Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My boyfriend and I are about too buy to beautiful bengal kittens :luv , but there is one big problem.

We have a large balcony, where we spendt a lot of our time in the summer. It is on the 4th floor, and if the kittens falls down it is a 2 floors drop :yikes . How do we train them not to go near the eath? and can it be done?

Thanks!

Sofie

·
Registered
278 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't hope for them to figure it out themselves, but rather ''kitty-proof'' the balcony to prevent the risk.

Also, harness/leash train your kitties so you have that extra leap of safety while they are enjoying the patio with you. This way, you can control where they go, and prevent any falls or jumps from the balcony.

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
The only way to prevent it is to enclose the balcony with screens (or a screened area designated for kitties). Many cats have gone off a balcony chasing a bug or bird. No matter how well you think you may have trained them, it will all go out the window in the thrill of the hunt.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Agreed. You can not train a cat to not chase prey and that's usually how they end up falling out windows or off of balconies. The only way to keep them safe is to enclose the balcony and put screens on your windows.
Depending on the balcony, it's quite easy and inexpensive to do. I did mine (wrought iron) with fine deer netting tied with outdoor electrical ties. The whole thing cost under $30. $16 for 100x7 ft of netting and the ties were around $20. You do need to check the ties every year or so to make sure they haven't cracked. If it's a wooded framed balcony just staple the netting on with a staple gun. Great thing about it, opposed to screen, is it's virtually invisible and cheaper!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, thanks everybody for your quick answer. And have one follow up question: Is it possible just not to let them out on the balcony? Or will they always tire too get out there?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Of course you could refuse them access to the balcony...BUT...if you do spend a lot of time out there and would like to allow them with you, how about keeping a nice "dog kennel/crate" out there specially for them? Carry them TO the crate and close the door. When you come in for the evening, bring them back into the house.

This is a pic of a small one.
http://www.petco.com/product/13752/Remi ... SiteSearch
Here is a google image of what ours looks like:

I have a large one, about 3'x5'x4'tall. We have a few shelves along the back of the crate so there are different levels to lounge on. We only use this crate outdoors on our back patio as a treat for kitties to enjoy the outside with us. You could easily get your two Bengals accustomed to this crate on the balcony and it would keep them safe and able to enjoy the balcony with you.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
This spring I enclosed our small deck with deer netting, and I'm so glad I did. The cats just love being out there, and I think it was a big stress reliever for Sadie.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Bengals are amazing jumpers. They can go 7 - 8 feet straight up so it will be hard to cat proof.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
You could try to keep them off the balcony but, if they are anything like my cats, sooner or later, they will get out there. I would always be nervous that they culd get out and jump. Even if you are really careful, others may not be. If it were me, I would just enclose it. That way, the cats can safely enjoy being out there and you won't have the stress of always fighting to keep them in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts