Cat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a sweet woman, "A", who lives in an assisted living facility that allows small pets. "A" loves cats and used to have one. Sadly the cat became diabetic and she could not care for him. Fortunately the vet kept the cat as an office pet. For years "A" wanted another cat but she was told she couldn't afford one and her kids didn't want to bother taking the cat to the vet. Last year another woman in the facility who had a cat passed away. After a few days of the cat wandering around they decided to let "A" keep her. "A" was so happy to have the company of a cat again. Sadly "A" fell and broke two bones. And they have decided she can't afford the cat food so they are planning on taking the cat to a shelter. I have offered to pay for the cat food but I think it is more than that. I live many hours away so there is only so much I can do. I don't understand why her kids won't help her keep a cat when having a cat makes her so happy.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
My daughter is PT, who works for a Home Health Agency.
She visited a patient in a care facility, who had a cat. The woman loved her cat, but her dementia meant the cat wasn't always fed and the litterbox was awful.
After finishing the visit, my daughter went to the store and bought wet and dry food, along with litter and a scoop. She nicely chewed the staff out for not noticing the starving cat and the woman's daughter for not making sure the cat was receiving proper care. For the next 8 weeks, my daughter was checking on the cat at each visit and it was doing better.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Her kids don't seem to care. This cat has helped this woman so much. People just don't understand how much animals help us and make us happy. If I was in this woman's situation I know that this cat would help give me so much happiness and help me to live longer and help me make it thru difficult situations. So many people don't understand the bond and nonjudgmental help that animals give us. I wish I could help her children understand this. It's a sad situation and unless the her kids can feel this I don't know if it will help. So sad. Maybe someone could point out about how much therapy cats ( animals) help the elderly. Maybe they could look it up online and find out. Tell them it is worth the effort to find out how much animals help us especially when we become sick and disabled.

Kathy

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Making Rounds With Oscar

I think every assisted living facility and nursing home should allow animals. Oscar the cat in this book shows how comforting and therapeutic an animal can be NOT ONLY for the patient, but also for the family of the patient - even more so in some cases. those kids of "A" don't seem to understand. this book should be required reading for everyone in the medical field, i think.

if only the nurses in the facility gave it a try, i'm sure 99% of them would learn to really appreciate what a huge help cats can be to their patients.

i'm so sorry you're having to worry about this situation. couldn't the facility also put up a sign for all the residents asking if ANYONE there would want to adopt this cat so he/she could stay there? then "A" would still be able to visit with him/her, but not have primary responsibility.

·
Registered
275 Posts
This makes me so sad.
We recently had to move my Dad into assisted living. Most of the facilities we looked at allowed small pets.
The two facilities we liked the best had RESIDENT animals. One place had a dog and a cat. The facility Dad is currently in has three cats that reside in the facility and "belong" to everyone.

Is there any chance you could speak with administration at the facility and see if they could work something out to have the cat be a "resident" cat? IF people offered to pay for food and litter, maybe they would be willing to try it?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For the next 8 weeks, my daughter was checking on the cat at each visit and it was doing better.
Your daughter is a sweet person.

Does she understand that the shelter (at least here, depends where you live) for an adult cat is pretty much a death sentence? Do her kids? that could help...
I don't want to be the one to explain that to her. There is a no-kill rescue nearby. So I hope the worst case scenario is the cat is taken to a no-kill rescue.

If I was in this woman's situation I know that this cat would help give me so much happiness and help me to live longer and help me make it thru difficult situations.
If I'm ever in that situation I'll want a cat or two. If my cat were taken from me I might lose the will to live.

Making Rounds With Oscar
Oscar's a very special cat. I enjoyed that book even if it did make me cry.

couldn't the facility also put up a sign for all the residents asking if ANYONE there would want to adopt this cat so he/she could stay there?
I am inquiring but so far no luck. The other residents enjoy the cat but most are unable to care for a cat.

Is there any chance you could speak with administration at the facility and see if they could work something out to have the cat be a "resident" cat?
I'm inquiring but not hopeful.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
keeping my fingers crossed for your mom and kitty

i'm sending all good thoughts your way. hope the facility is successful in keeping that kitty there.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I was so sad to hear this story but am so delighted by your willingness to see a great need and do whatever you can about it. You are such an angel for this woman and the other residents there. I am so appreciative of your efforts because it touched a deep nerve: my own great grandmother having her kitties taken and kept from her life.

When I was around one year of age, my grandmother was against my great grandmother keeping her cats.. when she was able to take care of them. So much against it, in fact, she entered her home uninvited, removed them and took them all to a shelter. She tried over the years to acquire and keep a cat, but each time my grandmother heartlessly took them from her. So she resorted to keeping cat stuffed animals. She'd set them in numerous places around her house just so that from the corner of her eye, it felt like she had feline friends keeping her company. (She was rather secluded because of my grandmother.) One had a food bowl placed in front of it. My heart breaks for the pain she endured losing her beloved kitties and that I was too young to do anything. But you are seeing this and are actively doing something about it.. so impressed. Well done, well done! I hope everything works out for everyone.. and the kitty.. in the end!

Paws to you!

·
Premium Member
9,121 Posts
First Id like to thank you for being proactive in trying to help this cat and this woman. I do TNR and rescue in a small town south of tucson arizona that is a retirement community. I could go on and on how the cats weve adopted out to retired people have enriched their lives. There are many good suggestions already posted to help you convince the administration to retain this cat.

I just got two cats readopted out that had been cats of a gentleman who loved his cats and they enriched his life as he went thru alzheimers disease. Then passed away.

My family just placed my mother in an assisted /memory care home in the Minneapolis area. They have a dog and two cats on each floor. My mother really enjoys the dog. They even have a dog and cats on the memory care floor. That was a big plus when we were looking where to place her.

I hope this has a happy ending for you. Keep us posted. Please dont let them take this cat to a shelter as most shelters are killing shelters. As an example of the Human Society. Sending prayers your way.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Today I was assured that, for now, the cat will remain. Long term is still uncertain.

my own great grandmother having her kitties taken and kept from her life.
That is so sad. Animals are great companions and I would be very upset and sad if somebody repeatedly took my pets from me and dumped them at the shelter.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sadly, they took the cat away while the woman is recuperating at another facility. She is expected to return home soon and nobody has yet told her the cat is gone.

The good news is that the cat has a home and was not dumped at a shelter.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I feel so bad for the poor woman. I would be absolutely devastated. hoping to recover with Kitty by my side, finding out theyve gotten rid of my Kitty. Cats, at least mine for me, are very theraputic. They just help your moods if youve had a bad they. they will snuggle or you just watch them do cute little things. Even watching them sleep is peaceful and makes you smile.

This poor woman :(

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
That would be awful. I was only in hospital for 6 days, but all I could think of was how badly I wanted to cuddle and kiss MowMow. He's my furry security blanket and being without him was eating me up.

I couldn't imagine what would happen if I got home and he was gone!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.