Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the news last night they showed the Obamas visiting the Queen, and I thought it was interesting that they didn't bow or curtsey. To tell you the truth, I was glad to see that. Americans love the British and we of course want to respect her, but she's not our Queen to curtsey to. There was apparently also a controversy about the fact that Michelle Obama touched the Queen on the back when no one is supposed to touch the Queen ever, unless it's a limp handshake.

How do the British members feel about that?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Well I don't really think it was interesting that they didn't bow or curtsey as non-Britains are not expected to :)

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that true? I thought I remembered a bunch of Americans curtsying, like when they're in a receiving line or something.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Yeah, it's supposed to be a sign of respect for your country, which only applies to us Brits of course, they certainly didn't break any 'protocol' by not doing it :)

I love the Obamas..I think Michelle seems really warm and natural and he is just charming.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yeh it made me grin when saw them on the telly last night - sign of new beginnings etc.

Wouldn't say I'm the most pro-royal person there is (although I'm not really anti-royal either!) so I wouldn't be offended with someone not curtesying to the Queen. So long as people are courteous and friendly I think that they should get the respect they deserve.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The curtseying/no manhandling thing seems to be drifting out of fashion, I doubt the Queen really cares too much. Here Obama's gift of some DVDs to Brown when he had been given some rather special gifts was seen as a gaffe, which I would tend to agree with.

Similarly giving the Queen an iPod seems a bit strange, though she is fairly tech-savvy, using digital cameras (Leica M8 I believe...) and a PC. Prince Philip also uses the Net - and drives a black cab incognito in London to avoid the congestion charge.

There is a rumour that Obama is not keen on the UK owing to its colonial past with reference to Kenya, and apparently he couldn't get the loaned bust of Churchill out of the Oval Office quickly enough, but who knows.

I do like him and have read his books, but he seems reluctant or more likely unable to change the status quo/establishment in certain areas - e.g. the absurd UK-US extradition scenario where a UK citizen can be extradited over there with barely any evidence (e.g. the guy here with Asperger's Syndrome being sought for allegedly hacking into the Pentagon), while for the reverse to happen would need **** to freeze over. I blame our guys for allowing that more than the US.

But then again the US wants everyone to sign up to the International War Crimes Tribunal in The Hague - but refuses to sign up to it itself, which is very hypocritical.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I am not really into the whole politics thing, I should be I guess but politics just don't interest me. What's more important to me are the people and I sooo prefer this u.s. president to the last one...there was just something about Bush that made me not trust him...same for Blair...and I don't like Brown either, but I'm not sure if the alternative would be much better ;)

·
Banned
5,531 Posts
Hmmm ... I just found myself annoyed at the fact that out of the 19 international leaders that have come to London to attend the G20 summit, only Obamas arrival was seen by the BBC as headline news.

America might be the most powerful country in the world, but its not the only one :roll: (and before I get accused of being anti-American, I'm actually just being annoyed at the BBC for forever falling over itself to grovel at the feet of Obama).

As for curtseying to the Queen .. as a anti-royalist, I certainly wouldnt want to do that either. Of course I'd treat her with respect as I would anyone else but she is not, in my view, my 'superior' to bow down too. I do respect her greatly though. She has done a lot for my country ... I just dont think she should have such a priveliged position due to an accident of birth (sigh, whats happening to my spelling today),

I have to say though, I smiled at the thought of a 80-something year old lady being given a ipod :lol:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
She was also apparently given a songbook, autographed by Richard Rodgers. A very American - and very charming! - sort of gift. :) Nice work, Obama! (Or, more likely, nice work, his staff!) :lol:

·
Premium Member
28,617 Posts
When in Rome, do as the Romans do. :) I am an Obama fan. However, it would have been courteous if both he and Mrs. Obama had shown Queen Elizabeth that respect. We have few traditions left. Let's observe them.

With all due respect, Allie, I don't think it is unusual at all for our best friends to consider our President's visit news. We certainly consider it news when a member of the royal family visits here. When you consider history, which of the WWl and WWll allies are still as faithful to one another as they were then?

I guess this is our day to disagree, Allie. :) People don't lose their love of music as they get older. As a musician, I have seen how deeply touched people of all ages are touched by music, often brought to tears.

·
Banned
5,531 Posts
Jeanie said:
When in Rome, do as the Romans do. :) I am an Obama fan. However, it would have been courteous if both he and Mrs. Obama had shown Queen Elizabeth that respect. We have few traditions left. Let's observe them.

With all due respect, Allie, I don't think it is unusual at all for our best friends to consider our President's visit news. We certainly consider it news when a member of the royal family visits here. When you consider history, which of the WWl and WWll allies are still as faithful to one another as they were then?

I guess this is our day to disagree, Allie. :) People don't lose their love of music as they get older. As a musician, I have seen how deeply touched people of all ages are touched by music, often brought to tears.
I'm not saying the ipod present was 'inappropriate' Jeanie .. it just made me smile to think of the Queen bopping along with one stuck in her ears. :lol:

As for Obamas visit ... yes, we are 'best friends' .. .but what does fawning over one leader and ignoring the arrival of others (the French and the German leader spring immediately to mind) .. say about Britains relationship with the most powerful countries in the EU? It just worries me slightly ... in the long term it is the French and the Germans that will influence our lives more than the Americans ever will.

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
I read that the ipod was loaded with videos, pictures from her last visit to the states, which I think is nice.

Barack Obama met the Queen at Buckingham Palace today and gave her a gift of an iPod loaded with video footage and photographs of her 2007 United States visit to Richmond, Jamestown and Williamsburg in Virginia.
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/toby_harnd ... ur_majesty

I also thought that Mrs. Obama putting her hand on the Queen's back was an unconcious gesture that she does to many people when she greets them. I bet in her mind she realized what she did after she did it. The nicest thing was that the Queen did it back to her, probably to make her feel better.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Jeanie said:
If it makes you feel any better, even the Royal Family's website says a handshake is a perfectly appropriate way to greet the queen (with no distinction made between UK citizens and non-citizens):

http://www.royal.gov.uk/HMTheQueen/GreetingtheQueen/Overview.aspx

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Allie, I know this will shock you, so take a seat if you're not sitting down already:

Ready?

I Agree with you!

Watching the news tonight and you'd be forgiven for thinking it was G2, not G20.

Where was the meeting between the queen and the other leaders? Although this is Obama's 1st official visit as Pres, he's not the only one. America is seen as the "ooh big wow important" country, when in fact it's no more important (from a human perspective) than Liechtenstein.

I thought the idea of Liz Windsor being given an ipod as a present was hilarious. I mean I just imagined her in one of those original ipod adverts with the silhouette :D

So what if Mrs Obama patted the queen? She's not made of asbestos.

·
Premium Member
28,617 Posts
She's a lady, and I respect her greatly.

Allie said:
in the long term it is the French and the Germans that will influence our lives more than the Americans ever will.
Time will tell, but I wouldn't put money on it. History tells a different story. And so does the present.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I feel sorry for a woman who no one's supposed to touch! This woman must be starving for a good old-fashioned bear hug! :lol: Did you read that Michelle touched her first, or vice versa? One thing I just read implied the Queen put her arm around her first, and Michelle was just reciprocating.

I guess the Obamas have more star power than the other leaders, so they're getting all the airtime on the news. That's certainly true here too. The man is giving us a huge, well-deserved sigh of relief and we can't really get enough of him. He was even on a late-night talk show recently. Talk about charm and charisma . . . he's got enough for 10 people.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Ironically the last person to seriously breach their silly rules was a large American woman who gave the queen a bear hug :lol:

·
Banned
5,531 Posts
Jeanie said:
Time will tell, but I wouldn't put money on it. History tells a different story. And so does the present.
The past maybe, but the present no. Germany and France are the biggest players in the EU and therefore they have a great deal more direct influence over the UK than the USA.

And 'star quality' is no excuse for ignoring other world leaders. Of course, Obama is a man of great influence and a man that everyone should take notice off, but for the BBC to pretty much ignore every other world leader (other than Gorden Brown of course) is a bit much ...

In other news ... thought Mrs Obama and the Queen hugging was pretty neat.

Does anyone know what the outcome of the summit was?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The Daily Show did a bit on this last night that I found very funny.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=222786&title=the-poisonous-queen

However -- not surprisingly -- it's not at all respectful. :) So if failure to show proper respect to the Queen of England will offend you... I'd skip it. I think it did a good job of pointing up the silliness of being worked up over something so small, though. It's not like something bad is likely to happen because Michelle Obama touched her, after all... John Oliver notwithstanding.

(I'm amused that the talking heads seem to have gotten it wrong: the Queen's own website says shaking hands with her is perfectly acceptable.)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts