Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gabby is a grazer and eats just a tablespoon or so at a time and will go back for more half hour or so later. How long is it safe to let wet food sit out?

I was wondering how she would do with a wet food diet vs her old dry food. She won't touch the dry stuff if there has been wet food around lately. So that problem is solved!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I will allow my cats to eat their moist food for about 3 or 4 hours with my house usually around 70ish degrees. During the winter, I might let them eat off of it for a little longer, but my cats never touch the food after its been sitting out for too long anyways. How old is Gabby? If she is a little kitten (like 6 months or less) it might be hard to convert her to meal times, but otherwise it shouldn't be too bad. Could you try giving her 2 or 3 set meals during a long weekend, and then keep an eye on how often/how much she eats? I assume you have to go to work during the day since you are worried about meals, so maybe you could feed Gabby 3 meals a day (in the morning right before you leave, as soon as you get home, and a last meal right before you go to bed?) Eventually she will catch on that she better eat when she's served!

·
Super Moderator
26,808 Posts
Wet food is safe to leave out for hours. I put the food down and go to work.

On the weekends, I do pick the food up if they don't eat it quickly enough, because when I let Gigi in their half of the house, she'll eat their food and she's not allowed to have it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
once again, catforum.com to the rescue! You peeps are great!

I feel better now about leaving the food out for several hours. Gabby is starting to eat more and I want to get her on a schedule instead of a free feed sort of thing.

I'm not working right now, but hopefully soon. But when I do start working I'll be working from the comfort of my own home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts