Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys hope everyone is keeping safe,

I have a very odd situation with my cat, for a while now he has been pooping on the floor and peeing in the box. A few weeks ago he suddenly developed some patches of fur that are missing, we thought this might be because he is licking himself a lot, he isn't scratching a lot and he has no bumps on his skin. we bought him a cone so he can stop licking so much and suddenly he started pooping and peeing in the box, as soon as you take the cone of he reverts back to pooping on the floor.

we are more worried about the missing fur does anyone have any idea what could be causing it and also why his behavior would change with a cone on. He is generally very skittish and scared especially when there is a new person around, he would be under the bed for a few days hiding away, it takes at least 3 weeks for him to warm up to someone new. see attached images of fur loss.

Thanks in advanced

Attachments

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
This may be Ringworm (it's not a worm but a fungus), and is highly contagious to other animals and people. Take your cat to the vet to have it properly diagnosed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He has been treaded for that and also recently dewormed, is ringworm something that could come back? He is an indoor cat only.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Yes, it can come back. The nasty thing about ringworm is that the spores can get picked up by hands or feet, etc. I've had ringworm once in my house and that was enough! I used a hospital grade cleanser (simple green d Pro 3) at my local hardward store and washed the floors and wiped down everything---floors, window sills, baseboards, furniture, etc. and washed all cats' blankets. It's been some years now but I think I did it at least once a week and maybe more often. I used an antifungal cream Clotrimaderm---also works on Athlete's Food, Jock Itch as well as Ringworm---from local drug store to put on the cats' lesions and my own neck!, and after about 6 wks. I got rid of it, and it didn't come back. This happened some years ago so there are likely other medications that will do the job.....you can check with your vet. You really have to be diligent and keep on top of it, or it will keep returning. All the best!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts