Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

i came across this site and have decided that my cat might benefit from eating wet food. he is ADDICTED to dry food. worst is that he cannot have any chicken, he has been suffering for months with itchy skin, horrible scabs and bald spots. we finally tried to see if it was the chicken based food that he was allergic to so the vet recommened IVD duck and peas formula.

so far he'll eat the dry, but wet food NO WAY! its hard to find non chicken wet food at the pet stores....i was thinking of maybe ordering online (so expensive though!). i was lucky to find a can of solid gold tuna at a petco. he licked it a bit and ate some of it, but the second time i gave it to him he ignored it.

how do i do this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Our cats were addicted to dry food as well. Patience and persistence are key. They do need to be hungry in order to eat it though - so reduce the dry food rations and feed meals more than once per day.

The chicken thing is difficult - most canned cat food will have some chicken or chicken liver in it (even if it's not the main flavour).

If you can find them, try these..

Wysong Beef, Duck, Rabbit, Turkey or Venison Au Jus
Lick Your Chops Lamb and Brown Rice
Tripett Green Tripe with Krill
Nature's Variety Prairie Lamb, Rabbit or Duck
Evolve Seafood or Turkey
California Natural Venison or Deepwater Fish and Rice
Timberwolf Organics Kettle Cooked Venison & Herbs or Omega Fish

Good luck!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi valacat, Are you sure it's the chicken? My 3 yr. male was addicted to dry also. It took 2 weeks to get him on an all canned diet. He always had dandruff on the dry, but his coat is awesome on the canned food. IMHO, it sounds like he may be allergic to the grain ingredients in the dry moreso than chicken meat. I'm not familiar with IVD, and I'm still wet behind the ears on health for felines, but I've learned alot since my cat had urinary tract problems about food ingredients. No more dry food for my cat. Wellness canned is all he's getting. Good luck!

Aaron

·
Registered
13 Posts
The prescription Innovative Veterinary Diets, or IVD foods, contain a single primary protein source and a single primary carbohydrate source making these diets very helpful in controlling and eliminating adverse responses to certain food products.

You mentioned your cat didn't eat the canned duck and pea, but feline IVD also comes in lamb and green pea, venison and green pea, and rabbit and green pea, as well as the duck and green pea. You might want to ask you vet about trying one of these other flavors. It has been my experience, that when a kitty didn't like a particular flavor, the vet would recommend trying one of the others. Since these foods have limited ingredients, switching the protein flavor usually isn't a problem. Just make sure to check with your vet.

Duck and pea seems to be the first one the veterinarians recommend because it is usually the least expensive and very well liked by the kitties. But I have seen a number of cats turn their noses up at the duck and prefer one of the other flavors.

The IVD foods are usually guaranteed, or at least they were at my clinic. This allows you to return any unused portion for a refund, or credit towards a different flavor, but you need to hold on to the original bag. Be sure to check with your veterinarian, or call the company directly (the number is usually on the bag) to make sure.

I hope you find a flavor your kitty will like.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts