Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I have alot of questions to ask regarding my new kitten! His name is Polo and he's 4 months now. I have been feeding him a mixture of canned (IAMS) and dry (ADVANCED) food and he seems to be doing very well with these expensive foods. However, I chanced upon websites recommending feeding homecooked food. Does anyone know which is better? At the same time there are sites thrashing home-cooked food, saying that it's harmful to our cats. Please help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Homemade diets

Hi,I use a homemade diet for my cats but it is not an easy thing to do-you need to find a nutritious and balanced diet (I workrd with a vet and a nutritionist)I feel that the benifits of raw food and no chemical additives is worth thr extra effort and expense.Commercial diets are fine but they too have a downside-you have no control over quality of ingredients or the dyes and chemicals commonly used in pet food.If you use raw food you will need to worry about salmonila(sp) and e-coli-I treat my meat with food grade paroxiode to kill most germs.I have used this type of feeding for almost 20 years and have never had trouble with bacteria.I do think that my crew tends to live longer but I have no proof that it does.I have had 6 cats live to be in their late 20's one was 29 when he passed.To feed homemade or commercial needs to be a individual decision made with lots of research and commitment.JMHO Marla

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I feed my cats homecooked. Not raw though. It's more expensive but you have ful control over the ingredients. It's not easy, at the beginning. You need to find some good litterature or a nutrinionist that can help you out. I found a great book about the subject but it's in Swedish, sorry (homecooked cat food in Sweden is almost unheard of so the fact that I found a book about it was like a miracle). There's a lot of great info about homecooked cat food on the Internet, mostly about raw homecooked food and I'm sure there's some English litterature. Search for BARF (Bone And Raw Foof) on the Internet and I'm sure you'll find a lot. Probably mostly for dogs, but for cats too.

My cats have eaten Royal Canin for most of their lives and they've done good on it. But there's been a huge change since I switched to homecooked food. Less stool, great coats and the overweight lady lost all the extra weight and is now in her prime :wink:

Homecooked food can of course be devastating if the owner doesnät know what she/he is doing so it's a big commitment and responsibility in making the cat food oneself.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I definitely recommend a homemade diet, cooked or raw, depending on how you feel about it. Raw definitely has risks, but they are manageable. However, as others have mentioned, it takes a serious commitment. Most homemade diets go wrong when people run out of a supplement, then forget to get more, or they get lazy and starting leaving things out, etc. It is imperative to follow the diet exactly, all the way, all the time, to prevent serious nutritional problems.

For more info check these sites:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=014
http://www.blakkatz.com/natural.html
http://www.felinefuture.com
http://www.catnutrition.org

It's worth investing in 2 or 3 good books on the subject, too. My article lists several good ones.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great!

Now that I have some affirmation, I think I shall go ahead with the homemade diet once the commercial cat food has got over. Should I still continue to feed kibblet? Or will my kitten depend entirely on the homemade food? Also, raw meat may contain salmonella or other bacteria so what should I do? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Re: Great!

gellyutopia said:
Now that I have some affirmation, I think I shall go ahead with the homemade diet once the commercial cat food has got over. Should I still continue to feed kibblet? Or will my kitten depend entirely on the homemade food? Also, raw meat may contain salmonella or other bacteria so what should I do? Thanks!
Kibble won't be necessary and now is the time to start giving them the food you want them to eat. It took me over a month to get the oldest lady off the dry food, but there were no problems to get the younger kitties off the dry food.

If the kitten doesn't like the homemade stuff (which I highly doubt) make sure it smells fresh and delicious. Cats don't care much about the taste, it's the smell that counts. Some tunawater or broth often smells good enough to make the cat eat the new food.

When it comes to raw meat and bacterias... Do as you feel. If you're unsure about feeding raw, start by giving cooked, You can always switch to raw when/if you feel more secure. But when it comes to raw meat it's important with hygien. Clean hands, clean desks and knives. You can freeze the meat before you feed the it to the cat. The freezer tends to kill off most germs.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Freezing does not kill bacteria; doesn't affect them at all. Freezing for at least 72 hours does kill some worm larvae and a few protozoal parasites like Toxoplasma.

This is exactly why you need to do your research BEFORE beginning a raw food diet. If you had, you would know that most commercial meat is in fact contaminated with not only Salmonella but Campylobacter and other bacteria, but you would also know why Salmonella is generally not considered a problem for cats.

Do not leap into a homemade diet before you have THOROUGHLY researched it, including reading at least 2 books on the subject.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
OK, kill wasn't the right term. But freezing does stop bacterias from "reproducing". And it's important that one keeps the meat cold between the grocery shop and home, if feeding raw food.

And when it comes to Salmonella... in Sweden it's more likely you'll find salmonella in commercial pet food than in high quality meat. And many forms of salmonella aren't even harmful.

But, like I said, I don't feed raw food for many different reasons but mainly because I don't like handling raw meat. My cats aren't to fond of aw meat either, they rayher eat cooked meat.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
You'll find Salmonella in virtually all commercial pet foods in the US, too--but commercial dry and canned foods are cooked at high temperatures, so all the bacteria are dead.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 9 of 9 Posts