Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Neighbor kids brought me a 6-7 week old kitten last night and have asked for help. Bless their hearts - they rescued the poor little thing at the play ground from "big kids" throwing it by it's tail and ran like **** for home. They will not be able to keep it (their pitbull would eat it) but left here with the loan of a carrier & kitten food as a temporary measure. I checked it out, tail is a little tender but not broken. Good parents that encourage acts of kindness. I can not take in a kitten - maxxed out on number of cats on lease. I had to tell them no on taking it in, but gave what help I could. No there is not a local no-kill shelter that accepts cats. They are going to post ads & are going door to door asking neighbors if they would take in a kitten. Who else finds it heartbreaking to turn down kitties in need even when you know it would be beyond your resources.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Even though you had to say "No", it's not like you totally rejected the issue! At least you helped as much as you could!

Last year a lady found a white kitten in the road (still alive), and asked my dad if it was ours. I was taking a nap at the time, and I wonder if it was one of my feral kittens - because one was mostly white with a few gray spots. Since my dad said "no" (which was technically correct), the lady left. I am hoping/assuming that if she was going to the trouble to find owners, that the little tyke would have been taken care of - whether it was one of my ferals or not.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
If a tiny kitten that had been abused were brought to me for help, I would do everything I could possibly do for it. If I had very limited means, this would include going without food myself to care for and feed it.

This isn't a burden, it's an opportunity to truly make a difference.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Same happened to me a couple weeks ago. Someone brought me a few-hours-old kitten that was crawling desperately on the road. I wasn't able to leave it there. I have maxxed too, but decided to give this kitty my all, against all odds. Not because I wanted to, but because the best alternative was a shelter that were being kind enough to put him to sleep as a favor to me. The other alternative was to leave him on the road, hoping a car would smash him instead of the other cats eating him. I was indeed already planning on how to lower my budget on other things, but the poor thing suddenly died. My friend comforted me saying that long or short, what matters is a life lived with huge amounts of love and comforts, and that's what this kitty indeed received from me. I took his death very badly, this is the first time I talk about it since the day it happened. I miss him terribly.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
bkitty, people look hard for young kittens to adopt. I'm sure you'll find someone who will be happy to adopt him. It's a for sure thing in my country, where there's an overabundance of cats and hardly anyone adopts a cat, so where you are it'll be more than certain. What nobody wants is the trouble of raising the kitten in the first 2-3 months. If you're willing to do that work for the next month or so, I believe both you and the kitten will gain from it very much. In fact, I've offered myself as a foster for young kittens, as it's such a rewarding experience. Before that, I was thinking of volunteering in the children's hospital to hold and cuddle abandoned babies, which is nowadays considered treatment, as it strengthens the babies' immune system and ability to thrive.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I would tell the family that their pitbull is more gentle then they give it credit for and I highly doubt it would eat the kitten. If anything, it would just give it big wet kisses. Maybe then they will take it themselves.

·
Super Moderator
26,810 Posts
Awwww, the pitbull would just love that kitten to death!

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
I highly doubt it would eat the kitten.
I don't think it would eat the kitten but it could easily kill it on sight. Any kind of baby needs to be taken care of and this includes taking precautions for not allowing larger, stronger and unknown animals around it. Sure, some pitbulls would be great with a kitten, others would not. If they think their pitbull would "eat it" that pretty much speaks for what they think their dogs temperament is around cats/smaller animals.

Anyway, if a situtation like that came to my door I'm not sure what I would do... it's a tough situation.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,810 Posts
Maybe not on purpose...you just never know what will trigger something. I wouldn't take the chance.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Family is taking taking care of kitten until they find a good home. To add an extra level of protection with the dog - that is why I loaned the carrier. The dog is good with people & is well behaved but they do not want to take any chances since he has a high play drive & a single quick chomp to a fast moving kitten would be tragic. Kids have made up flyers & are even going door to door to find a forever home. I'm giving extra kudos to the Mom for her support to help her kids do the right thing for this kitten even tho she is a "dog" person.
Kids have brought the kitten by to show it off to me & it is doing fine. She is a sweet little cuddler. The little girl has even braided a little yarn collar for it. Pink with sparkles of course. It is being cared for & loved on. I've given them enough kitten food for a couple weeks & hopefully they will have found a forever home by then.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You did really well, helping out like that.

And really, we can't save ALL the cats. When a house is full, it's full. When one has too many cats, some will end up being just as feral as street cats, since you can't give them all the attention they need. So again, good decision, great job!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
It sounds like it's working out. And I agree- those parents and kids are really trying their best for little kitty. Thanks for donating the food.
Once an abused kitten has been rescued, you just want the best for it for the rest of its life, and to make sure it never gets tortured again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts