Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was feeling creative at the weekend and decided to make a toy for Ivan, I felt he needed a bit more stimulation (Marilyn hasn't played for about 10 years, if not more...).
I collected some cardboard toilet rolls out of the bin, about five, and stuck them together, side by side, with glue. I cut out some cardboard circles and taped them to the back of the rolls, so they had only one opening. Then I just searched for scraps around the house, a feather, some fake fur, ribbon and some velvet, and stuck them to the tops, hanging over the openings.
I heated up some bits of turkey, cat biscuits and a tiny bit of cheese (they go wild for cheese). I put these in the rolls, and set the thing on the floor in front of Ivan.
Once he smelled all the goodies inside, he went crazy! My original thoughts were for him to poke his paws in and push it around with his head, which was exactly what he did. I tried it with Marilyn too, and she liked it even more (particularly because of the cheese...)!
I was really pleased with the toy, and I'm going to keep adding to the toilet rolls so it builds up like a pyramid. It was really easy to make, and I recommend that you try it. I found that they liked it more if the food inside was warm, which I suppose releases the aromas.
Have you ever made any toys, if so how, and how did you cats react? :)

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I made a similar toy using paper towel rolls and putting treats inside (although I didn't heat up the treats). I also put treats inside empty Kleenex boxes that just have a slit in the plastic where the Kleenex would normally pop through. My girls enjoy fishing the treats out of both "toys".

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I don't feed my boys dry food often, so it is a treat when they get it. The toy I made for them was a plastic soda bottle with little holes cut in the side so they roll it around to get the dry food out.

I have a video somewhere, I'll have to post it later.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Oh! I should do that for Paizly! Do you have pictures of this contraption? I think I'm imagining it right, but I want to be sure. And the pyramid one sounds nifty, too!

I keep seeing commercially made toys, but they're all at least $10 + shipping... and I'm on a really tight budget right now. Nebbie will play with toilet paper rolls just by themselves, but Paizly needs a bit more motivation to play with stuff... and for some odd reason she's scared of store-bought toys like balls and mice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts