Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have been trying to figure out what type of raw diet is best for me and Banjo. It seems that a lot of people recommend a ground, homemade diet, but I can't really see the benefits of grinding(Other than if your cat is reluctant to tackle bones).

I feel like frankenprey is a better option, just because I wouldnt need to add so many supplements like I would to the ground diet, and because we would get all the benefits from chewing the muscle and bone.

I read "raising cats naturally" and I really don't see why she only recommends a ground diet. Maybe this is the recipe that Michelle has always used, so she is standing by it.

Are there any real benefits to grinding a raw diet? Are there any reasons not to go the frankenprey route?

·
Registered
709 Posts
IMO, the only benefit to a ground diet is ease of use for the human.

We do frankenprey, with some ground (meat and sometimes bone/chicken), some whole prey and the variety really seems to make the kids happy. :)

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, i feel better now. I feel like the ground method is pushed because it is more convenient, and people may be more willing to except it. I am debating weather or not to buy a grinder, but for now I think I will just get a scale and start there :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
ok, i feel better now. I feel like the ground method is pushed because it is more convenient, and people may be more willing to except it. I am debating weather or not to buy a grinder, but for now I think I will just get a scale and start there :)
My local grocery store (Vons) grinds the meat w/bones for me for free. I buy the organic chicken thighs once a week, only a pound, to mix with their Nature's Instinct. My senior kitty refuses bones but loves everything else, so I always ask them to double grind the meat. I do, however, buy a "kitty food kit" packet from Wild Kitty to mix with it so there's no holes in the nutrition.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is no need to buy a grinder. If your cats have good teeth and can handle chunks and bones, frankenprey or whole prey is the way to go. Ground raw is convenient and better than non-raw if your cat has poor teeth. I personally feed ground raw to accommodate my old lad as he struggles with whole bones and chunks. But the young'uns get plenty of chicken wings and chunks.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I feed ground raw, and yes, it's a matter of convenience mostly. I also have Patches, THE most finicky cat on the face of the planet! :razz: On top of being extremely picky about her food, she has very few teeth anymore, and chewing anything is out of the question. Have tried chunks with her, and she can only handle it so long, and it gets uncomfortable for her.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I wanted to add, there is absolutely nothing wrong with feeding ground raw, so if you are on the fence about what to do.......do whatever works best for you. It seems that people seem to cut it down, and make it seem like you are doing your pets wrong if you are not feeding frankenprey or whole prey. That is absolutely not true. If you choose to feed ground, you are still leaps and bounds above feeding the dry kibble, and doing really well for your pets! I would just say, choose your supplements wisely, and read labels. There can be alot of added, unnecessary additives in supplements these days.

My kitties are doing wonderful on their ground, they get lots of added water, and it keeps them happy, they love meal time. The vet says they have beautiful coats, and that's what matters in the end.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The majority of my raw feeding is ground, but I do feed liver and whole chunks and RMB's a few times a week. Ground is much easier to be sure, but frankenprey can be a snap too- anything can be as long as you plan ahead and freeze it in individual portions!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.