Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I moved back home with my 2year old female kitty from university. My parents have a cat and she is also around the same age and sex. My kitty was introduced to my family's home before my parents cat, during last summer for 4 months and then we went back to school together. While I was away at school my parents got a kitty too. Now that I am home for a longer period of time, my entire family is struggling with these two kitties and their intolerance to each other:( They wake us up at night...we have to keep them separated at all times...they growl and hiss all day. It is not a pleasant atmosphere for any of us or the kitties. My kitty is an indoor cat and a 'scaredy' cat, while my parents kitty is like a lion of the jungles but ever so gentle with her loved ones. My parents kitty is both indoor and outdoor and I think that she is territorial because she was resuced, therefore she is very serious about her now luxurious and happy life with my family. They are both being territorial as it seems, and they stare eachother down all the time. They 'scrap' through the doors when my kitty is inside, and through the windows almost everyday. They are pissing all over the house to makr their territory. My mom and dad's kitty is very intimidating but I have noticed when they fight through the window it is my cat that seems to be the most freaked out one. My parents are threatening to give my beloved kitty away and that would truly break my heart. I dont want this to happen so if anyone out there has any information or tips on this sort of scenario, it would be more than appreciated!!!! They dont have to be bestfriends but I want them to atleast be able to live in the same house/ not try to kill one another.Thanks for your time,

Codie

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Hi Codie and welcome!
It's absolutely normal for cats not to get along right away. They are extremely territorial creatures. (Female or male has nothing to do with it by the way.)
You should Google "cat introductions" or search on here for the proper protocol for introducing cats. It requires complete separation for some time (this can be from a couple of days to weeks. It depends on the cats.) Then swapping smells, with towels and bedding. Then letting them see eachother and finally letting them meet. It takes patience and can take quite some time. But it usually works out.
Sounds like you've gotten off to a bumpy start but all isn't lost. Just start over. Most importantly, everyone needs to be relaxed. If you guys are nervous or upset, they'll pick up on it and things will be harder.
Since they have started peeing around the house, you'll need to get rid of that smell. The only way to really do that is to use a good enzymatic cleanser like Nature's Miracle. Personally, I think it's the only one that truly works. Check out the sticky at the top of Behavior for a step by step of getting rid of urine. "Things that saved my home..."
Don't give up and don't let your parents.Certainly not yet. Your cats are acting exactly as expected. Just follow the steps (all of them) and be patient.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts