Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, some of you might have already heard how I got my sweet Coopie, and that he was a stray and so we fed him and he slept outside in a doll basket we had with towels in it, and we put up found posters. After a few weeks nobody called and so we kept him and I'm very glad. Now he just stays inside the house all the time because he doesn't have frong claws. (The other owners who had him declawed him and had him neutered). Well, wahat about your cat? :D

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Franny was from a newspaper ad that actually stated that they'd be put to sleep if they couldn't find home for "them". I had no intention of getting a cat, but have a habit of reading through the pets section of the newspapers...needless to say, I found myself driving an hour and a half into the suburbs to go pick up some kitties.

When I got to the woman's house Franny was the only one left, so I took her. Naughty little girl was hanging from the top of the nasty ole' lady's screen door the first time I layed eyes on her. I had intended to take them all, but as long as they found homes of their own I was happy.

Addison and her whole family was being fostered by a guy who helps at a local animal rescue. I picked her out amongst all her brothers and sisters (6 in all) and it was tough. They were all so cute.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, I can't belive she was going to put them to sleep! Poor things! :cry:

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Another story about another Addison :)

I went to the Humane Society to look at some puppies that a friend of a friend saw a few days before. He got a yellow lab from the woman in the parking lot before she turned them in. They had chocolate labs, which I'm a sucker for, so I just went to "oooh and ahhh" over for a little while. By the time I got there, they were all gone :( I played with some other puppies for a little while, then went into the cat room.

Now, I'm in no way a cat person. Loved dogs my whole life, never really "got" cats. I noticed this cute grey kitty with a messed up ear. He came over when I approached the cage and I started petting him. He didn't like being held, but as soon as he jumped back to his cage he'd turn around and want some more petting. He was the sweetest thing!

I've never owned a cat, nor did I ask my mom (I KNEW she'd flip out if I even asked) but the next day I went to Petsmart and picked up all the stuff I'd need, went back to the Humane Society and adopted him. The girl said she needed parental permission, but believed me when I told her it was ok. I felt horrible about sneaking around, but there was something about him.

My mom flipped out when I told her over the phone, and I was positive she would have thrown him out while I was at work. Well, she didn't but I also had to not mention him or else she'd flip out again. Slowly, she started coming in my room and petting him here and there. She loves him now :D He really is perfect. So cuddly and sweet and I've never had a problem with the litter box, or biting or anything. He's still afraid of everything (mostly the dog) but he comes out much more than he ever used to. He's so great!!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Well, since we have pure bred cats it was tricky to find them... well it took a while to find a breeder that was planning a litter. But we did eventually and the breeder is great!!

Sam and Suzy were born with 3 other siblings on a farm with lots of cats, dogs, horsed and even a rooster. They have lived a very sheltered life and are spoiled rotten (by me). :D

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Angel - Found as a stray
Oreo - Adopted from the humane society
Teddy - Found by my sister, was going to adopt out.. Kept him.
Cheyenne - My poor excuse of rescue. A rescue turned into keeping.

Spirit and Peanut - Fostering at the moment

·
Registered
722 Posts
Envy was my birthday present. I told Patrick I didn't want anything for my birthday but a cat. He was a bonified dog lover and said no way. Until he saw the Bengal breed. He fell in love with them. We finally found a breeder that had kittens available and we drove 6 hours to see them. We both fell in love with Envy and for the next two months spent our time driving around the state with her as Patrick had to work on a project in all different areas.

We adopted Chaos from a very high kill shelter. Animal Control actually. The cats there are given 3 days to be evaluated and then 3 days to become adopted or they get euthanized.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Clover was found by animal control as a 6 week old kitten by the side of a highway with a bloody nose and mouth. I adopted her when she was 8 weeks old, scared to death of people. Now she likes me and pretty much only me.

Jasper was at the same place as Clover... he followed some lady back from the park, and so she brought him up to the shelter to find a home. This was not really a shelter, but a few strays up at a vet clinic, so since they were the only two there, they put them in the same cage. They were so attached to each other that we had to get both :D

Tony and Jesse were found at age 2 or 3 months in a colony of feral cats. The lady whose property they were on just wanted them OUT - didn't really care that the poor things were taken away from their mother too early, and that their mother would probably end up euthanized (I actually don't know what happened to her). Since they were still young enough to be socialized, they were brought up to a rescue place. Another lady fostered them for a month or so, and then my family started fostering them in order to get them more used to people. Well, needless to say, they're ours now.

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Beeper - I actually prayed for when I was younger: I said I wanted a black kitten, and I got one! Just wandered over to our house one night, never left. And she's still here, 15 years later.

Scully - I posted Scully's story in the Cat Tails section, but I found her in a video store parking lot, very skinny and very pregnant.

The other 4 kitties are Scully's babies :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
All four of our cats (my Mammers, and the three my parents have back home) are cats that we took in from litters born on our farm with stray mothers. The next cat I get (I will own at least two when I get a house, lol) will either be another stray kitten from our farm or I might go to a shelter if there are no kittens around at that time.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Tyra & Tyson were a gift from my boyfriend last Christmas... I chose Tyson & he chose Tyra while we were at the Animal Control center. I fell in love with Tyson's mitten paws, while he fell in love with Tyra's unique look. So far, they're the best Xmas gift I've received in my whole life :)

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Well, as some people here know, Jimmy used to belong to an old lady who lived in another flat in our block.
She became ill and had to go into a home, so we adopted Jimmy.
It was Partner's idea, actually. He bumped into the lady's daughter and she told him she was looking for someone to take Jimmy. He immediately came upstairs and said 'Shall we have him?'. Jimmy is such a little character, and we'd seen him about the place from when he was a kitten. So Partner really wanted him, even though he claims to be more of a dog person :D

seashell

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Ashley was rescued from the animal shelter....right at the last minute 8O Literally, when we were in there looking at cats, we found out she was due to be euthanized that HOUR. 8O (The shelters out here are really bad and animals only have about 3 days to get adopted) She was VERY shy because her former owners had beat the living **** out of her.

Boy, if I ever got my hands on her old owners........GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Gaylord is actually a September 11th rescue....he was actually removed from a building near the WTC. Read his story here:

http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6931

·
Registered
821 Posts
Maleke - From a breeder.....always wanted a Siamese.

Magic - From the shelter, wanted to rescue a kitty.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
My boyfriend and I had actually wanted a cat for some time. On a trip to visit his parents one weekend, his stepmom told us that her dog's vet's office had some kittens that needed adopting. We stopped there first thing the next day and among 6 kittens we picked Skeeter. The others were either extremely playful or extremly laid back. But, Skeeter...his character was just right and he rubbed up against the cage when we got close to it. Also, the way he looked into our eyes when we looked at him...we just knew he was ours and that we had found him at last!

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
My best friend's cat had kittens right about the time we were looking for a house. We waited until we bought a house to get a cat because it is is near impossible around here to find a decent appt to rent that allows cats. My husband kind of had his heart set on a black female kitten. That litter had a black female kitten. It was meant to be. 8)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts