Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got Zoey from the Humane Society about 4 months ago. This morning we woke up and found a clear gel-like vomit on the floor and there was a roundworm about 2.5 inches long in it. What could have caused her to get worms?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I just went through the SAME thing. The worm I found was about 2 inches or so. I took Zoë in (and the worm!) and the vet called it a flip worm. She said that it is a parasite and that we could have brought it in from the outside on our shoes. Since our kitties are inside only, other than eating a rodent, that's the only way she could have caught it. I asked about bugs to make sure and the vet said no, only rodents. We certainly do not have rodents in our home so I guess it was from our shoes. Both of mine are now on medicine.
You should take her to the vet to make sure and to get medicine. Good luck!

·
Registered
465 Posts
That's interesting; I never knew how cats got worms or what they were really. How do you "deworm" a cat exactly?

·
Registered
209 Posts
3 ml of a white liquidy chalkish medicine for 3 days...repeat in 3 weeks. That's what I'm doing. It's probably different for different kinds of worms though.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
some medication only treats certain types of worms.
I beleive the most commen worms are tape worm and round worm. I use panacur tablet which treats both types. But wormers come in many different forms, tablets that you fight to feed, tablets which are huge but my cats loved them and sniffed the packets looking for more, power, syrup, various liquids. There is alsorts, if you havent dewormed your cat before it is worth having her done, and since you are unsure of it if you ask a vet about it they can advise you best.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Panacur (fenbendazole) does not kill all tapeworms, though it does get the most common type (Dipylidium). It does not kill Taenia or Echinococcus.

However, it does kill about 70% of Giardia infections, which is very tough to get otherwise. It isn't approved for cats but I've used it for years with very good safety.

The liquid you got is probably pyrantel pamoate, which kills roundworms. There is a combination of that plus a tapeworm medicine (Droncit) called Drontal. It's a small pill, easy to give. For kittens over 6 months, this is the one I would choose.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got her dewormer today. The vet told us to come back in 2 weeks for another dose to make sure. She keeps meowing at us though.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
catobsessed4 said:
That's interesting; I never knew how cats got worms or what they were really. How do you "deworm" a cat exactly?
As far as I know any animal can get worms in one form or another.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts