Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
Hamsters- yes, but not in a good way!

I dont let my cats near my guinea pigs when they are out of thier run because i dont trust them to. A cat can quickly kill a small guinea pig.
One of my cats vienna loves one of my rabbits, wesley. When he was a house rabbit she would chase him around the room, and he would her in return. Now hes outside with my other 2 rabbits everytime she goes outside she goes over to see him, and he comes to the ehdge of the run to see her.

·
Registered
68 Posts
All the interactions would be bad except for the dog. I'm sorry to say this but all those small animals may be prey to a cat. I'm not sure if you could train them to get along. My cat gets along fine with my two dogs. She likes playing with their wagging tails. Yet, that does not mean that all cats and dogs will get along. You would have to have a dog on the leash and see how it reacts to a cat. That's what I had to do.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I wouldnt recomend any other animals around cats, except a dog. My cats have killed my fish that I had for years and my hamster. see post disaster with the hamster in the lounge

·
Registered
492 Posts
Well, we've had guinea pigs and a rabbit with the cats without any problems, but the rodents were always kept in the cage. One cat in particular liked to reach in and pat them. He never extended his claws, but I still wouldn't trust them loose together.

I don't have problems with the fish. Thr cats really love to watch them, but I make sure the fish are covered up, and it works out all right.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Zalensia said:
One of my cats vienna loves one of my rabbits, wesley. When he was a house rabbit she would chase him around the room, and he would her in return. Now hes outside with my other 2 rabbits everytime she goes outside she goes over to see him, and he comes to the ehdge of the run to see her.
That is sweet. I never knew rabbits are intelligent enough to play tag with a cat.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
TIP: Ferrets and cats get along great. To be honest, the ferret may actually hurt your cat.

Also, cats and dogs can get along, but some dogs should be kept away - such as herding and hunting dogs.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
jacky my other 2 rabbits dont, they dont care for the cats, just wesley.

really if a cat is trained it wont hurt an animal. My boyfriend use to breed budgies and pebbles could sit in the avory with him and she wouldnt touch the birds. On that note tho he wouldnt leave her alone with them.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I wouldn't recommend cats around any rodents, even if they "seem" ok, all to often out of the blue they will attack and kill your other small pets, it has happened many times to overly trusting owners who claimed their cat "doesn't care about their rodents".

Cats and ferrets, can get along well SOMETIMES. Not every cat and ferret should be trusted together. However my group of cats and my ferret (and past ferrets) have played wonderfully together, supervized.

Dogs well, we all know the answer to that, some will get along and some wont :) I always think it's a good idea to have a place where cats can safely escape to, where a dog can't follow incase they feel threatened.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As well as a cat we also have chinchillas. Oliver our cat once got a little too close to the chinchilla cage and was sprayed in the face with urine. Female chinchillas do this when they are frightened. Now he totally ignores them but he is not allowed in the room when they are having their run.

My first cat, he would have been 52 in April, made friends with the Cocker Spaniel across the road. They often used to sit together in the Sun. I presumed that the dog just liked cats. So did another cat and decided to wander through the dogs' garden. We were both wrong the dog soon chased the cat off.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
ahh yes, once a chinny decides to spray pee over you when you go to pick them up or are near them its a sign to back off, thats the "get lost of next time its my teeth" message hehe.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My Cats and Ferrets get along well. They enjoy playing together and it's not a concern at all. The ferrets can get a little over-excited but the cats deal with it just fine. They never hurt each other, they let one another know exactly how much they will take from one another.

My Mom has a houseful of cats and a small dog that all stay indoors, they fight sometimes, but nothing major. The dog doesn't care for the cats at all, but only barks and snaps at them if they come too close. Besides, even full grown, some of the cats are much bigger than the dog. LoL!

It all depends on the animals, some will get along, some will not. Just like people really..... :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts