Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feed my cat 2 times a day, once in the morning, and once at night, he gets half of a 6 ounce can of wet cat food in the morning and the other half at night, and he always has hard food down for him, and he usely eats that in the after noon, now my question is, how did he get so fat.. He weighs 6 and a half pounds(2.9 kilos)..

Any ideas on how, i feed him the same times and same ammount ever single day.

I let him out side daily to get some exerise in, but he just usely stays by the sidewalk until i let my dog out, then they start chaseing each other.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
First of all, 6.5 lbs is NOT fat. Many cats have an ideal weight of about 10-11 lbs. How old is he?
If your cat were overweight, it would easily be explained by the fact that you free feed him (always have food available). Many cats overeat due to boredom. I had this problem with all 3 of my cats. A year ago, they weighed 16, 15, and 15 lbs. Now that I don't free feed them, they are closer to 14, 13, and 12.
Has your vet suggested that kitty is overweight?

·
Registered
865 Posts
My poor cat Moby came to me heavy, and I've been struggling with him. He was 23 pounds when I got him, and then he was down to 18. But after that I lost my measuring cup for the cat food so I guesstimated for a couple weeks. I got one again, and now he acts hungry all the time. I feel bad - but it has to be done I guess.

I'm on Iams right now, they say 1 cup of dry weight loss food for his weight.

·
Registered
222 Posts
That's not fat. Yes, Moby is fat. Penny weighs 20 pounds nearly, primarily because she has been spayed. I fill their bowl once a day, kind of a diet thing, but also because they don't eat much in their bowl. Sam is only a mere 12 pounds, "mere" compared to Penny, anyway. "Fat" is most definately Penny, she may be fat, but she's still just as active as a non-overweight cat.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I don't think your cat is overweight at all! Btw, how old is your cat? My cats are 1 1/2 yrs old and they are each about 9-10 lbs each and I think that sometimes they are really underweight. I also think they're overweight sometimes when they are lying around. :lol:

·
Registered
672 Posts
If your cat is young, maybe you think he's getting fat because when they hit a certain age, they grow right before your eyes. 6 pounds is not very much...he must be around 7 months???? What breed is he? Maybe he's just fluffy. :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts