Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I were cleaning out a storage area in our basement yesterday and we found a 3-quart roasting pan. The only problem is, it has been sitting in storage for Lord only knows how long and there is rust on the bottom of it on the inside.

So far I've tried pooring a can of Coca-Cola in it and letting it set overnight, pooring some vinegar in it and leaving it set for some hours today and these have helped only minimally.

I just got done dumping some lemon juice in it and will leave this sit overnight to see what happens.

In the event that this still doesn't clean it up, does anyone know of a good home remedy for removing rust out of a roaster? I suppose I could just throw the roaster away but I'm trying everything I can to salvage it before doing that. The roaster wasn't mine in the first place. It belonged to my mother-in-law but she no longer cooks and doesn't use it. I guess I'm a bit frugal. I hate to throw things away that have potential, and I LOVE to cook!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Being that roasters are usually porcelan or enamel coated, the coating has probably been compromised to the point of exposing the metal and the roaster will never be right, will prolly give foods a metallic taste should you decide to use it. I say scrap it.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was afraid of that. In fact, after trying the Coke, vinegar, lemon juice, and Coke one more time this morning things still didn't change that much. So I called one of my aunts and she basically said the same thing. It sounds like the coating has been eaten through and the damage is beyond repair. Oh well! I gave it my best I guess.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts