Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my cat is always jumping on the kitchen service, how do you punish other then the water method. he knows hes not suppose to do it, because when i come he will jump off he table, but when im not there he will jump

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
As a rule, I don't punish Assumpta. The only problems I ever really had with her were snapping and swatting...just aggressiveness towards people (which was understandable). Teaching her "No bites" and "no paws" helped with that. I've never had a problem with her scratching furniture or speakers...she tried each a couple of times, stopped when she was told (usually with a light touch on her paws), and never showed a big interest in them again (though a couple of times she has scratched the couch when under stress, like a visiting dog or child, but I know she's just trying to mark HER space, so I just ask her politely to stop and she does). The only time she really gets punished (which is a light tap with three fingers on her hind quarters) is when she's doing something that could physically hurt her (the only two times I recall doing this were when she jumped up on the woodstove when it was cold, and the time that she crawled into the furnace ductwork when we were rerouting a line). Because it happens so seldom, it's very effective. The water is useless for me, because I can never find the water bottle in time, and she knows it's me doing it anyways. In general, I just ask her to do things politely, and she complies. I'm just lucky, I guess.

I'm not too fussy about dining room table...I do prefer her off the kitchcn counters...it hasn't been a huge problem, though I'm sure she occasionally tap-dances on the counter when I'm not around...but it doesn't bug me THAT much. I figure if she's smart enough to get around the rules, more power to her (I am a well-trained owner).

One thing you can try is a strip of "Sticky Paws" on the edges of the table or counter you want to keep the cat from using...cats hate it when their paws land in something icky at the end of a jump and it may solve the problem fairly quickly. They also make spray-on cat repellents, alarms that go off when the cat goes someplace he's not supposed to, and mats/strips that emit a small electrostatic charge that animals don't like.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I have learned from Dr Jean to never punish cats. Not only does that specific action break the bond between you and your cat but it only teaches the cat to be afraid and that is not the solution you want. From my experience with cats I have learned that one of the best ways to work with them is to offer immediate alternative whenever negative behaviour occurs. So what I do is say NO and pick up the cat if caught scratching, wondering in all the bad places - like counters!, or else and place him - especially Frosty the Explorer - where the toys, scratching posts are and lure him to positive activities. Ecourage him to playing with the toys and scratching the post - rewarding him for doing so with loving voice and treats.

From what I recall DrJean suggested that clapping of the hands or other noises performed buy us will only teach the cat not to perform those specific actions when we are present. So she was talking about some sort of device that makes a sound when the cat climb some place (I cannot recall exactly) or the use of the products from www.stickypaws.com

·
Registered
697 Posts
The water squirt doesn't work for me cause he loves water but I found shutting Cleveland out the room helped. He was terrible for trying to jump onto the cooker, I was terrified he's do it one day when it was on so I'd lift him off and say no. That didn't work so when he did it I just popped him outside the kitchen and shut the door with me inside. He HATES getting ignored. If he came in and did it again, same thing. If he came in and played on the floor and sit down and pl;ay with him or give him a reward. No doubt when I;m out he's probably cooking himself up an omlette or something but when I'm there it seems to do the trick.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have several different meathods I use - depending on what's happening.

If I am very far away from my kitties I will slap my hands or snap my fingers together loudly with a loud "NO!"

If he is showing agression or biting my hand - rather than use water - I just blow in his face. It gives him an unpleasant sensation and makes him close his eyes - and pretty much makes him stop what he is doing. I learned that meathod from the hedgehog forum believe it or not. It really worked when it came to them biting me - so I thought... hey! Why wouldn't it work for cat's too? And it does!

If he is playing with something he shouldn't I either swat (when I say swat I mean flick my hand at him a little - not nessesarily touching - and if I do touch I do not hurt him) or push him out of the way. Sometimes followed with a "NO! This is mine!" Then point him to his toys - or give him one of his toys. I sometimes spank him very lightly if he jumps right back on the object in question, no beating, just a light tap. I only do it if all of the other meathods aren't working. It gets his attention and makes him realize that I don't want him to play with my things... and he has pleanty of his own toys to play with.

If he is scratching inapropriately I say "NO!" and pick him up and place him infront of his post and scratch the post so he gets the idea. After he follows me - I tell him "Good kitty!" in a happy voice and pet him.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I wouldn't say I punish my cats. I've used the "water spraying method" to teach them not to be at the kitchen counters.

My cats listen to "NO" and my "hissing sounds". If they do something wrong (like scratching where they shouldn't) I simply show them how to do it right (take them to the scratching post and scratch there myself).

It's worked for me. Of course my cats are naughty sometimes, but mostly they actuarally do like I say.

I didn't get a cat because they're obedient :wink:

·
Registered
697 Posts
I use the blowing in face method to if he's having a rough moment. Kinda backfored on me once as I blew a little too hard and made him sneeze. Right in my face. :wink:

·
Registered
562 Posts
I wouldn't say I punish Dusty either. If he is being naughty (there is one chair he loves to stratch) I usually just yell and that is good enough to stop it. I have to admit, I don't yell "no"; over time "hey, hey, hey, HEY!" has become "no" to Dusty.

However, I find it hard to yell at him - I think the chair is uglier than sin and if he destroys it, it makes an excuse to replace it! :oops:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
That's funny...Assumpta's code word for "No" is "ExCUSE me, please!!"

Assumpta has been working for years to break a lamp that my mother-in-law gave me with no success :(

·
Registered
102 Posts
I try lots of things with Mammers. I say "NO!", clap my hands, swat him on the behind (with open fingers, not hard enough to hurt), or run towards him waving my hands and making noise (lol it sounds stupid but it can startle him away from doing the bad thing). When he's being extremely aggressive (he has aggression problems, has since he was very tiny) I grab him by the scruff of the neck, shake him, and assume a dominant body position over him like the vet's assistant advised. That has helped a great deal with the biting he does and I rarely need to do it anymore, though I don't recommend doing it because I don't think it's necessary for most cats.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When Misha is misbehaving I give her a "time-out" I pick her up and put her in a room all by her little lonesome for about 15-20 minutes, with no toys. Then when she comes out I ask her if she's going to behave herself now, and she'll be as sweet as pie..

I use to try the squirt bottle with her but; found that didn't work since she is one of those weird kitties that enjoys water...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have learned that cats will do what they want to do. You can try to direct them in the behaviours that you want but if it suits them they will listen. I do use the water method to teach them to stay away from the outside doors. My cats don't go outside. I make a psst sound when i spray the water and later I don't have to spray the water I just make the sound. I guess I'm just glad they are healthy enough to misbehave.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I've never punished Marsh, only to praise when he does something great i love. :)

I have a pet peeve of him scratching my favorite recliner, a LayZBoy nonetheless!!! 8O but i have tried to stay calm, and everytime i see him do it, i calmly take him to the stratching post and brush his paws on it. It hasn't work well, so i just got him a second sctratching post which i put right next to the recliner in the hopes of curbing the behavior. It's worked somewhat, the recliner gets 50% and the scratcher gets 50%.

I'm happy and he's happy :p... and it's a load off my mind, you can believe it :p

·
Registered
282 Posts
Mostly my cats get a "NO!" When they were little we used the squirt bottle, and it really seemed to work. They got it only when they jumped on the table or counter or when they tried to attack the plants. Now a clap or a stomp is usually enough. Sometimes all I have to do is say their name in an upset voice and they will behave. Biting (which only Lucky does) is met with a shriek and a "No biting" and then I ignore her.

·
Registered
454 Posts
It may be simple nitpicking over words, but "punishment" has no purpose in regard to cats. Punishment is the extraction of a penalty for some action. It's a matter of vengeance, unless it can serve as a deterrent or discipline. To do that would require a "meeting of the minds" regarding expectation of future actions, or an intellectual remorse over deeds done. The more reasonable goal would be to discipline, since discipline by definition is a means of bringing about a desired change in behavior.

I've no doubt that pleasing their humans is a significant consideration. However, I don't think it's the highest thing in their list of priorities. They're free thinkers that prefer to act independently when it comes to responding to circumstances requiring immediate action, satisfying their needs, and satisfying their curiosity. After emergencies and strong self determined needs, they then may yield to a human's demonstrated preferences.

So, it helps to let them know what we want, but immediate and consistent adherence isn't likely.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts