Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a LeBistro cat feeder that I use for my three cats. I refill the bistro with a three pound bag of cat food. Is there anyway to keep the food fresh for a longer period of time? The cats gobble up the food the first few days after the cat feeder is refilled and can't wait for the next feeding. After 5 days or so there is usually food still in the bowl when the next scheduled feeding happens. I'm assuming that the food is not as fresh at this point and the cats are not thrilled to be eating it. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Premium Member
18,382 Posts
Don't put the whole bag in at once. Keep it sealed and refill every day or two. Better yet...get them on wet food because it's so much better for them (I know you didn't ask for advice about that...but the kibble buffet will likely cause health issues down the road)

·
Registered
823 Posts
Third the switch to canned. I read this two minutes after it was originally posted and thought to myself "It would be better if you just trashed the dry stuff".

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
I give Chiquita a small amount of dry per day (2 table spoons) along with her canned food and I find that even though I squeeze all the air out of the bag and keep it seal after several weeks it get's stale anyway and she snubs it.
So I've take to buying the small 1 lb packages of Merrick BG dry.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I mix canned food with about 2 spoonfuls of wetted kibble, which I only put out at mealtimes. The kibble is in an airtight container which seems to be working well so far.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone. For now I have switched one of the two meals to a grain free wet food.

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
It will take them a few days to get used to it but you'll see a big difference in their overall health!

Grats :)

·
Registered
823 Posts
Thanks for the responses everyone. For now I have switched one of the two meals to a grain free wet food.
That's great!

I kind of felt bad for piling on about the wet food. I'm glad you were open minded about it.

Switching to wet sure made a difference for us.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts