Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How affectionate is your cat? Please give examples.

Mine will be 2 next month (have had her since August). Mine used to be a little bit. She used to wanna sit on my lap during TV time and sleep with me (both during winter time of Dec-Jan). It's been a few weeks now since she's done either very often. I now get that about once every 2 weeks.

Does anyone know any tips or tricks for restoring that affection that was once there? Or what was your experience with that?

--
"We must believe in luck. For how else can we explain the success of those we don't like?" -- Jean Cocteau

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nicky (he'll be two in April) was a very affectionate, demanding kitten.. who matured into a very independent cat. He still demands his lap time at night while I'm at the computer before bed, but other than that, he's just not the cuddling type. He follows me around the house and "helps" with whatever it is I happen to be doing, initiates games, likes to be picked up for short periods of time, purrs when I give him attention, and enjoys carrying on "conversations" with me.. he's very outgoing and people-oriented, he just isn't a lap cat. Occasionally, he'll go through phases where he doesn't want to be bothered at all or won't leave you alone, but usually he's pretty moderate.

Tyson (9 months-ish), on the other hand, is the quintessential lap kitty. Though he doesn't care for unfamiliar people, once he gets to know you, he doesn't particularly care what the heck you are doing, so long as it involves you holding, and, if possible, brushing him.. once he gets going, you couldn't pry him off if you wanted, lol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have to admit that with 12, I am kind of grateful for the ones that are NOT lap cats, less fighting over me!
However, I do have a few that I am working on right now to be more affectionate. Sometimes, the best way to get a cat to pay attention to you is to IGNORE It! Cats sometimes really respond to that. Other methods however are available. :) One thing I am doing with two adorable kitties right now is that whenever I am walking by where they are laying I will meow at them in the same tone that they use with me, I will then put out my fingers towards them maintaining a good distance from them with my body. Usually they will sniff my fingers then scent mark them. Sometimes they even LET me pet them. These two are now starting to occasionally come and get on my lap. One even sat on my lap a few weeks ago and grabbed my chin in her mouth! I think she thought she was my mom!! It was adorable.
Now my affectionate cats all vary in what they do. Harley, he thinks I am his mommy, he gets up on my belly (my very big belly for another few weeks) and tries to nurse on me, Not in the RIGHT spot, just anywhere on my belly or neck or chest, always soaking my shirt with DROOL. He was sadly taken from his real mommy too early. Ginger, she is just so incredibly verbal and smart, but when she calms down enough to lay down, she curls up on my lap and sleeps for ages, but I am NOT allowed to move, any slight movement and she gets very offended yells at me and leaves. Akiro is very precious, he will lay on you or next to you, but he insists on having some part of him on you. He has taken to laying next to me with his little head propped up on my side, or he will reach over and lay a paw over my hand. I am not sure how these cats came to do these things, they are just naturally affectionate I guess. I know that every cat is different!

·
Registered
220 Posts
All of my cats are lap cats. Some more than others. I think that it depends on who is already on my lap because some of them will not interfere with the ones that are already there. I have 4 Siamese mix and I have noticed the same trait in all 4, that they will not jump on my lap whenever there is a furkid already there. Also, they will jump off of my lap if another cat jumps on. For this reason, I believe that all of my cats are lap kitties because of those who are not too affectionate, will at times, jump on my lap or next to me and sleep.

As far as affectionate goes, I have 3 who are with me nearly evey minute of the day. One is a rescue from the Wichita Kansas animal shelter's parking lot- Sammy cat, an orange male who keeps getting bigger :shock: Then there is Tiara, a tortie who came with me from central Calif. And the third is Max, an older (appx 10+ years old) very large orange cat that was rescued from our local shelter. All of them continually want cuddlies, and lap time. Sammy plays with the other furkids more than Tiara and Max, but I figure in his age-being less than 1 year old.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I keep wishing that Angel was a lap kitty, but that hasn't happened yet. She will lay on the couch next to me and that is almost as good. I keep hoping she will see how comfortable it can be sitting in my chair with me, though. Maybe one of these days...

Her affection is shown in the early morning hours. And I do mean ~early~! This morning (Saturday, no less...) she jumped up on my bed and curled up on my chest at 4:00. It is kind of tough to be awakened that early, but I wouldn't miss the opportunity to love on her. She will usually lay there for 20-30 minutes, purring up a storm. Today, she stayed for an hour, even falling asleep with her nose all nuzzled up in my neck.

It just doesn't get any better than that! Even if I did have to wake up that early.

Peace,
Mike

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well, my cat used to be very anti social. :lol: She would never come up to me wanting to be stroked, and would hardly ever purr. But then all of a sudden, one day she just started to rub her face all over my feet and love to be stroked. She comes in purring and meowing, all happy to see me now. :) She never sits or sleeps on my lap, but she will sit next to me. She likes to sleep at the end of my bed nearly every night. And if i sleep on my side with my legs tucked up towards my chest, she will find a cosy spot there. This morning, around 4 or 5, she came at the end of my bed purring. Then she slept there. There are some mornings when she will walk all over my pillow, rubbing her face on me. Its very cute, but also very annoying.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Stix (1) used to be an evil little thing, he would bite people for no reason and things like that. Then he got neutered and he kind of calmed down. He now will purr only when my bf pets him and is a lap cat only to my bf. I guess he doesnt like the fact that I always pick him up and love on him. He will still let me pet him but I cant make him purr or stay in my lap. :cry:

Kota (5mths) is just as sweet as she could be...she purrs for anything, even if you just look at her. She loves playing with anyone and anything, she loves to be loved on. She is in her kitten stage and likes to do more exploring than sitting on laps but she wont object to being held and stuff.. I hope she stays that way!

·
Registered
26 Posts
:) My Teresa loves to sit on my lap, or if I am not sitting down she hangs around my feet, she hasn't quite gotten the idea that feet sometimes STEP on cats who are very quiet. Its annoying because she sometimes will NOT get off my lap all day long and I am wanting a break. She is very insecure. I know that someone in her past abused her because she has some very strange back problems and cringes whenever she gets in trouble. Poor Kitty! I can never get rid of her now! I would hate to think she could get abused again.
Then there's Daphne, She is an affection HOG, if you pay her the slightest attention, she will NOT leave you alone. All you have to do is put your hand or even foot out and She will PET HERSELF with it! No effort from you at all! It's a little funny, but she gets very demanding not letting you stop, she'll meow and press herself against you and NOT leave you alone for a while.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Maybe you could reward your cat with treats everytime she jumps on your lap.
Once in a while, my cat like's to lick my face and hands and snuggle with me.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hawkeye isn't affectionate at all, the other 3 are though, Radar will alway come onto the bed with us at night and cuddle in to us for a littile while, Becky loves lying on my chest while I pet her, Willow is just a little doll, she jumps onto the computer desk and rubs herself against me

·
Registered
148 Posts
Wow! Im shocked. My cat has just come back in, and she is so happy to see me. I sat on the sofa, and tapped on my lap. She actually came up on my lap. She only came on there shortly, but then she layed down by the end of my feet. ::)) Awww, she looked so cute. She never lays on this sofa. She soon got off though, and went down by the fire which is her favourite spot!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Awww!! :) How sweet!
My kitty Akiro who usually only loves on me when I am in the bedroom was sitting on my lap earlier, It was so sweet! He was just LOVING being petted

1 - 12 of 12 Posts