliver thats going to get lodged in the lining of the animal's stomach,small intestine or large intestine...While in most cases,I suppose, this might not happen, I for one am not willing to take the risk anymore...The only safe bones I feed my cats are the soft canned fish bones from Salmon or Jack Mackeral and I always make good and sure these are crushed to oblivion before I give this to them....Ask your veterinarian and see what he or she has to say on the subject...or better yet?? try eating or knawing on one of these yourself??? These are TAME animals..not in the wild..and are used to being treated and fed as such as are their li'll systems....ANNA...... :(

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Re: CHICKEN BONES!!!!

anna said:
Theres one more thing I found out about the hard way and feel I need to pass along to any interrested readers.....This concerns the feeding of chicken bones and beef bones to ANY animal...I found that no matter how hard you shred, chop,pulverize or mash chicken or beef bones, there is always the possibility of a small infinitesimal piece or sliver thats going to get lodged in the lining of the animal's stomach,small intestine or large intestine...While in most cases,I suppose, this might not happen, I for one am not willing to take the risk anymore...The only safe bones I feed my cats are the soft canned fish bones from Salmon or Jack Mackeral and I always make good and sure these are crushed to oblivion before I give this to them....Ask your veterinarian and see what he or she has to say on the subject...or better yet?? try eating or knawing on one of these yourself??? These are TAME animals..not in the wild..and are used to being treated and fed as such as are their li'll systems....ANNA...... :(
Of course bones can cause problems no matter how much you try to pulverize them. On the other hand fresh meat that isn't ground can get stuck in the throat and choke the cat. There are always risks and ground bones are not a big one.

When feeding bones one should always supervise the cat, just in case. My experience is that cats handle bonesvery wwll even if they aren't wild.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bones

I also NEVER feed raw meats to my cats as there is too much risk involved that outweighs the few benefits of same....I always throughly cook the chicken and beef throughly...The vegetables and vitamins are added during the last minutes of cooking to preserve their potency....ANNA.....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Re: CHICKEN BONES!!!!

anna said:
theres a chance my cat or dog might die from ANY possible problem - the stuffed toys my dog loves to shred, th enylabones he chews on, the pieces of carpet my cats rip up then chew on - the plastic bags my cats sometimes find and rip up. one of my cats is currently obsessed with eating the bedding from my rats cage.

i personally feed the benefit comin from the raw diet, is far outweighed by any problem. NOTHING in life is perfectly safe. i know many animals that have choked on kibble , some peopel feel bloat is intrinsically tied in with kibble feeding.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sol, i realise that this is an old post but i read it some time back and i tried your chicken recipe (after painstakingly converting the amounts to measurements that i understand :oops: ) and it was a big hit, two out of three cats ate it, and the third tasted it which is a big step for him. only thing i changed was that i left out the salt sub. (is that necessary?). thank you!

as for the poster who does not think feeding bones is safe, IMO the benefits of feeding a biologically appropriate diet far outweigh the risks involved.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Avocado said:
Sol, i realise that this is an old post but i read it some time back and i tried your chicken recipe (after painstakingly converting the amounts to measurements that i understand :oops: ) and it was a big hit, two out of three cats ate it, and the third tasted it which is a big step for him. only thing i changed was that i left out the salt sub. (is that necessary?). thank you!

as for the poster who does not think feeding bones is safe, IMO the benefits of feeding a biologically appropriate diet far outweigh the risks involved.
It sounds great that your cats liked it :D About the salt substitute... it's probably not necessary as long as one feeds bones. I don't use salt substitute when I feed bones, I only include if I don't feed bones which really doesn't happen any longer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts