Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

as promised some, I would like to share some photos I made. I hope they will be of some interest to you.

These are some feral cats that live on the premises of the hospital I've spent some time last year. They are taken care of by some people I met - they feed them and offer them veterinary help. You may notice, that some of them have cropped ear - this is done in order to differentiate which cat was neutered in the past.

I've spent over three months in that place so I've had plenty of time to get to know the cats that live there. The place itself is rather gloomy and cheerless, but the cats seems to be happy there.

The entrance gate:

The young ginger that live in the backyard:

His bored colleague:

The Dark Knight (from the backyard also):

Bad meets Evil:

The Elderly from the parking lot:

My personal favourite - we called him Bi-Colour. He, Stella and some other cats all live in the front of the hospital. You may notice the scar on his face...

Stella, the Princess:

Bi-Colour's Brother - hangs around the parking lot:

And finally the elevated crossing that I used for some time... The cats are living in the woods you can see just beyond the fence.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Beautiful. Nice to have cats around when ill. Glad they are being taken care of.

( Bi-Colour and his "brother" are probably.. very Likely. Her and her sister?) Both can come live with me!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow, I was certain they are both males - how can you tell?
I thought that this scar was indication that he was in some fights between the males...
Generally speaking calicos/torties are only female. I've never seen a male in all the cats I've rescued or known when I worked as a vet tech. Not impossible mind you, there are some colorful males out there, just for the most part only female.

Love the pics :) Thank you for sharing!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Both Bi-Colour and he other are Tortoiseshell cats. only about 1 - 3000 are male.

So I am guessing female. though there is ALWAYS a chance one could be male...

But then I have had a Calico male before. So yes. I happens just not as often!!

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Thanks, I stand corrected :)
That's an interesting fact - my ginger cat's sister is nice tortoiseshell, so unusuall that it was booked just after birth...

Ursjusz the ginger on the other hand is uniform in his coat.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I always think of cats that live outside would be thin but those cats seem well fed and plump.
They are well taken care of - at least two people visit and feed them daily, and there are some money collected inside the hospital for and veterinary care.
There are some foundations that help in taking care of city feral cats, probably they are backed in this case as well.

They are so well off that they actually don't want to hunt mice that are present in the compound - or at least I was told so...

And they are beneficial also - it helps the recovery of the patients to see such creatures :)

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Wow, I know ferals are outdoors mainly, but how do they keep warm and out of the elements? I'm sure it gets cold enough up there, especially during the winters. Is there a shelter built for them to get in from the cold and rain?

Such excellent quality photos, though. :thumb I enjoyed looking through all of them. Bicolor would be my favorite, too! She's got gorgeous coloring, and I'm always intrigued with calicos and torties, lol. Guess Botany & I would be competing with you if we were up there with you, lol. :wink:

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, I know ferals are outdoors mainly, but how do they keep warm and out of the elements? I'm sure it gets cold enough up there, especially during the winters. Is there a shelter built for them to get in from the cold and rain?

Such excellent quality photos, though. :thumb I enjoyed looking through all of them. Bicolor would be my favorite, too! She's got gorgeous coloring, and I'm always intrigued with calicos and torties, lol. Guess Botany & I would be competing with you if we were up there with you, lol. :wink:
Thanks, I'm glad that you liked the photos :)

The cats have their shelters in campus basements. I've noticed many buildings, where the basement windows were left intentionally open for cats to take shelter.

I've had much difficulties getting those photos because it got cold in November and most of the cats were hidden somewhere.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's so kind that so many people are looking out for them. And I can only imagine the healing aspect they play just in their presence for patients to watch them.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Wow, they are certainly very well-fed! BiColor's face is amazing! You managed to get some wonderful photos - each one makes you wonder what the cats are thinking about, and what their lives are like.

How far away were you when you took these pics? Do the kitties let people approach them?

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, they are certainly very well-fed! BiColor's face is amazing! You managed to get some wonderful photos - each one makes you wonder what the cats are thinking about, and what their lives are like.

How far away were you when you took these pics? Do the kitties let people approach them?
Thanks, I really enjoyed taking those photos :) Bi-Colour is amazing indeed, every other day I saw people taking photos of him with their mobiles. She is my favorite as well.

Their lives must be rather happy - they are taken care of, they are fed, they have shelter and spend their time on the sun if the weather is right. The people who take care of them are actually cat maniacs, I talked with the man once and he explained that sometimes he had to keep a close eye on some of the cats in order to ensure that they eat properly they dietary food…

They allow only they caretakers around themselves, so the max approach distance was 1-1,5 meters (3-6 feet)... One of the younger ones allowed to be bet once, but they normally run if you come too close. I used some tele-lenses I own in order to get some nice close-ups without disturbing the cats.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Wonderful photos, you have a way with your subjects. I like the black and white cat in the leaves and the photos of Stella best. These cats are truly living the life they prefer.
I hope you're fully recovered from being in the hospital.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Albert_The_Cat, your photography is just tremendous! Such gorgeous pictures of those kitties. I think it's so great that they're cared for and get to roam the land. They definitely look well taken care of! :D

Seriously, your photography could be featured in magazines, websites, etc. You should definitely look into that (if you haven't already!) :) I wish you lived closer, I would pay you in a heartbeat to take pictures of my Ellie and Tootsie... I can never get good photos of them, especially with my low-quality iPhone camera!

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wonderful photos, you have a way with your subjects. I like the black and white cat in the leaves and the photos of Stella best. These cats are truly living the life they prefer.
I hope you're fully recovered from being in the hospital.

Thanks, having cats of my own helps to get along with other cats indeed :) I like picturing cats, they are gracious subjects.

Stella is one of my favourites as well - next to Bi-Colour. They seems to be pals, since they hang around together.

I know Stella by name, because I spoke with one of their caretakers - she wasn't born on the premises like many other cats, but rather wandered into compound or was abandoned there. Now she is living her happy cat life there :)

I have recovered - the hospital doesn't look encouraging, but they are taking good care of the patients, and cats as well apparently :)
I was struck down for four months and was six months on the sick leave, but now I have resumed my job and started taking photos again, which is great :) I will share them with you whenever I have something nice :)

Best Regards!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts