Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Im not feeding raw just yet, but will be transitioning too, but one thing that comes to mind is maybe cutting it into smaller pieces and kind of mix it around with the rest of the meat?

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
First, heart isn't necessary. It's nice for variety, but your cat will do fine w/out it. Do try smaller pieces to get her used to it. I find that they will sometimes reject something for weeks and then suddenly try it and say, "AWESOME!" ;)

·
Banned
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hoofmaiden said:
First, heart isn't necessary. It's nice for variety, but your cat will do fine w/out it. Do try smaller pieces to get her used to it. I find that they will sometimes reject something for weeks and then suddenly try it and say, "AWESOME!" ;)
Cool, I forgot what is necessary and what isn't. I'll probably have to go look it up again. I'm pretty sure liver is necessary, but what else can replace hearts if she doesn't like it?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Heart is considered muscle meat so anything like chicken, beef, turkey, pork meat, etc. can replace it. Many raw feeders feed hearts because it has a lot of taurine but if your cats don't like hearts then you can sprinkle some taurine on their food which you can purchase at Whole Foods or any other health food store.

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
Honestly, heart has no more taurine than other muscle meats. Dark meat chicken (where the muscle is) has as much taurine as heart. No need to supplement (won't hurt if you do, but it's not necessary).

·
Banned
952 Posts
Hate to contradict, but it's a proven, measurable fact that heart muscle and brain tissue have the largest amounts of taurine in the body.

That said, heart meat itself is not a necessary ingredient for a successful raw diet. It is, however, a desirable addition, both for the added variety and for it's taurine content.

Have you tried beef heart? My cats will eat both beef and chicken, but yours may have a preference for one over the other. Also, whichever type you're offering, you might have some luck sprinkling it with freeze-dried meat treats like that made by Whole Life. I use this regularly when one of my cats goes all finicky on me - it never fails to entice a reluctant cat to eat. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts