Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for an affectionate lap cat since my 16 year old boy cat died back in April. It's so difficult to decide, I keep finding a cat or kitten that's very sweet but then I don't get them because I keep worrying it will turn out wrong (I've had to return to cat before when he turned out to have a very different personality than I expected, plus he wouldn’t stop harassing my 16 year old girl cat). If you adopted from a shelter or rescue, how did you know they were the right cat?

·
Registered
446 Posts
I knew because the kitten chose me. He made it extremely clear to me that I had to take him out of there NOW. 😄

If you are unsure about the temperament of an adult cat, you could visit the cat several times before making your decision.

Or, adopt a kitten. In my experience, it is very rare for a kitten not to turn out well. It's true that they all have their personalities, just like people, and you don't get to be certain what that will be exactly. But if you bring home a kitten and then are never, ever anything but kind to him or her, be affectionate but put the kitten down the instant they want to get down, and play appropriately with them and give them love, I think 98% of the time they will grow into a very nice cat.

the one thing I would caution you about: Do not have your mind set on having an exact personality. Even if that's what you would prefer, let the cat be who they are and appreciate what that is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For me it is very easy: I've owned three cats from the ages of 14-57 (obviously my ages). All three were shelter cats and all three picked me. My first was solid black, her I named her Chrissy. When I walked by her cage, she reached out and swatted me. I liked her sassy attitude. My second was a grey tabby and her name was Cassie. Same exact thing. I walked by her cage and she swatted me too. My cat now? The first male cat I've owned, and I named him Casey (see the naming). His name was originally "chirp," which I did like, however, I digress. He picked me too. All the cats were pretty quiet, except him. These new cages are plexiglass doors, so no swatting. I walked up to the cage and he jumped at the door. I got him immediately. Walked out the door 15 minutes later. I've had him for a month and he is just the greatest thing. Goes on walks, jumps in the water, isn't afraid of the car, nothing. It actually scares me sometimes he is no afraid of anything.

You just have to look at the cat and go for it. It is like falling in love: You know it, when you see it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi Fluff. How I met my cats...

I saw Kate on Petfinder. She just looked so sweet and a bit sad so I wanted to meet her. Her foster-dad brought her over and I fell in love in a matter of minutes. Alas, Kate did NOT feel the same way. After the initial purr and a pet, as soon as her foster-dad left, she hid in the bedroom for 2 weeks. 2 months later, we became friends. 1 year later, we adored each other!

I saw my Coco online as well. She had the cutest expression on her face and her profile said she was lots of fun. They were so right! She came over for a meet&greet and decided she was staying. We agreed! She passed away last April, but she was, and still is, the love of our lives.

Back on-line, Mr Mittens looked quite handsome in his tuxedo, and his profile said he got along great with other cats. Apparently, he hadn't met mine yet. Returned to foster-family after 2 months of hello.

I met Sophie at a Cat Cafe. Yes, a Cat Cafe. She was hanging out in a room full of other cats with people coming in and out throughout the day. She was scared and hiding behind a bookcase, so we played together with a ribbon between shelves. Adopted her before I left, got her the next day. Behavior issues galore... spent a lot of time on Google!

So you see? We never know what we're getting into, all we can do is try. For me, 6 years later, as weird as my cats can be, I wouldn't trade them for the world!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Fluffyone,

I actually have 2 cats that I’m trying to find a great home for, one male, one female. They are both 13, love to lay around and are great lap cats.

Since they are older they do not require a lot of work. I’ve tried multiple toys and they mostly like balled up paper or a random hair pin found on the ground.

They prefer to lounge on the couch or a blanket in the sun but do like to be to next to/on me.

If this fits the description of what you are looking for I would love to connect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts