• Cat specific trimmers

Votes: 36 70.6%
  • People clippers

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Nail cappy thingamabobbers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Declawed

• Other? Anyone bite their kitty's nails?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to what everyone does. I keep meaning to buy kitty trimmers but I usually end up clipping nails after someone gets me on accident. They usually slip my mind at the store. Opinions on methods and types of trimmers are also welcome :mrgreen:

·
Registered
979 Posts
I just bought a crappy $5 one. It's, well, really crappy, but we only clip Io's claws once she starts getting stuck to the floor. Even then, we only clip the offending one. She's very gentle an I've only been scratched a handful of times (all of which were my fault, holding her when she's startled)

·
Registered
175 Posts
We use a very old pair of cat specific trimmers; they are small and have a rounded tip. We started trimming their nails when they were just kittens and Oscar actually purrs when we trim his nails. We trim frequently and never get anywhere near the quick. One of us holds Oscar on our lap, tummy up. The other one trims the claws with lots of cuddles inbetween. He used to get a treat after trims, but now we just tell him what a good boy he is!

We decided to start when they were kittens after having two cats who had to have one nail trimmed at a time when they were fast asleep!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I have a pair of these that I use:

I have on occasion used a large pair of human ones but only if I really have to as they often split the nail so if using human ones, I only take the smallest amount possible off the very tips.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I have one of this as well, except the handle is green :D

I clip my cats nails on front paws about every 2 weeks, and on feet a little longer, maybe every 3-4 weeks. I do it when my cats are snuggling on my laps. They don't mind at all. :cool

·
Registered
8,965 Posts

I have on occasion used a large pair of human ones but only if I really have to as they often split the nail so if using human ones, I only take the smallest amount possible off the very tips.
I use the same trimmers, love them. I also see the same problem with human clippers here.

I do feet every two weeks. All but MowMow's back claws. He chews those off himself as part of his grooming.

I lay on the bed with them and just snip snip snip. Usually no fuss, no muss.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
I don't, if anyone is wondering who voted that. :p We do have nail clippers for Blaze similar to the ones pictured, but he doesn't seem to need them (he doesn't get caught on anything) - we used to clip his nails every once in a while but he screamed ... it sounded like we were killing him. More trouble than it was worth.

Blacky is outdoors so we'd never clip her claws.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I clip with human toenail clippers. They split the nail if you clip top to bottom, but if you turn them so the blades come in from each side they don't do that. And the splitting never seems to bother them anyways. We have to keep Willies nails clipped, he is CONSTANTLY on my chest/shoulder (being held like a baby getting burped), jumps up there himself, crawls up there if I'm sitting, the cat does not sit next to you or on your lap like a normal cat, he has to be over your shoulder or down your shirt. Weirdo.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
I am with hoofmaiden and ~Siameseifuplz~, I use a regular (human) nail-clipper turned sideways. We don't happen to own a big toenail version, so I use a fingernail-sized one.

I think they are easier to handle, plus you can see the nail easily while trimming. I haven't seen the ones that look like scissors in the pet store, we originally used a small version of a dog nail trimmer (the one which you hold flat, the tip of the nail fits into the hole, and a spring-assisted blade slides across and clips).

Fran

·
Registered
98 Posts
I use the scissor-style ones posted earlier, never had a problem with split nails. I have a pair of small dog nail clippers for cats with really thick/large nails. I also recommend Softpaws, the nail caps. They are awesome, easy to apply and most cats do great with them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am with hoofmaiden and ~Siameseifuplz~, I use a regular (human) nail-clipper turned sideways. We don't happen to own a big toenail version, so I use a fingernail-sized one.

I think they are easier to handle, plus you can see the nail easily while trimming. I haven't seen the ones that look like scissors in the pet store, we originally used a small version of a dog nail trimmer (the one which you hold flat, the tip of the nail fits into the hole, and a spring-assisted blade slides across and clips).

Fran
I've also favor the human clippers.. much easier to see the nails, when turned side ways it just cuts more surely and cleanly IMO. I've used the large human clippers and also the smaller ones.. the small ones seem to work better on whisker's mind. The larger ones just freak her out a bit more. I clip them every 3 weeks or so.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I havent noticed any splitting, but then I also use the clippers vertically. Winston has super thick nails and they don't fit the other way :p

·
Registered
463 Posts
I use the same ones posted, plus I had another set that I liked better that looked like modified nut crackers...loved those but someone (Kisa.....) has hidden them on me lol.

Jordan and MacKenzie are pretty good, they just lay there and let me clip away happily lol. Logan fusses a bit and sometimes tries to get away, but overall he's not so bad.

Kisa...well....she's a handful. She hisses and growls and snaps and swipes at me so I've resorted to wrapping her in a blanket. It's over in less than a minute, but it takes about ten to do her cuz she makes such a fuss about it. I wouldn't bother at all except she likes to knead bare skin and that really hurts lol. Plus she gets caught in the carpet when she walks. You'd think after 8 years she would be better about it...but nope!

·
Registered
395 Posts
I bought Bamboo brand cat nail trimmers like 5 years ago and they are still in really good condition. I have 2 cats whose nails I trim twice a month, my male cats nails grow especially fast.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have a few of the scissor type ones pictured about and also some spring loaded small dog ones, which are the ones I prefer like these:

I use human baby clippers on baby kittens from 4 weeks.

·
Registered
762 Posts

I use a pair simialr to these. I replace them annually because they start to get dull.

I trim all claws every month or so. Usually I get reminded it's time by someone catching me with a claw during play, or the nightly kneading gets painful. I also always trim claws the night before a vet visit.

I use butter for incentive for the cats that need it, hold the cat in my lap, upright, put a dot of butter on kitty's mouth so she has something to focus on besides what I am doing, and snip away.

Some accepted it right away, some have needed a little training, one had to be wrapped, as a kitten, but once she learned she wasn't being killed I no longer had to wrap her. She still screams through the whole thing though, just on principal. One it took years of daily paw work before I was able to trim her front claws, then another three years before she would allow the hind claws.

When released they get a final lick of butter off my finger and forget about it until next time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I never thought to use toenail clippers! I use ones similar to what has been posted but my fingers always seem to get in weird positions where I can't cut properly so I have to use two hands to re-situate them. Clippers sound much easier!

Mine were so easy to clip as kittens, but now they are older they are giving me a little bit more of a struggle. I'm sporting a nice scar on my leg from a clipping excursion. Didn't even feel anything at the time, then I stood up and saw the blood.

Do you all clip all 4 paws or only the front 2?

·
Banned
2,744 Posts
Yeah--the scissor type clippers get in my way and I can't see what I'm doing, which isn't a good thing IMO. ;) The human clippers make it easier to see what's going on and do do it fast. I do all 4. Often I just do the fronts, then get the hinds the next day. I do it when they are sleepy and by the time they are fully awake I'm done (or almost done). ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts