Cat Forum banner

how?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Ground is just easier for us, I have an extremely finicky, practically toothless, calico who will only eat chicken. I've tried her on chunky stuff, and she just can't do it, it causes her pain after time.

Ground is also easier for my neighbor when she feeds for us (I have an awesome neighbor!!!:))

We raise our own meat rabbits, so my other cats get rabbit. Ground rabbit, with supplements, is what has worked for my kitties with food issues, so we've stuck with it. It's the cheapest way for me to feed raw, and I absolutely love love love having the rabbits here!! We had planned to build our herd to be able to sell rabbit to pet customers also, to recoup some costs, and we've reached that point faster than we thought. I just went to my vets clinic friday, and they are 100% on board with what we are doing. I gave them some business cards, and the small animal vet put them right in his rooms for customers to see. Love my vets!!

I will say too, my cats have never gotten bored with eating just ground rabbit or chicken. They eat so much better than when they were on canned. They beg for every meal, and eat everything they are given.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow thats cool you raise your own rabbits. i dont have the time or space for that. i live in a condo in northern VA so its not even an option. i havent started homemade yet but ive made the investment and im just waiting for the grinder and supplements. Ive ordered some rabbit from haretoday and some duck. also of course chicken from my local super market which is super cheap (1$ per pound). i did the calculations and if my 2 cats each eat about 6oz a day each then it will cost 1$ per cat per day to maintain that diet. however i think they will be eating more than that.... the seem to be eating a lot of raw compared to the volume of canned they were getting before. they are only 11 weeks and they are eating close to 8-9oz a day.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I picked the wrong one! LOL We do a miz of whole/franken/ground. IMO variety is the spice of life, and ground makes it easy to get bone into finicky cats sometimes. ;)

I picked frankenpray, tho, so that's what I get for being a quicktoanswer without looking at everything first. :/

We do whole rats, mice, quail, and franken prey for everything else (frog, rabbits, deer, cow, chicken, pork, fish, emu).

·
Registered
435 Posts
Newbie x 10

I just started Ritz on commercial raw five days ago, she still gets some high quality wet. I have discontinued all dry. I didn't like what Classic Fancy Feast was doing to her energy level and really didn't like the ingredients. (FF was a godsend when I had to give her Baytril; it was either FF or shoving a pill down her throat.)
She is loving the raw, but not the constant hunger; the volume difference is significant.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I combo feed commercial raw, frankenprey, and canned. Seems like I am throwing out more canned lately though, the kits want more raw!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm doing frankenprey for the most part, but I'm trying to find somewhere that will grind bones for me. My oldest cat is 14, lived one nothing but medium quality kibble for about 13 years, and just can't get the hang of chewing bones unless I crush them up. Hopefully getting someone to grind them for her will be easiest on both of us.

·
Registered
435 Posts
AC,
For a very long time I've been feeding her between 8 and 9 ounces (!) of wet food (mainly classic Fancy Feast [around 83 calories per can] and 1/8 cup dry (TOTW) [around 50 calories per 1/8 cup]. And, her weight has been increasing, somewhat slowly. She weighs at least 12 pounds. I can not feel her ribs.
Since Wednesday, I've been trying to restrict her food to: six oz wet (Soulisitc or Weruva, roughly 80 calories per 3 oz) and two ounces of raw (Primal) (50 calories per ounce). I've cut out the dry.
I think the issue may be VOLUME: 3 oz of wet = 1/2 cup of food. 1 oz of raw = around 2 to 3 Tablespoon. I think she may be one of these cats who cannot self-regulate according to caloric intake. (Although if she really doesn't like the taste of something, she will not eat it, even if I'm gone all day.)
She has always been more hungry at night time. During the work week, I'm gone for 11 hours. I'm home more during the day on the weekends, so I feed her more smaller meals, but I haven't noticed a significant difference in hunger/meows.
Also, I am slowly learning that every meow doesn't mean "fed me". Ritz is my first cat/pet, and she is a rescue (lived on the streets for the first four to six months of her life).
I also accept that the problem is Me, not Her.
Sorry for the long reply, but I wanted to give you the complete picture.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how much do you guys spend a month per cat? I calculated it and its going to be roughly 50$ a month per cat.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Wow! That's lots!!!

Even buying everything from a grocery store (asian market) I was only paying $80/month for 4 cats!!

Mow I pay about $60/month for the four of them. I do a mix; ground meat with bone, ground meat with bone and organ, ground meat, chunks of meat, chicken/duck necks. I buy all that from a local company, and I generally buy some 'treat' meal throughout the month too. Salmon, beef stew meat, or w/e is about to go off at safeway lol.

OMG...I can't imagine paying $200/month in cat food...*shudder*.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Mine is maybe $10 a month per cat. However, I buy meat only when it is on sale, so I save a lot that way. I feed frankenprey raw (also called prey model raw).

·
Registered
473 Posts
No raw diet since two of my cats died of food poisoning seven years ago. It was human grade ground meat and I will not risk that again. I still get the human grade ground meat, but I cook it to eliminate any possible pathogens.

I would prefer to feed raw, but I am not doing that again to my kitties.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow! That's lots!!!

Even buying everything from a grocery store (asian market) I was only paying $80/month for 4 cats!!

Mow I pay about $60/month for the four of them. I do a mix; ground meat with bone, ground meat with bone and organ, ground meat, chunks of meat, chicken/duck necks. I buy all that from a local company, and I generally buy some 'treat' meal throughout the month too. Salmon, beef stew meat, or w/e is about to go off at safeway lol.

yeah i could be a lot cheaper if i stuck to only chicken and turkey. im not sure how you guys are able to keep the cost so low.... maybe it has to do with location and finding good deals. 100$ a month isnt too bad considering i spend a lot more on myself just eating out. i havent looked at my local asian market yet tho. i never really looked at the weird meats like organs and such when i go so i have no idea what those prices are.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So i gave my girls chunks of chicken necks and they loved it. but the problem is they dont eat it where i serve it, they take it and munch on it and walk around and constantly drop it on the floor and even play with it a little bit. how do you get them to not do this? i had to follow both of them around and clean up all the places they dropped it on the floor.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I do a mix of dehydrated raw (Stella and Chewy's), commercial frozen raw (Nature's Variety), high quality wet (Too many to list), and a quail egg every week.

·
Registered
336 Posts
We do franken prey here, not too sure on the cost as we have fluctuating numbers with litters but it would only be a few dollars a day per cat, under $300 a month.

Wouldn't do dry so it's still cheaper than wet (though cost isn't our main concern), with tinned food at $1.99-$2.80 for 85 grams feeding each cat 3 times a day would get very expensive.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You can attempt to train them to remain in one place, feed them in the tub, bathroom or another room with an easy-to-clean floor, or do like I do with four of mine and crate them for meals.

AC
Thanks for the advice AC. i was thinking about doing something like that.

i heard them growl for the first time the other day when i gave them chicken necks. they got all defensive when the other went to get more from the bowl or if one got to close to the other while she was eating. its weird cause they spend every second together. they sleep together and play together all day. they don't do that with ground raw food tho.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Wow! That's lots!!!

$60/month for 4 cats?? I'm impressed!! Where do you shop at? We live in the same general area, if I knew where to go that won't cost a fortune I may consider the change to raw. Thanks!! Maybe PM me so we don't totally hijack the thread lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts