Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading into the kitchen to start dinner preparations. My husband likes Cube Steak with gravy and mashed potatoes. I like it prepared with stewed tomatoes. So...I will be preparing TWO different dinners from one type of meat tonight.
How do you like to make yours?

·
Super Moderator
18,393 Posts
Seems like we don't have many cube steak eaters. I'm off to go make some Chicken Fried Rice.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Sorry you haven't had any replies to this but we don't really do cube steak either. However, with other steak or beef in general I prefer a baked potato.

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
I'm not a cubed steak kind of girl, although I have used it to make Chicken Fried Steak. Of course you don't want any recipe suggestions from me anyway because I made ramen tonight and it was BAD.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HOW can you mess up Ramen? :lol:

I've never made it like chicken-fried-steak, but as I was preparing it for the Husband, I realized I make it almost exactly like I do for stew. He asked me to prepare it differently (instead of the 'stew-ish' vegetables and thin liquid) he wanted me to make a lot of brown gravy to cook the meat in and he wanted mashers to pour some of the gravy over and have frozen peas or corn on the side as a veggie.
For myself, instead of 'stew stuff' I use 2 cans of stewed tomatoes and dish it up over rice.

For both ways, I cut the cubed steak into 1" wide strips, dredge in flour and cornstarch, salt/pepper and brown in canola oil.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Heidi n Q said:
I'm heading into the kitchen to start dinner preparations. My husband likes Cube Steak with gravy and mashed potatoes. I like it prepared with stewed tomatoes. So...I will be preparing TWO different dinners from one type of meat tonight.
How do you like to make yours?
I have no idea what cube steak but I am sure I can google it..
Mark likes file Mignon (sp?) with bacon wrapped around, no sauce I guess.
I don't eat beef so no help here.
How did it turn out?

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It turned out great! He liked the way I prepared his and I liked the way I prepared mine. We were both satisfied.

Cubed steak is a flat-ish piece of meat that is run through a meat tenderizer (sort of like a laundry wringer, but with small blades to cut) several times to break up the muscle fibers. The grocery store meat department I used to work in would do this with thin cuts of round steak.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
We don't eat alot of this meat......here and there, and it's usually when I don't feel like cooking, and hubby makes his own meal. He fries it! He's such a "frier!" :lol: I can say, however, tomatoes over beef, let alone chicken, just makes my arm hair stand on end! :lol:

·
Banned
5,531 Posts
I had absolutely no idea what cube steak is, so consulted Mr Google and found this.

http://www.cubesteak.com/

Just in case you fancy trying another recipe next time Heidi ;)

Looks good ...

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Heidi n Q said:
It turned out great! He liked the way I prepared his and I liked the way I prepared mine. We were both satisfied.

Cubed steak is a flat-ish piece of meat that is run through a meat tenderizer (sort of like a laundry wringer, but with small blades to cut) several times to break up the muscle fibers. The grocery store meat department I used to work in would do this with thin cuts of round steak.
I see!!thank you for explaining, I am glad you enjoyed it!

·
Registered
156 Posts
oh i love fried green tomatoes!!! my mom cooks flank steak some, she just puts it in the pan and cooks it... i think she does special things to her food when im not looking cause when i try to cook the same things it ALWAYS tastes different!

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hope4204 said:
oh i love fried green tomatoes!!! my mom cooks flank steak some, she just puts it in the pan and cooks it... i think she does special things to her food when im not looking cause when i try to cook the same things it ALWAYS tastes different!

I know! All Mother's must be sneaky that way....it must be like, in a contract, the user's manual, their warranty or something.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Below is a recipe I found on the interwebz that has a photo.
http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/0 ... matoes.php

I make mine differently:
Firm, green tomatoes. Sliced between 1/2" and 3/4" (about 1.5cm) thick. I make up a mix of flour, salt pepper and sugar to dredge my green tomatoes in. The sugar will carmelize and make a very nice crispy coating of 'carmelized crust' on the fried tomato. I feel this gives the tang of the green tomato a little bit of sweetness.

Ha! I found the recipe online:
1/4 c flour
1 Tbs sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbs butter or margarine
1 lb. Green tomatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick

Mix flour, sugar, salt, pepper; coat tomato slices. Melt butter over medium heat.
Cook tomato slices in a single layer. Cook 3-4 minutes per side until lightly browned. Drain on paper towel. ENJOY !!

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, John! The deviled is similar to how I like to make mine, the BBQ didn't sound appetizing at all...but the pizza one...that one made me drool! :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts