Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
we normally don't have many people over at our place often, but we'll have friends and family over maybe once every couple weeks or so.

aster and cody seem to have been pretty much the same when people come over, where they are both a little shy and hide a bit more and are a bit more skittish, but eventually they come out for a little bit and check people out butthey still seem a bit nervous though.

this past weekend we had friends over on both days which is probably the most people contact since we've had them and they still seem shy. i was hoping they would slowly outgrow it.

just wondering how everyone else's kitties are when guests are over. i'm hoping in due time they will get used to other people around to the point where they arent startled and bolt under the dining room table when someone starts laughing or make too fast a move.

my fiance and i are both going to be out of town for a few days at the end of this month, and i'm just nervous they will be too stressed when we're gone and have other people come over to check on them, and play with them and stuff.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
Nosy. MowMow waits in the hallway until he sees that the visitor isn't my ex. Once he is sure it is not, then becomes who I call Ambassador Nosy.

When they sit down he climbs all over them and smells their hands, hair, face and clothes. Lays on them, purring like crazy. If they bring purses, computer bags or other items he has to sniff those and rub all over them and climb into them.

Once he's completely investigated all the new people and their belongings he comes to where I'm sitting and settles himself on me as usual. Once the visitors LEAVE he's active again. He smells all the places they sat and walked and investigates everything they touched.

*If it is my ex at the door and MowMow sees, hears or smells him he high tails into his secret hiding place and won't come out until he's sure it's safe.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Meatball is cautious by nature. She won't run away or hide, but she will keep a distance and observe. It takes about an hour for her to venture closer. However, if I hold her and bring her to my friends, she is ok to be pet by strangers as long as she is in my arms.

Metoo choose people. For some of my friends she immediately go forward and rub/sniff/play with them, while for others she just ignore them. I don't know what her selecting criteria is...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nosy. MowMow waits in the hallway until he sees that the visitor isn't my ex. Once he is sure it is not, then becomes who I call Ambassador Nosy.

When they sit down he climbs all over them and smells their hands, hair, face and clothes. Lays on them, purring like crazy. If they bring purses, computer bags or other items he has to sniff those and rub all over them and climb into them.

Once he's completely investigated all the new people and their belongings he comes to where I'm sitting and settles himself on me as usual. Once the visitors LEAVE he's active again. He smells all the places they sat and walked and investigates everything they touched.

*If it is my ex at the door and MowMow sees, hears or smells him he high tails into his secret hiding place and won't come out until he's sure it's safe.
thats awesome. i think my friends/fam want our kitties to give them more love and be more nosy with them! they are definitely curious, they love sniffing people out, and will handle a petting or two, but they seem to like to be distant for the the most part.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Meatball is cautious by nature. She won't run away or hide, but she will keep a distance and observe. It takes about an hour for her to venture closer. However, if I hold her and bring her to my friends, she is ok to be pet by strangers as long as she is in my arms.

Metoo choose people. For some of my friends she immediately go forward and rub/sniff/play with them, while for others she just ignore them. I don't know what her selecting criteria is...

they are the opposite when they are in my arms! i try to think that i'm making them feel safe, but i think they want the freedom to get further away if they choose.

i think they grativitate towards people that are more calm and friendly, and maybe not trying to pay attention to them too much. the one person that cody totally loves (cody would rather hide or be distant while aster will be nice and greet people, with caution) is my fiance's grandma. he jumped and sat right next to her the first time she met him. it was cute :)

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Tuffy does ok when it's one person in the house or maybe two if they are quiet and don't move to fast. But put my friends three kids in the house and he hides in the bed the entire time they are there. He just never has liked kids and as far as I know he's never had a bad experience with them, just doesnt' much like them.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tuffy does ok when it's one person in the house or maybe two if they are quiet and don't move to fast. But put my friends three kids in the house and he hides in the bed the entire time they are there. He just never has liked kids and as far as I know he's never had a bad experience with them, just doesnt' much like them.
they met one of my friend's one year old boy once. i think cody hid upstairs, he was nowhere to be seen. aster hid on the dining room chair but the boy found her and kept touching her nose. she didn't seem to mind at all, it was cute.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Murphy runs and hides upstairs when someone knocks on the door, and without fail, comes down within about 5 minutes to see what's going on. I think he just wants to make a big entrance.

·
Registered
83 Posts
How outgoing they are with strangers is largely a personality thing. Some cats are just more outgoing than others. Since they're still young though, you can encourage them to grow into confident adult cats. Get a brand/type of treats different than what you normally feed, and let those be "guest treats." When your guests come over, they can offer the cats the treats, just putting them down on the floor if the cats are too shy to take them from a stranger's hand. Once they get used to the fact that new people bring good things with them, they may grow to be more comfortable with having extra people around.

·
Banned
1,205 Posts
Chiquita was a stray and is a fraidy cat and hides when people come over.
I don't allow her to escape outside, I just let her hide in the bedroom and when there gone tell her it's safe to come out.
Samantha was indifferent to visitors, she was so full of herself she didn't care or mind.
She allows stranger to pet her and likes children as long as they didn't try to pick her up, if they did she would squirm away.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My two sound just like mowmow!
When we have people over they just want to know everything & get in everywhere and play with all the new things there are to play with.

They have both always been outgoing though. Both settled into our home within an hour of being bought back & we seem to have a constant flow of visitors.
They are also really good when I take them to my moms house and settle really quickly.

I deffo don't have scaredy cats! Lol

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
We very rarely have company over, but when we do...

Alice and Rochelle usually keep their distance, and will come over and say hi when they feel things are safe. Alice doesn't stay long though, as she's always on the go and new people just aren't interesting enough for her to slow down. :p Rochelle likes my boyfriend's mom though, and actually sat in her lap for a short time, the last time she visited (I was really surprised by that!).

Samantha however, is the complete opposite. She loves people (and she loves meeting new people as well). She always struts up to them as soon as they enter the apartment, tail high, with a big "hello!" meow, and then waits for acknowledgement...and if she doesn't get it, she meows again! :p She is also really excellent with kids and babies, when we go out.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Sorry for the double posty, but I should mention that Samantha is really only confident around me. If I'm not at home when company comes, she usually says "hi" and leaves it at that. If I'm home, it's like she's trying to impress both me and the guest/s with her charms. :p

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
We very rarely have company over, but when we do...

Alice and Rochelle usually keep their distance, and will come over and say hi when they feel things are safe.
My girls are like yours, Time Bandit. Sasha is a bit more outgoing, but we really have not had too much company since we got him. I had one visitor with an 11 year old child, but they were using power tools so that did not make the cats stick around.

They usually are pretty mellow once they feel the visitor is safe and will hang out in the livingroom on the cat tree or the ottoman's checking out the situation. They won't play when we have visitors over so I can definitely see that they don't feel totally at ease, but they do nap and just keep an eye on us around people they consider strangers.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Our house always has someone I have not given birth to in it :?

Sasha will sometimes greet and other times is asleep on our bed and doesn't realize anyone is over. She is pretty indifferent due to people going in and out all day long.

Mouse is very watchful. She is not a social butterfly with strangers. She will hide under the couch or behind the tv. Once she feels everything is okay, she will come out and play.

Sparta doesn't bat an eye at new comers.

Bentley loves people. He usually grabs a slobbery toy out of his toy box and drops it on the lap of the visitor lol

·
Registered
328 Posts
Our cats are both relatively indifferent when company comes. They were raised (until 4 months) in a foster home with lots of cats and lots of potential adopters coming in and out, so strange humans have never scared them at all. Neither of them hides, but they become very curious, sniffing and watching everything. Lily is usually not ok with strange people petting her - she contorts away from them and dashes off just out of reach, then watches them again. Sometimes she allows them the great privilege of petting her after awhile, though. :) Neither of them is particularly friendly to company; they pretty much just go about business as usual, except they are much quieter than usual! They always stay in the room with all the people, but that's how they always are. They can't bear the thought of missing something interesting! ;)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Well, with four cats everyone's different!

Torri spends a lot of time in our bedroom, but we bring her out when we have a few close friends over. She's super shy, so only people who can follow directions.

The other three run to the door when they hear the door bell or the door open. They want to see who's here! After the innitial look-see they each have different preferences.

Muffin wants everyone to snuggle, and love, and pet, and fawn on him. He purrs and makes happy-paws, and lovey-eyes, and flops onto people's feet. He just loves everyone. He's also been known to take someone's purse or a shoe and run off with it to wrestle. It's really funny. I have one friend that comes over who has to hide her purse. He loves it so much, it's very cute.

Doran wants to sniff shoes, he'll stick his whole head inside them if he can. He might roll on them too. He wants a little petting for some people, but if they sit on the couch he's all over them.

Jitzu wants to watch from afar. I let people pet her now (no one was allowed to touch her for a very long time), she's much nicer than she used to be. But I always tell people that she has to approach them, and not to hesitate when petting her. If you hesitate she'll scratch a bit, maybe fakey-bite. If you don't hesitate she's all arching backs and happy mews.
If she's having a naughty day, or if they haven't met her before I'll pick her up and then she'll let them pet her a bit. I always watch her carefully for cues and if she's had enough I put her in one of her safe spots.

It's actually prettty nice have two cats that are so easy going, our friends all know they can do just about anything with Muffin and he'll love it and come back for more. One of his favorite 'company's over' games is to roll onto his back in our kitchen and let us puch him around with our feet, he loves it! I can always redirect people to Muffin or Doran if they want to pet a kitty, that way Torri doesn't feel threatened and she's gradually getting better. Now she'll come up and sniff, maybe allow one little pet before she gets nervous and goes to watch from afar.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How outgoing they are with strangers is largely a personality thing. Some cats are just more outgoing than others. Since they're still young though, you can encourage them to grow into confident adult cats. Get a brand/type of treats different than what you normally feed, and let those be "guest treats." When your guests come over, they can offer the cats the treats, just putting them down on the floor if the cats are too shy to take them from a stranger's hand. Once they get used to the fact that new people bring good things with them, they may grow to be more comfortable with having extra people around.
it's so interesting to get to know a little bit more about everyone's cat's personalities :)

applesparks, this sounds like a great idea! i will have to try it out. thanks!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts