Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long can you leave wet food out before it spoils? I'm going to be gone for 3 days in July and my sister will come and feed my animals once a day, but I'm wondering how much wet to have leave out for the kittens? I was thinking maybe leaving them a 1/2 can each and then dry kibble, since they get kibble at the end of the day anyhow, once they've had their 3-4 meals of canned, because I can't afford to feed them all wet, they eat too much. LOL!! Right now they eat about 1 1/3 cans of the 5.5 oz cans per day.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Hmm, I used to leave MowMOw's out when I went to work and it was always gone by the time I got home. NOw of course they have to eat and that's it with Book here.

I probably wouldn't leave it out more than a few hours...

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I leave it out when I go to work. It's out about 10 hrs.

I think that after it gets crusty they just eat the dry food instead.

No deaths yet

·
Registered
415 Posts
I had someone feeding mine once a day while we were out of town, she put out a can of wet in the mornings and a couple scoops of dry, changed the water, scooped the box and everybody was fine when we got home. I think once it gets crusty they pretty much leave it alone. Just have them to clean up the excess when they come back. Mine threatened to leave gunk on the plate and feed them off of it all week. I said don't you dare. Lol. Gotta love family.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. I actually don't think the kittens will probably leave it alone for too long before eating it all anyhow. :)

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
We feed twice a day, at night before bed and in the morning... overall the food is probably left sitting there for 10 hours at a time if it is not finished. When it starts to get dried out they don't normally eat it, if we see it like that and it's only been a few hours, we flip it over... cats are happy to eat.

Sometimes the dog gets food that's been left out for 24 hours (we've forgotten to put it in the fridge), it's a waste to throw out... we mix it in with the fresh food and she eats it all. Never any issues there either.

Dogs and cats in the wild eat all sort of stuff that's been sitting out, sometimes for days... I don't see the harm in doing the same if there isn't something really wrong looking with the food and as long as the animals are willing to eat it.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Personally I think it would depend on the ingredients.

The Almo Nature, for example, is just meat (sometimes veggies/cheese) and water. Io gobbles it up as fast as she can anyways, but if she didn't I would hesitate to leave it out because there's nothing to preserve the stuff from going off. Most commercial foods have some soft of preservative in them, though, I think.

·
Registered
474 Posts
We leave food out when we leave for work too. Either they eat it all or it gets dried up and no one touches it afterward. No problems here so far...

·
Registered
252 Posts
This is another one of those times when I wish I had a kitty-cam. I'd love to know if Josie eats her food right after I leave the house for work, or if she waits until 5 minutes before I get home at the end of the day. Or, maybe she snacks on little bites throughout the day.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Heck...I've noticed dried up puke in an out of the way place, I'm doing something else and then forget to clean it. Remember 2 days later, go back and it's gone. And she's still alive (Holly is the only one who eats puke around here).

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Heck...I've noticed dried up puke in an out of the way place, I'm doing something else and then forget to clean it. Remember 2 days later, go back and it's gone. And she's still alive (Holly is the only one who eats puke around here).
Love it! That's Shepherd Book. MowMow eats too fast and brings it up? No worries, by the time I get the paper towels and cleaning sponge it's GONE.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My other cat used to do the same thing. I'd here her, go to find where it was and find nothing. She'd puke it and eat it back up faster than I could get to it. Weird kitties.

LOL about the kitty cam. I always wonder what they do while we're gone and would love to see if they just nap the whole time or actually play. Sometimes I think they just enjoy the quiet house and sleep since its summer and all the kids are home, it gets quite rowdy around here.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Good question, i was going to ask the same thing.

Do you serve it cold or nuke it before hand?
I generally leave the wet food out for about 30 minutes before i serve it but i was wondering how long to leave it out for. I get paranoid and don't leave it out for longer then an hour but going by this thread i shouldn't worry!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I serve mine cold. They don't seem to mind at all and gobble it right down. So glad it can be left out for awhile though, will make it a lot easier to give them the canned while I'm gone for a few days.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I feed Sienna between 6 and 6:30 in the morning and at least some of it is still there when I leave for work an hour or so later (and sometimes a bit is left when I get home in the evening .. I throw that out and rinse her bowl in hot water). She is fed in the evenings normally between 6 and 6:30 and it stays out until I rinse her bowl in hot water the next morning. I don't nuke her food but rather sit the food in a container in some warm water until it warms up.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm glad someone brought this up. I just started to feed my cat this way because she has a serious problem with canned food and weight...

I am giving her pouches of wet food. The recommended serving size for her ideal weight is 2-3 pouches per day. Keeping a long issue short, I'm giving her anywhere from 1 to 2 pouches a day. This keeps her satisfied. Since for the summer I am home all day, mostly, if she's going crazy for more food, I give her more of one of the pouches (I only give her half or a third at a time unless I am going to be gone all day).

I'm going to be continuing this practice after the summer break but leaving a full bag out at least overnight, so she doesn't wake me up at 4am.

My rule about the opened food though, is once the pouch is open, the remainder goes into the fridge. And if in the morning she didn't eat all her dinner, it gets tossed, just in case some bugs got in it.

No problems yet, so here's hoping...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts