Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine wasn't lucky :(
I set the trap when the person friendly with the cat didn't show up. The cat was around someplace but didn't come either..and time was up at 5 pm.
All other cats and kittens were there except that one I expected to catch..kittens are too young, 1 female's underweight, another had kittens some days ago and the third F, the matriarch, is a candidate to get spayed.
Highlights; I found out where some of them sleep_ one of the kittens ate tuna from my big toe_actually I didn't put it on my big toe, it fell from my finger, the tuna was leftover bait.
So that's how my trapping day went..I'm sure I've hope yet :?:

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
This weekend it was the third time we took 5 kitties in at Catnip in order to be spayed and neutered. The sessions are held on Sundays (it was on the 12th this time). We are supposed to catch them by Saturday night since they aren't allowed to eat the night before the surgery.
This was the first time I hadn't fed them since Friday since last time it was very difficult to come up with 5 kitties. I keep in mind that sometimes pregnant, nursing females or kittens fall in and I have to release them. The problem is that they learn and when they are *free* of duties and can be done they won't go in the traps anymore. SO having had the hard time last time I decided not to feed them starting Friday so they would be extremely hungry Saturday.
I caught the first kitty around 2 pm on Sat - it was a white female (I call her Sugar) flame point with adorable crossed eyes like Annissa's Sabby . She is Frosty's littermate that stayed in the wild - I didn't even know Frosty had at least 2 more litter mates - besides Little Mo that passed last year. Then I have caught two nice sized adolescent kitties - old enough to be altered - littermates (Ross - red tabby and Tara - pretty tortie) - went both in the same cage!!!
Then Jasper the grey torbie went in...that led up to four. The fifth was Zoe which is extremely calm and pettable so I let her out until about 9 o'clock and then placed her in the cage. Her kittens are 8 weeks old and already weened she is now outside next to them. It all turned out very good - although I was extremely stressed the whole weekend .
I couldn't sleep all night Friday out of guilt of not having fed them - they weren't in bad shape at all - they are very resilient - I was pleasantly surprised!
Any luck for you yet, Rosalie?

ps - I have seen your/the post in my favourite section but didn't have all the strength to post all the information I wanted - I am back now however and cannot wait to resume "conversations"

Our next apointment will be on October 2nd - hopefully it will stay that way!!!5 more kitties - that will lead us to 21 altered *yay*again :D

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So that's 5 now and you'll have 21 altered kitties soon! That's wonderful, congratulations Ioanna..yes, it's so stressing. But I know the kitties have it worse if left alone.
I hadn't done any trapping yet really. Though Paula's at the vet now, she'll have surgery tomorrow. It was so easy, my husband picked her up and put her in a carrier. I didn't think she'd be that tame 8O..once she was inside something, other than mild yowling she fussed less than Madam.
She'll be tested and vaccinated; I hope she'll pull through, thinking all that she'll undergo, don't know if she's pregnant either and might be FIV+ so..well, I'll know more tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
You are absolutely right Rosalie - what would they do left alone - I cannot even bear the thought ..I got so attached to them. I have names for almost all of them. It is difficult to tell the red ones appart because there are so many of them. I have noticed also a lot of torties due to the combination black-red.
You and Paula will be in my thoughts - I hope she will have an "easy ride". Best of luck with more trapping.
How many kitties are there in your colony?
I cannot ever know for certain about ours but I assume it is somewhere around 50 ..pretty overwhelming to imagine and to feed..but we are managing pretty well - thank goodness!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Trapping and keeping two feral kittens

Ioana, I have been reading your posts and how successful you are with your trapping. I am new at this and I am sure that I have alot to learn. I have been feeding the feral cats/kittens in my neighborhood for about two years now but never tried trapping any of them . There are seven of them and we have names for all of them and we watch at our back door every night for each one to show up. I have only put the trap out for three days now but so far the kittens go up to the door and look in and I"m sure they smell the tuna inside but so far they make no effort to go in. I know it's early yet and I know it takes alot of time and patience but I am so anxious to get them. Any tips or advice for me? I have to still put some food out because of the other cats .(I don't want them to go hungary not even for one night.) I will keep on trying but I will take any advice that will maybe speed things up. Their about four months old now and the cold weather is coming. Thanks! :D

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I am more than happy to be helpful, Cameocat
The trapping goes so much better when the cats are hungrier than usual. Skipping a meal or two won't do much harm. It mustn't be prolonged for more than a day however. And the other important thing to remember is to cover the cage with a sheet or towel in order to make it look like a tunnel. It will give them the illusion of a tunnel - therefore something with an entrance and an exit as well.
I switch foods also in order to keep it interesting for them. I am surprised your babies haven't got in yet. They are not adults and they should be less wary and hungrier. Keep on trying putting emphasis on the two things I have mentioned : them being hungry and the 'tunnel'.
If you still don't have any luck ..or feel that you won't in the near future do the following. Feed the kitties in separate groups where one group cannot see where the other (group) is eating. For example - set a 3 bowls for 3 kitties in one spot, 2 more for other 2 kitties in another spot. This will prevent some from going in the cage/s that you can place in the spot where the kitties you want are eating.
I hope it is going to work out - I am keeping my fingers crossed for you and I am awaiting the good news!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paula came out all right! And she doesn't have FIV :D :D :D was vaccinated and ear notched..she spent three days recovering at the clinic, maybe unnecesary extra time but it's OK with me; it was funny when we put her back there were Clovis and Demi, 2 of her kittens. They ran over to her, I thought oh-oh here comes push and shove but they were sniffing her all over, you sure smell funny-yucky mama :wink:

PS She streched a couple of times, shaking her legs. I wondered if that was because of being horizontal (if you will) most of the time, changing environs or maybe her tummy felt tight or something with the suture? Have you noticed that in other females when they leave their cage after surgery?

..now if I can talk my husband into letting me keep her..but I think it'd take a long time for her to get used to living in a house with another cat & people and I don't have room to keep them separated right now..it just seems a pity since she's OK and a nice cat too..we'll see

·
Registered
62 Posts
Trapping two feral kittens

Ioana, Thank you so much for your advice. I did put a cover over the cage but it did not cover the whole thing.(I got the biggest one that they had because I thought they would go in that kind better.) And now that I think of it most of the back part was not covered and I have little white lights out back by their dishes and it pretty much shined on the back of the cage. I will make sure that the cover is more to the back where the dishes are. I will be honest with you I still hate to not put any food out for any of them. You can tell that I am new at this, huh? I know that sounds logical (not to put other food out) but I will worry about the other cats being hungry. I sure hope I can share some good news with you soon! Thanks again for your help and feel free to let me know if you think of anything else. I will not give up no matter what. Thanks for caring.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Rosalie I am so happy that you have managed to trap Paula. Out of all the females we have altered Tippy was the only one I could investigate the suture off. It did seem a little hard but it faded in time. She recovered completely and very well ...like all of the other kitties. The most wild ones have the tendency to disappear for a few days after having been released. They do return however and are more calm, less likely to fight and get friendly sooner, it seems.

Tippy is also inside with us ever since the surgery ..I was thinking I might find her a home but I don't know - if you know what I mean :wink:

I hope it will work out between you and your husband so Paula can stay with you :D

Cameocat - you are more than welcome and I hope you will be lucky soon and trap the little rascals.

The first two times we trapped kitties (5 each time) I just didn't feed any of them on the day of the trapping, previous to the surgery. However having become more difficult with the second trapping we decided not to feed them a day in advance this last (third) time. I know how you feel like - I couldn't sleep the whole Friday night out of guilt. I wouldn't even go outside because I saw the glimpse of them waiting for me. They gave up in the end but I still felt terrible. When I went out and about on Saturday morning to start setting the traps and then back and forth checking on them I saw most of the cats either playing or laying in the sun ..waiting for the sun to set once again(that is when they gather since I feed them at that time). I have learned that they are quiete the little toughies and it actually helped my trapping tremendously not feeding them. I hope this will help you too, Cameocat. Just like me - you have to understand that it is only for a little while that you won't be feeding them and it will help out in your trapping them.
Lucky trapping and we'll see how the babies do from there with re-adjustment to the indoor world and all that comes with that. 8)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Trapping feral kittens

Ioana, I understand just what you are saying about not feeding them. I hear the same thing from my husband and son every night when I put the cage (and extra food ) out. What is it with me that I can't get that through my head? I tell myself that I" m going do it like that and then when the time comes I chicken out. Then in the morning I fell bad ( and guilty ) that I didn't get them. Well , I wll try it like this for a few days and see what happens. I know if it means the only way to get them I am going to have to do that whether I like it or not. What about the four adult cats that I feed? Where will they get food? Will they be alright? Thanks again for your help and patience. I hope I will have good news to tell you soon! :D

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Don't worry, Cameocat - I know how it feels. Do just as you have planned - try it this way for a couple more times. And then you may try a different approach if it won't work. I will keep my fingers crossed for you :D

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ioanna; I didn't to reply to your post..didn't get to check Paula's tummy yet though she's the friendlest of all cats, she looks fine overall..a bit funny with a shaved tummy, neck and notched ear..her Cleopatra look (Egyptian cat..reminds me of that) isn't the same but it's better for her this way as we all know..
Like cameocat I want to thank-you for your guidance and support, I appreciatte it so much :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm trying hard to catch two adult barn cats, so this thread is so timely - I missed the beginning unfortunately. these are cats I've had since they were born, seven years old; when they were six months old I trapped and had them spayed and that was the end of our friendship from their point of view. But now we've sold the farm for development and I can't abandon them and I haven't been able to trap them. I've had them hungry for the weekend with tuna in a trap, no way. The vet gave me Ace to dope their cat food; got them pretty stoned but still able to bolt.
So.. times running out. I'll cover the cages with towels and re-bait them - that sounds helpful. Any other suggestions? Something more irresistable than tuna or salmon? - we're moving in two weeks! Thanks
Oren

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Something more smelly than tuna or salmon could be mackerel or sardines..but I think that the bait isn't what they are wary of but they have learnt the trapping business and no matter what they are trying to stay out of it..it's a tough situation Oren, I hope that somebody here could have advice on how to go about it, I'm just starting trapping so don't know, only guesses..
Best of luck, you are so caring not to leave them behind, wish all barn cats had such an ally :D ..where are you at? I wondered if there's a rescue group that can help you, ask your vet.

·
Registered
62 Posts

ioana, Just wanted to let you know that I caught something in my cage but not exactly what I wanted. A skunk! When I looked out to check the cage the door was already closed and (my) two kttens were in the front of the door of the cage (probably laughing to themselves). They were probably thinking ha! ha! look at him! Well I'm hoping maybe thats a sign that next time I will get what I am waiting for. By the way we called someone and had the skunk safely removed and unharmed. After all he didn't do anything wrong except go in the cage. I hope to have good news to post very soon! :D

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cameocat; skunks and other wildlife are likely to get in the trap, that's a concern of trappers :(
I've heard that to deter skunks is better to set the trap on a high place like a picnic table. Though I don't know how that would work for the kittens, do they climb places? And if posible not leave the trap unattended so that you can shoo off anybody going in..I know of a lady that wanted a specific cat to go in the trap so she sat on the back of her truck with a spritzer (or seltzer?) bottle and sprayed any 'unwanted' cat..but don't know how practical that is..anyways, any ideas everyone??

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Wow - I am happy to hear you noticed the skunk and had helped releasing him. When I went with Andrew last Sunday to alter the kitties I have talked to a few ladies that were present and told their stories of how they also trapped skunks at times. They were telling that the skunks are actually thinking of undoing the traps themselves while in it - with their long clawsies :mrgreen: . It can be dangerous regardless of what animal we trap so extra caution is always necessary.

As for not catching the wrong kind of cat - I usually go far away and keep an eye on the traps. Of course, they are all in opposite directions - as I feed the kitties in different groups so I take one to spy at a time. If I see *somebody else* trying to enter the cage I go *boldly* towards it pretending I have some more food to put in the bowls. That makes them run, change their minds.

Also a very important thing - I usually call them, talk to them at supper time " Kitty, kitties, come on mommie's babies..and call their names when I see them i.e.:Oh Hi, Elisabeth, Haraldine, Arthur, Jasper, Tina, Pepper, Megan..etc". Why I think this is important - sometimes although hungry they give up even smelling the cages - they sense there is something strange going. My picking the container I usually carry their food in and calling of their names - pretending I drop food (I eventually add some more canned to what is in the cages makes them think it is the usual supper time and encourages them to approach the traps with more courage.

This all I can think of for now that adds to what has been said.
Except for one think - I also thank you back - Cameocat and Rosalie because I learn from your experiences as well and I am happy you are here in the forum.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just came accross to what's used as bait to trap skunks, so best avoided if you don't want one one in the trap;
Fish flavored cat food_sardines_ eggs_peanut butter

Though they might go after things too or investigate though :(

·
Registered
62 Posts

Rosalie, Thanks for the tips (about the skunks). I have been putting tuna fish in the cage so that's probably what attracted him. I try to keep a pretty good eye on the cage because I do feed other ferals also. But in order to make sure the wrong animal does not go in I would have to spend the night in my back porch( although I am almost doing that already ). I really do not have a place where I can put the cage so that it is higher up and off the ground. Thanks for your help . I know I can use all I can get! :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts