Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can you tell if a cat is spraying if you don't catch them at it? Do they normally spray in very public places or do they tend to go for more out-of-the-way, behind-furniture places?

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Could be anywhere they feel they want to protect as their territory. If this is in reference to Beren, he's too young to spray. But he could just be peeing some place inappropriate.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mostly I'm just curious. I think I just need to clean out my big litterbox now instead of waiting until tonight. I just was curious about what warning signs might be or if it was usually obvious that an area had been marked.

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
Well, you probably smell it, or find an area that's damp. If you're lucky you might actually see a wet spot, like I saw the wet spot on the bed where Twinkie urinated or the wet spot on the side where Rocket sprayed. But it's easier with multiple cats. The other cats will come along and give the spot that very interested but somewhat suspicious look and accusing look. The cat that ignores it is most likely the culprit. One spot I didn't realize had been sprayed on was one I found when I was checking with my nose to the fabric, smelling for urine, and came upon a spot on the couch where my nose encountered wetness.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts