Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have yet to find a wet food that my cat will eat. I tried a few different brands and was wondering if I eventually get him to eat wet food, does he have to stick to one brand? Also, does he have to stick to one flavour? How bad is it to change from california natural venison wet food one night, to duck and peas IVD brand the next day, and then Wysong 100$ turkey after that?

What is the norm? I've only ever fed him dry and don't know how to deal with wet food.

thanks

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
No he doesn't, in fact it's recommended by vets that you give a good variety in diet so that the cat doesn't develop food addictions or allergies.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
It could, I suppose. That depends on the cat.

I've personally never had any problems with brand/flavor switching.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Maybe I've just been lucky, but my cats have never gotten sick from switching....they actually prefer a variety :D

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Agreed with everyone above. I have a constantly revolving variety of foods and brands.

True, some cats have sensitive tummies, and may get the runs if switched too quickly. You'll just have to see if your kitty is one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think it's important to stay in one quality. But my cat Caballito is so sensitive, also switching in one quality, sometimes he gets a diarrhoea. Only raw meat I may offer, that's okay for him.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I switch up different brand/flavor for both my cats every morning and night. Sugar has a sensitive stomach to dry food but on wet food she's fine. :lol:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Dry food eater

Maybe your cat is a dry food only cat. I have a couple like that. Their lips won't go near any canned food. Once in a great while they will eat some cooked chicken, but that's not often.

As for the others, they get a variety of foods. Just make sure they are of good quality and no tuna. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Oh, Thank You for asking this question!!!

It seems that Bosco is getting a different brand wet food daily.
Brand and Flavor...I have not noticed any problems with his stool
in his litterbox! YAY!!!
:D I am still searching for the food he goes crazy for!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Ianthe....hehe! So far I have tried...
9 Lives = Will not eat
Fancy Feast = Loves
Whiskas Pouch = No, will not eat.
Special Kitty Pouch = No, will not eat.
Nutro Pouch = Yes
Chicken Soup = No, will not eat.
Felidae = NO...runs from the smell! LOL!
Innova = Yes, if I hand feed.
Iams = Yes, only about 1 teaspoon at a time.
Wellness = NO! Runs from the smell! LOL!
Solid Gold = Yes, if I hand feed.
Precise = Have not tried yet...

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Holy cow!!!! That is alot of wet food :D My cats love Fancy Feast too :roll: I was hoping I would have some suggestions for you, but you have tried them all 8O All I can say is, Good Luck :lol:

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Ya....my goal is to find 2 of the better qualities that he will really like.
I do not want to hand feed him forever! Geeze...if I dont he will just smell it and walk away. The thing that bothers me about Fancy Feast is the artifical flavorings, whatever they are? :?
I am going to also try Pet Gold Elite.
I hope he likes the Precise...the ingredients look really good. :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
Mine LOVE fancy feast. But it has "meat-by product" so I've switched. Would it be okay to feed them fancy feast occasionally even though it has meat-by product? They like nutro pouches okay but would much rather have fancy feast. I just bought Avo-Derm. The ingredient list is awesome and they like it. Don't seem to inhale it quite like they did with fancy feast though.

I just started feeding them canned food. I didn't know any better until I met all of you! It did cross my mind but Zoë had such bad gas I thought it would be ten times worse on wet food. BUT IT'S GONE!!! I still free feed dry food but they eat wet a couple times a day. No more stinky kitty! :D
It’s good to know switching brands is okay…I was worried it wasn’t good for their tummies. They seem happier than ever though.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Ianthe...
Well, I went out and bought some cans of Pet Gold Elite today.
Yes!!! He loved it! They are on sale at Petco 2 for 1 this week!
I will have to go buy some more....but do you have an opinion about the rice in it....Why does it bother me that there is rice in the formula???

·
Registered
2,101 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
BoscosMum- Hooray!!!! I'm glad he liked it :D I had a feeling he might :D I'm not sure about the rice in it.......It IS kind of odd....but I figure if my cats like it so much, it's OK. Plus, rice or not, I KNOW Pet Gold Elite is way better than Fancy Feast, which is the other food my cats love :roll:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts