Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
My 1 1/2 year old male kitty will not eat ANY kind of wet food. He has been this way ever since I got him at 7 weeks of age. I have tried all the best brands, and then even tried "junk" food from the supermarket but he will not touch it. I also add a little of Wysong Au Jus to my dog's food, and he won't go near that either. It is purely canned meat for supplemental feeding of cats or dogs- I've tried both duck and turkey with him. Not interested! Anyway, I am worried because I know it is not wise to feed a male cat strictly dry food. He has always been a water lover, so I don't think his urine is too concentrated, but still...
I do give him boiled boneless, skinless chicken breast in the mornings, which I figure has a fairly high water content.
Anyhow, does anybody have some good ideas for home-cooking? Moki is currently eating Natural Balance with some pro-biotics and a digestive track supplement (slippery elm etc) added. I feed my dogs a mixture of kibble, dehydrated food (Honest Kitchen), Raw Beef and supplements. I am therefore not opposed to feeding raw meats, but I have read that the risks are higher with kitties than with dogs.
Any ideas on food for my little Moki would be appreciated. Here is a pic of him...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Home cooking

Hi Abby,Have you tried using tuna water(from human grade tuna)to flavor canned food till he accepts the taste of canned.Or baby food?Bullion willsometimes work but use it sparingly due to the salt content(if you can find salt free or make beef broth its better).Eggs(scrambled) will work on some cats.Or you can add olive oil to canned and many picky eaters will eat.Hope this helps Marla

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I agree with mds511. Try to pour some tuna water over the food. The cats smell the food, they don't taste the food. I make my own catfood (however I do not serve them raw food) and it was a problem to make the oldest lady try the new food but even she couldn't resist the food once it smelled like tuna.

If tuna water doesn't work try with something else you know your cat likes. Most cats have "soft spots" when it comes to food. Raw meat works for some. You can also try to heat the food to body temperature. The food will start to smell more when heated and it will be more comfortable for the cat to eat warm food.

If you're more interested in making your own food, send me a message.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi All- Thanks for the responses. I have tried tuna juice- he will eat a little on its own- and is slighty more enthusiatic about sardines- but putting it on canned food- forget it! Tried baby food this weekend- both chicken and lamb, not interested! He does like raw beef, so I give him a little of that from time to time. Sol- I will email you, I would love to get some recipes. I don't mind having him eat the Natural Blance kibble, I just don't want that to soley make up his diet.
Oh- and scrambled eggs, he sometimes will eat them sometimes won't-- seems to depend on his mood! :roll:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Abby my cats live on a very varied diet. I give them the wet food for breakfast and they feed freely on Iams dry. For their tea I give them a bit of tuna, or I cook them some coley, or give them some pichards in brine, a bit of chicken, turkey or scrambled eggs.

My old cat was a very fussy eater from being a tiny kitten, he would not touch any cat food. I worried over him for ever. He loved rice and mixed vegetables, was addicted to corn, as long as you put something smelly in it they will eat it. The only cat food he ever eat was Hi Life tuna flavour. It smells awful but he liked it. He would not eat dry food either. He had kidney problem and had to go on renal support diet when he was 15 years old. He lived to be 17. If you decide to cook your own food you will have to add supplements. I'll leave that to someone more experienced than me. But good luck and let us know how you get on. :)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
If you're leaving the dry food out all the time, stop! Feed in meals only. Then he'll be hungry at mealtime and more willing to try something new.

I don't recommend fish for cats; seen too many urinary problems from it.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts