Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat Buddy threw up last night after dinner (a wet and dry mixture) and when he did, the shape of it was what hairballs usually look like (log shaped). He stayed in his bed most of the night and this morning he wouldn't get out of his bed to eat. My husband tried to give him a little food next to his bed, but he just sniffed it. He is usually not a picky eater and in the mornings we give dry food which is his favorite. Do you think I should give him an over the counter hairball remedy today and see if that helps before I make an appointment for him to see the vet tomorrow? I'd hate to spend $150 on a vet if it's just a case of a hairball. :sad

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I would suggest you keep a close eye on him for one or two days. If he doesn't show sign of getting better, then bring him to the vet. My girls occasionally have those "down days" for no obvious reason (not even threw up hairball). Skip one meal, and offer less food for the next meal. This should give his digestion system a break. I wouldn't recommend giving him dry food now, as it is the hardest to digest. Give him canned food if he would take it, or even better, cook some chicken breast with rice (1:1 propotion) for him.

As of hairball control in the long term, you can use commercial hairball remedy, or give him cat grass, or add a teaspoon of baby food pumpkin into his food from time to time. But the best way is to brush his hair frequently.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice! I try to brush his hair, but he HATES it. He attacks the brush every time (I have tried different brushes as well). The only time he lets me is when he is very sleepy and i sneak up and use it lol. I think it has to also do with the fact that we got a new kitten and he has been grooming her a lot lately (I guess they are starting to bond).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts