Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat Raptor is 10 years old and she can't stand other cats or my dog very well. She's
super grumpy and she's always been like this. She'll also growl at me when she's annoyed.
I would love to get a kitten but I'm not sure how I would introduce it to my cat. Of course I don't
know if I will get a kitten right now...just wondering how I would introduce one to Raptor.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I remember my parents doing this when my brother and I were little. We had two older cats - Chloe and Fred and got two kittens - Boots and Hobbes. When we brought the kittens home, Chloe was pissed and sat outside the door, hissing through the cracks. Fred, could not have cared any less. When we opened the door and let them all interact, Chloe sat under the rocking chair in my room and just glared at them. It took about 48 hours for her to move on. Fred brought a mouse in for them. It was very strange to see them all get used to eachother. Chloe never really loved them, but she learned to tolerate everyone.

So my advice, keep them seperated for a day or two, just so everyone gets used to smells. That seems to keep things cool for a while....

·
Super Moderator
26,355 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Honestly, it doesn't really sound like your resident cat would appreciate a kitten. I recently introduced my 7 year old cat-friendly, kitten-experienced cat to a new baby and even he has a rough time with her playful antics. I will give you the same advice that I was given (but did not follow): if you must get a kitten, consider two instead of one. They will keep each other company rather than harassing your grumpy grown-up cat.

Otherwise, there are quite a few articles out there on how to introduce cats. The key is taking it slowly. In your case I would confine the kitten(s) to a spare room for a good amount of time (I'm talking weeks)--let them get used to each others' smells. When they do meet for the first time you can expect some hissing and spitting--unless they begin to fight, you should let them throw their tantrums. It's important that you remain calm at all times as the cats will react to your signals. Cats tend to be more relaxed after a good meal, so try feeding them (perhaps dropping in some cat calming supplement) before they meet. You can also give kitten a bath to neutralize his odor--this has worked quite well for me and my cat. Keep their meetings short at first, giving them plenty of breaks from one another. Try to create positive associations with the smell and presence of the new kitten--you can do this by playing with them together, feeding them together, having your old kitty sleep on blankets that smell like the kitten, etc...

Importantly, never let either cat harass the other one. Set rules and boundaries. Kittens may not be able to do much harm when they're small, but if you let them get too rough with your adult cat it can become a real problem as they mature (my parents learned this lesson the hard way, and now have a very dominant adult cat).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx for all the helpful advice. Knowing my cat, she probably wouldn't
like a kitten. And If I do get one, I'll introduce them to each other carefully and slowly.
I'll let ya all know if I get one and if it works out :D Hopefully it will....
Oh! I just thought of something! Would it be better to get a male kitten or a female?
Wouldn't it be better to get a male?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Grace,

I have heard that different sexes tend to get along best, but I've no idea if there's any truth to it. I will say that, personally, I prefer boy kitties (seems like they are more laid-back).

PS: Your Raptor is a lovely cat, and I must say I love the name.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts