Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do people go away for a vacation without their animals?! :?:

I "foolishly" said yes to my best friend when she asked me if I could go with her out of town for the weekend for her son's hockey tournament. Her husband couldn't get the weekend off, they were calling for some weather and she knows I don't mind driving in the snow.

Well, I went out and bought everything that my animals might need/want (probably enough for about a month)and wrote the schedule down for my husband!

-Coca needs her "pills" when we give the dog her meds in the morning (Coca gets a couple of treats but they have to come out of her own pillbox (got a fresh one from the vet).
Then she needs to do her morning walk around the house BEFORE the dogs are let out.
She eats x much wetfood at 7:30 but she only eats in her own room.

-Whisper gets x much wet but he won't eat it unless it's put on the windowsill in the living room and he won't start eating until you get his motor going by giving his back a good rub.

-Gizmo gets her food mixed with a bit of warm water and eats it in our room.
She only drinks from glasses so they need to be kept full at the various spots I have them.
She can only have a certain amount of treats over the day, otherwise she gets a bad tummy!

-our dogs get so much kibble mixed with a tablespoon of natural plain yogurt except for sunday mornings - then I crack 1 egg each with their kibble and mix it in.
Take the kongs and fill it with yogurt and put it in the freezer for their night time treat.
Give them their supplements and a treat after.
Before you go to work, put them in the kennels with their other Kong toy - no other toy in there when they are alone!

Similar routine in the evenings..

I was so stressed over the weekend over my animals that I really didn't enjoy myself that much. :sad
I even wrote down what each of the cats like as in how to pick them up, what kind of rubs they want and so on.. Who does that?! Lol :wiggle

I really wish I could be one of those people that can leave their animals with a person they trust and that be enough.

Hubby says I got issues! Lol :cool
Please tell me I ain't the only one that needs to know their spoiled brats gets the same routine while away! :p

·
Premium Member
7,857 Posts
YOU ARE NUTS!!! Just kidding! You are NOT nuts!! You are a typical cat momma that loves her furbabies and just has a hard time thinking someone else might be as good with them as you are. I'm glad you can at least have someone to be there and be a surrogate mommy to them! That must have helped a little.

I personally don't like to travel - I get homesick, miss my bed, my yard and REALLY miss my kitties but I love the thought of traveling and constantly tell hubby "we need to see Wyoming and Montana and the Adirondacks and Halifax", etc. I want to do it in an RV and have our remaining one or two cats with us. Missy, Maddie and Lacey are all old and I don't expect them to last much more than 5 years when the full fledged ripe retirement/traveling age sets in. That will leave Jack and Coco to join us on our big adventures.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Whoah..:shock: I am soooo glad I wasn't the cat sitter!! (snicker, gigglez)

I DID like the treats in the "fresh from the vet" pill box, so when the dog gets meds, so does she. :thumb LOL

I know my schedule is weird in its own special way, it's just that I never think of it as anything other than normal. Are mine spoiled? Of course not! :wiggle We have just worked out a mutual level of communication that seems to work seamlessly. :cool:

And I just don't do any overnighters to anywhere. If I can't do it within the same day, it don't get done. :D

·
Registered
184 Posts
We live in Florida so we take a lot of day trips (amusement parks, the beach, a day of boating, etc) so naturally that doesn't interfere with our myriad of pets.

It sounds weird, but my husband usually takes a week or two and heads to North Carolina to play campground host with his parents and then I usually take a different time and go somewhere with the kids and my mother. It sounds odd, but it works for us. The bonus is that there is always someone home for the furry (and no so furry) set.

I have always wanted to take the cats to the beach, however. Just to see how they would react.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have two very trusted people that I know will go above and beyond with my animals. One is my mom who just takes them in if we are going away for more than a few days. The other is a friend who actually comes and spends the afternoon or evening with them. I don't worry generally because I know they are going to be safe and very happy under thier care.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
We take them with us. Usually the only place we go is the cabin in the Gulf Islands, it's a very small unheard of island with no stores or cars... it's so small all the homes have to be along the waterfront.

Blacky leading the way on a walk:
... if I was to actually go somewhere I couldn't take them (pretty much never happens) I'd leave them with family or at home. I really wouldn't worry, I imagine they're just going to sleep most of the time while I'd be gone. ;)

·
Registered
825 Posts
Such a complicated regimen.... lol. I think you've created an environment that is impossible to maintain fully by anyone other than yourself.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I used to NEVER go anywhere MowMow couldn't come (This was before Book came along). I was convinced that NO one could ever take care of them the way I could and I was positive something would go terribly wrong if I went away.

Christmas 2012 I had to go home for Christmas. I had a stroke that year and my family hadn't seen me (they are ALL on the east coast) except my mom, and it was just... important.

I got a reference for a pet sitter and knew a couple of her clients who gave RAVE reviews. It was the most freeing experience EVER. I got text message pictures every night, she was here 3X a day (my nosy neighbors kept track of her comings and goings and let me know how often she came). She is a vet tech so I knew she could handle anything that came up and she was made aware of medical issues, hiding places, and food/litter preferences. I called ahead to the vet and left my CC# and cell phone # and they knew that Liz would be coming in if something came up.

It was like the weight of the world was lifted off me when I realized that I COULD go away and not obsess (of course I still WORRY, just not obsess) over what they are doing and how they are.

In fact, Ive got a very nice weekend planned in a few weeks with a new friend up in the mountains and I'm REALLY looking forward to it! Liz is booked, I updated and reprinted the info sheet (affectionatly known as 'the bible') for her and am busy thinking of what to pack for my trip. :D

·
Registered
825 Posts
Probably once a week, as I'm going through my feeding process, I do a walk through in my head of how I would explain the routine to someone who would have to do it for me.

I always try and think of a way to simplify it even further.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I have always wanted to take the cats to the beach, however. Just to see how they would react.
My ex and I used to take MowMow to the Oregon Coast for long weekends. We put him in the 'sunroom' that faced the ocean while we unpacked the car and organized the house. He was hilarious watching the Ocean, I dont' think his tail stopped whipping around for the entire weekend and his eyes stayed like dinner plates.

When we took him OUT on the beach in his harness he was scratching and digging like crazy... he had a pee... and then spent hours climbing on driftwood, walking up to strange people, and exploring the cliff that led up to our cottage.

THEN when the tide came in and 'chased' him backwards he puffed up but wouldn't turn tale... he just kept backing up.

We went back to the same house dozens of times over a few years and he was always so excited to get out on the sand. The only problem we ever had were aggressive seagulls. A couple of times it was like a 'gang up and get the cat!' moments where I had to step in and pick him up while my ex chased the birds off.

When we'd get home I'd always leave a beach towel (that I'd sit on while he explored on the retractable leash) unwashed and on the couch for him to lay on for a few extra weeks.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
We have our only grandson in Florida and we live in Massachusetts, so we have no choice but to travel. And truthfully, it doesn't matter WHAT I tell the pet sitter because she rarely/never sees my cats so doesn't have to do anything for/to them except scoop food into bowls and scoop poop and pee out of litter boxes lol.

I was more nervous than usual this last time we traveled because I had never left two out of three of the cats we have now since I got them, and I didn't know how they would be. They all weathered it fine, although it does make me nervous that the pet sitter (a friend of mine) can't lay eyes on them in case something was wrong. But I do the best I can, and I don't want to traumatize them by boarding them so I hope for the best.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Blacky likes the beach, it's a massive sandbox plus she runs around with the dogs. She's really old now, so I doubt there'd be much of the running, but she'd still be intrigued watching the water (from a distance)...

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Nebraska - That's a great idea!! I use a scale so I just left the amounts in ounces and the scale on the counter. I like the idea of pictures thought for where to put the bowls... and other stuff.

The first time I was so worried about the logistics. I spent weeks writing that 'bible' for her.

Little things like, "Once the food is down, leave the room and don't walk around too much or MowMOw will stop eating and you'll have to coax him to start again."

or

"make sure you put MOwMOw's food down first and then Shepherd Book's otherwise MowMOw will follow you into the bathroom and won't come out and Book will get excited and walk away from his food and you'll have to catch him and put him back in the bathroom."

oh and,

"After MowMOw finishes don't let BOok out right away. He prefers to use the litterbox while Book is still locked up and it takes him time to decide which box/which body function he wants to do first."

God bless good and patient pet sitters :D

·
Registered
825 Posts
Sheesh...

I get 5 cans out of the cabinet, trying not to feed the same thing I fed previously. Gather all 5 dishes and give them a good rinse, wash if needed. Open cans, put the food in the dishes, lightly chop the food with the spoon. Serve them on the cat counter (obviously Alice the outdoor girl gets her food outside). Walk away.

·
Banned
422 Posts
"we need to see Wyoming and Montana and the Adirondacks and Halifax", etc. I want to do it in an RV and have our remaining one or two cats with us.
Cool! If you ever come up to the "'Dacks" you can meet Shelly and I! :wiggle We're just an hour's drive south on the Northway from Lake George, and 2 hours away from Lake Placid and Saranac Lake. Beautiful country up there.

I can relate to the OP. I'm here on my first day back at work since Adoption Day last Tuesday, with some separation anxiety. I went home for lunch for some cuddle time. Shelly jumped right in my lap as soon as I sat down!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know I am completely whipped!! And sadly I think it was myself that did it - not my cats! :-| lol

I know my hubby loves them and takes care of them but he always rolls his eyes when it takes me sooooo long to get everything done and ready for my zoo so I knew he would probably be tempted to skip a few steps! lol

Hence the instruction sheet(s...) that I left for him... :deal lol

And even though he will scratch a few heads during the day - I have always had the need to pick everybody up for a good snuggle a couple of times of day and my snugglebugs LOVE it!

Whisper and Coca are pretty laid back and easy going but Gizmo is very high maintenance when it comes to snuggles and how she wants to be held. While the other 2 will tolerate being picked up in the "normal way you pick up a cat" while giving the stink eye and looking stupid - Gizmo will not!

She needs to be picked up and held like a little infant (hind legs hanging down your front, front paws over your shoulder or around your neck and your hand under her bum) or she needs to kind of lay down on your arm in a special way and I'm the only one that knows how to do this... lol

Plus - Gizmo likes to talk a lot but again - only I hit the right notes of "sniffle noises" with her and she only responds when I does this.. Hubby has tried to learn this (God love him) but he just sounds like he's stuffed up and Gizmo looks at him like he's gone off the deep end! lol :yellbounce

I love the idea of travelling and seeing everything I can but at the same time I am very much a homebody! Love my weirda** routines (that's what hubby calls it) and love being around my animals.

We only typically go to the cabin or to the in laws and if we are gone more than a day - we pack up the whole lot! :crazy

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I DID like the treats in the "fresh from the vet" pill box, so when the dog gets meds, so does she. :thumb LOL
She wouldn't stop trying to get at the pills - she wanted some too so finally I gave up and asked the vet for an empty pill box that was exactly identical to this one... She LOVES this little part in the mornings! As soon as I go to where the pills are, she jumps up on the dresser, the back arch she gives me is about a mile high, tail straight up with the tip shaking like on a rattle snake and the meow/purr thing she does is comical! 8)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Probably once a week, as I'm going through my feeding process, I do a walk through in my head of how I would explain the routine to someone who would have to do it for me.

I always try and think of a way to simplify it even further.
I know what you mean.. When I was writing this all down I didn't think anything of it but after I came back and reread it I felt like I could catch a glimpse of this "crazy cat lady" my husband sees sometimes! lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts