Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Your picture has to be somewhere on the web already. You cannot post a picture directly from your computer. If it's nowhere on the web you can post it to the Cat Photos section of this site.

Then put them in a post like this:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Padunk-

I am confused by your response to this. I have been meaning to post this exact question myself.

I have to have the picture somewhere on the web already. I can understand that much. However, you then say, if it is not on the web already, then post it to the cat photos section of this site. Well, if it can be posted to the cat photos section of this site, then why say it has to be on the web already?

There are also size requirements listed in one of the help stickies. But in the cat photos section of the site it says unlimited file size, and unlimited number of photos. Now that is great, but which is correct? Do I have to have them on the web elsewhere, or can I just post them here, size requirements or not?

Sorry to be such a lamo about this, but I have pics (large file sizes) of my 2 guys that I want to get on here. Just not sure about how to exactly do it, and I don't want to have to buy photochop to get them a certain size if I don't have to. Now before I get hammered about buying photochop, I remember a link about imagestation, and about it being free and all. However, I just don't trust all that free stuff.

So please help a fella out and straighten this out for me.

Thanks.

Bryon

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Maybe I can help here...

Your picture doesn't have to be on the web already, since we've been provided a space for pictures here on cat forum, but it does have to be somewhere on the web in order to post it here on cat forum. Many people already have sites (personal or otherwise) where they have libraries of images at their disposal. So when Padunk says, "Your picture has to be somewhere on the web already. You cannot post a picture directly from your computer. If it's nowhere on the web you can post it to the Cat Photos section of this site," what he means is "if it's on the web, here's how you do it. If it's not on the web, here's a space where you can put it," while also explaining that you can't link a picture from your C: drive (and I'm sure we've all seen people do that at one time or another).

As for image sizes, the only section that I know of that has image size limits is the avatar. As I see it, it's just polite to optimize all other images to as small as possible to make it quicker to download and save space where our images are being stored. I don't know how you would do that if you do not have photo manipulation capabilities already. Maybe someone on this forum would be willing to help you.

I hope I've helped and I also hope I haven't stepped on Padunk's toes. My apologies if I've messed up.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Annissa-

Thanks, that clears it up somewhat. However I am still a little fuzzy on one or two things. Please bear with a complete noob at posting pics on the web.

Here are my questions:

If I store the pics I intend to be viewed on the Cat Forum site (by creating a member gallery, that I have yet to make), how are they viewed by others?

Do I have to do this if I create the gallery here?

Or is it only if I have the pics on my own webspace would I need to do the

I guess I am really being dense, but as I said, this is my first time. I'm sure I am down on the learning curve. I will definitely have to shrink the file sizes, and I completely understand that. Can anyone recommend Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0? That is what I was looking at purchasing to get the pics ready.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Bryon (you're the second person I've met who spells it like that :) ),

In response to your first question:
After you upload your pictures to your catforum gallery, you will be able to view them by clicking on them from the gallery home page. Go ahead and do that. When they're the main picture on the page, right click on it and click on "properties." In the box that pops up you will see "Address (URL)". Hi-light the URL listed there with your mouse and press Ctrl and C. This will copy the URL to your "clipboard." Then, go to the thread where you want to post, click in the box that you type your message in, and press Ctrl and V. This will paste the URL that you copied from the properties box into the response box. Then hilight the URL again and click on the IMG button just above the response box and it will bring up the img tags you need to make the link. When you hit submit, you should see the image you linked.

In response to your second question:
The above instructions will work exactly the same regardless of where your picture is located on the web. EXCEPT :!: Some free webspace services like Geocities won't allow an outside link to a picture on your website. It steals their bandwidth and they really hate that. So if you have pictures on free webspace, it's best just to post a regular link to your website instead of trying to post pictures from your website here. Or make your own gallery here at catforum and follow the instructions in Question 1.

Nah, you're not being dense. We all have to start learning somewhere. :)

I really like Jasc Paint Shop Pro. It's relatively inexpensive and very easy to learn.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thanks Annissa!

I don't know anyone that spells it this way. Telemarketers sure never get it right. I have my mom to thank for it. Sometimes it gets on my nerves though, as most people see Bryon, and say Byron. Hearing Byron really irks me.

I printed your instructions, and I will give this a try soon. I'd like to do it tonight, but might not have enough time. I have cable modem service, and I also get 10MB of webspace with that. It would be my "own" webspace. So, I may have to try both ways and see which I like better. Thanks also for the software recommendation. I will learn more about that.

Thanks again though for the detailed instructions.

Bryon

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Thanks for covering what I left out, Annissa :)

I've only got a minute at the moment, but later tonight I'll give you some tips on how to resize pictures.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
ok, here's a way you can cut down on the size of your photos before you buy an expensive photo program. If you're a Windows user, just use MS Paint.

-Open the picture in MS Paint
-On the top toolbar click edit, and then select all
-Click the corner of the picture and drag it to resize it. Do your best to keep it even or you'll distort your picture. Unfortunately, Paint has no better way to resize the photo.
-After you resize it, there should be a white area around the picture. Make sure you go to the bottom right corner and resize this around your photo as well. If you don't, the white part will be part of your saved picture.
-Then just go to file, save as, and make sure you save it as a JPEG and you should be set.

I just did an example in paint, here is a picture directly from my digital camera. (file size - 753KB) Here is a version that I resized using MS Paint the way I described. (file size - 90KB)

With a free 10MB account you could only fit about a dozen of the 750K sized files, but you could hold about a 100 of the 90K files.

I hope this helps, I used to edit all of my photos this way until I acquired Adobe Photoshop 6.0

Let me know if you need any more help. :)

G'luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts