Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it my vacuum cleaner? I ended up removing the cat hair from the carpets today with the mit I bought to remove cat hair from clothes. My arm aches now from all the vigorous rubbing to make balls I could pick up. In the end I had enough fur to make a second Prince.

I wish I could remove the carpets but it's a rented apt., and the tiles underneath are in no condition to be exposed as per the landlord, that's why the living room and bedroom have wall to wall.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I know because you recommended it in other threads 6 years ago. I checked it, but here it costs too much considering that when I leave this apt. I will have no use for it. If I knew I'd stay here several years, I'd no doubt buy it.

How often do you vacuum? And don't you need to scrub the hairs with your hand afterwards?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jusjim, it's a standing vacuum cleaner and I now checked the cylinder with the brushing thing and it had a bit of knots, but I don't think that's the problem... Where else should I check?

I can't believe others don't need to scrub with their hands...I thought everyone had to. Then why did a friend of mine tell me that her house is terribly hard to clean because of the cat hairs? All it takes is a good vacuum cleaner...???

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I have a Dyson Animal and I've never had a problem with any of our animals (long hair and short hair).

I can see it's picking up the hair because when I empty the canister it's FULL of cat hair bunnies and there's nothing left on the carpets.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How do you guys clean under the bed?

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I vacuum as far under as the machine will reach and if I see something that needs to be sucked up (or a toy that got shoved under there) i use the wand to suck it up/grab it for retrieval.

The cat's don't go under the bed though, MowMOw doesn't fit and the kitten hasn't seemed interested in that space.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you, jusjim. The rubber band is broken and there's a mass of tangled hair (mine) around the base of the motor and on the brush. I'm going to the store tomorrow.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I sometimes have to do the same as you!

We have a Dyson, and it does pick up a remarkable amount of hair (actually quite disgusting each time I vacuum- I'm surprised the girls have any fur left!). But some does get left behind, so every now and again I use a rubber glove to ball it all up and pull it off.

Under our bed is inaccessible to the girls, but their fur seems to end up there anyway (the are like magic cats, leaving bits of themselves everywhere!). I use the attachment to suck it up and move the bed to vacuum under there properly.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Look for a vacuum that has a rotating brush attachment that fits on the wand/hose for getting under the beds & couch. I have an inexpensive Bissell bagless that works quite well. Another trick to use a dampened squeegee (the kind of mop with the foam rubber doesn't work as well) with a long handle & drag it across the carpet going in only 1 direction - cat hair will just roll up, then just pick it up & throw it away.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Well, I have a Dyson Animal downstairs and a Sears Kenmore upstairs, they both work quite well, but nothing works on the stairs, so I use the cats Furminator to comb out the carpet there. Works like a charm. I also use the Furminator on the couches and our blankets (before I wash them or my washer gets all plugged with hair...eeeeewwww!!).

As for under the furniture, I just try not to think about it lol...I know it's there and is probably pretty disgusting, but my furniture is too heavy to move. Shaun usually moves everything around once a year so we do a thorough cleaning then.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I just have a run of the mill vacuum, but it does have various "pile" settings. I just adjust it to the lowest setting since my carpet is quite short, and I don't have any issues getting the hair cleaned up. When I dump the canister (it's a bagless) it has enough cat hair in it that I know it's doing its job. I live with my SO, and he's actually mildly allergic to cats, but he doesn't have any real issues unless he pets the cat and then touches his face without washing his hands in between, so I guess the vacuum does just fine or he'd be more miserable.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bkitty, the squeege is a great idea! I'll use that today.

·
Super Moderator
26,801 Posts
Four long-haired cats, and a vacuum works just fine. I can't imagine having to do anything like scrub the carpet!! I also invested in a Miele. I moved a heavy coffee table that hadn't been moved in 3 years (flush to the carpet, nothing gets under it), and I ran the Miele over the spot and the indentation disappeared like magic. Pulls all the cat hair off the cat trees, even has a softer drape setting and attachment. My one and only complaint, it's soooo heavy! Thankfully, this crappy little house is so tiny, it doesn't take long to finish.

But even before I bought the Miele, my regular vacuum cleaner worked just fine on the carpet. You should check out Craigslist and buy a good second-hand vacuum, or go to a reputable repair shop. They refurbish trade-ins.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, my cats' dream of seeing the vacuum cleaner break down is over. I'm just back from the store and after replacing the rubber band and the paper bag, I'm eager to see if it actually will replace my poor, hurting arm at pulling the cat hairs from the wall to wall. Will update asap.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I use a Dirt Devil for cleaning the carpets. For my shorthair carpet in the middle of the room I use a moisty pumice stone or with a slightly damp microfiber.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
jusjim, it's a standing vacuum cleaner and I now checked the cylinder with the brushing thing and it had a bit of knots, but I don't think that's the problem... Where else should I check?

QUOTE]

With mine the tube between the cylinder and the vacuum head had become blocked. I needed a broom handle to push the hair out. This was when I first brought Missy home and she was shedding masses of hair. It's not bad now, but there's still lots of hair even though she gets brushed every day.

Can you disconnect the hose from the cylinder and check if there's enough suction to pick up a bit of paper? My vacuum is an upright, bagless with a filter.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts