Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya know this just kills me. I surf through some of these decorating sites and read about adding little vases of flowers to a table or a groupings of photos in funky frames youo know the spin. Now it's about decorating the Thanksgiving table. Oh paleez! We bought a new bookcase headboard and two new nightstands and ya know what they're used for..right cat walks. Now my cats have a new way to torture me in the morning. They pace back and forth meowing for their food and the bookend are used for cat naps.

·
Banned
470 Posts
We should have a "cat suitable" decor thread. :D

My personal taste is for contemporary design, and this is really conductive to a cat household IMO, as you tend to go for one large heavy accent rather than many ornate small pieces.

In this room for example, you'd really just have to replace that flowered plant with an artificial/stick or cat-friendly decoration and you'd be good to go with a few nice cat shelves and furniture:

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
So, does that mean I'm not the only one with a cat who finds amusement in sitting on a surface and flicking things off one object at a time with their paw?

I have a thing for rocks. :p Whenever I go to the beach I don't hunt sea shells, I hunt for cool looking pebbles and rocks (some big enough to be doorstops). MowMOw loves to sit on the hall table where they are piled up and flick them across the room. I'm always finding them against the baseboards where they've hit the wall and thumped to the floor.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I have flower arrangements, delicate figurines and small photos in frames all over the place, and the girls never break anything. When they jump up, they delicately weave around the various ornaments, and they've done that ever since they were kittens. It never ceases to amaze me how careful they are. I don't think they're responding to anything I ever did. I think I just got lucky!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, does that mean I'm not the only one with a cat who finds amusement in sitting on a surface and flicking things off one object at a time with their paw?

I have a thing for rocks. :p Whenever I go to the beach I don't hunt sea shells, I hunt for cool looking pebbles and rocks (some big enough to be doorstops). MowMOw loves to sit on the hall table where they are piled up and flick them across the room. I'm always finding them against the baseboards where they've hit the wall and thumped to the floor.
I am laughing so hard at the visual.
Ducman I really really like the look of that living space.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Fortunately, I am a poor college student so my decor is pretty much junk or ikea (which, according to some people is junk).

Door frames though, my bf's fat cat loves to destroy.

·
Registered
520 Posts

Ah, you've struck a chord! On my kitchen round glass table, for years I have kept a number of smooth pebbles/stones I picked up when on a Cape Cod beach one summer weekend. Once Snowball moved from behind a baby gate to downstairs a few months ago, she discovered the pebbles, and then so did Little Hersh. Occasionally I hear the distinct sound of a pebble being pushed off the table onto the floor, then being knocked around the kitchen. They are great toys, except that like with furry mice and little balls, they tend to disappear to nooks and crannies in the house I didn't know existed.

And Sinatra-Butters said
I don't have decor, I have broken things and cats.
Hey, that's where I'm headed! Before I collected cats, lol, I started collecting sculptures. I have a lot of them. My Fab Four do not intentionally break them, meaning they do not push them off tables or shelves. But stuff happens. Today I was upstairs when I heard a loud "thump" from downstairs. Uh-oh! I went down to the family room to find a sculpture sprawled on the carpeted floor, having fallen (or been knocked) off a shelf seven feet high. Miraculously, while one piece detached from another, the whole thing remained intact. The first time that has happened (remaining intact, that is).

More typical is the first time I saw Hershey on a family room middle shelf, near two carvings. I carefully removed one, then gently picked him up to get him off the shelf. Big mistake! He kicked out his hind legs as I lifted him, catching the second sculpture, that was further away, knocking it upside down, crashing into and through a Japanese paper-walled floor lamp I've had for 15 years. One damaged lamp, one Owl carving with one foot decapitated, a claw severed on the other.

Yesterday my cable box stopped working. I called the cable company, and their main troubleshooting remedy from their call center is to have you pull out the plug, replug after a minute, and reset the signal. Of course Hershey decided to come help me while I was on the phone. Why he chose to come via a display shelf only he knows, but in his excitement to get close to the action he kicked an antler carving, severing in two an implement the figure was holding.

They are breaking my carvings faster than I can get them repaired. I have bought museum putty to try to keep the carvings affixed to their display areas, putty designed to withstand earthquakes, but I am not convinced the putty will prevail over cat antics!

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
We bought a new bookcase headboard and two new nightstands and ya know what they're used for..right cat walks. Now my cats have a new way to torture me in the morning. They pace back and forth meowing for their food and the bookend are used for cat naps.
Do you have any pictures on the wall over the headboard? I have a bookcase headboard...Holly has discovered she can now swing the painting over the bed on it's nail. She reserves using it for days when she feels I've been in bed waaaaaay too long and all her other antics have failed. Something else for you to look forward to....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts