Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new kitten and have lots of questions. I got a scratching post the other day and was trying to teach Pewter (my kitten ) to use it, but he will have nothing to do with it. I can tell he is learning and wanting to scratch, but on the wrong things. What should I do?
thanks,
CRL

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Place him near the scratching post when he starts scratching the wrong things and put his paws on the post so he can scratch away. Put catnip on the post also since it may lure him there to scratch on his own. It may be that your kitten does not like the type of post you got so you can also try a vertical post if you got a horizontal one, vice versa. Good luck :!:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Take your new kitty to the post. Show them how to scratch on it with your fingers. That's how we trained tigger. He started scratching the couch we got the post. The other thing you can do if worst comes to worst you can trim their nails to dull them enough i do both with tigger.

Good Luck :wink:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I did the same with my kitties as Tigger's mom. Just gently lift him take him to the post and scratch with your fingers. Do it every time and he will get the hang of it. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Catnip is the key. Everytime I want my idiots (I'm really not being mean, they truly are morons :lol:) I use catnip. It make Mario insane, but Zelda is really sweet about it. I tried putting it on the dog once to make them like him, but that didn't work.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Hmm...Maybe I'll put Catnip on Thomas so Kitty likes him. :D

That was the funniest thing I've heard. Too bad it didn't work!

Also, you're kitten might not like the scratching post you got. My kids won't touch a sisel scratching post, but love the carpeted ones.

·
Registered
46 Posts
When you see your kitten scratching on your furniture bring your kitten over to the scratching post and show your kitten how to use it by taking the paws and running them down the post. Kittens catch on pretty quickly, they are easier to train then adult cats. And they are pretty smart too. They are many information about scratching on the interent. You might find other helpful information.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Carpet is generally not a good scratching post because then kitties learn to like the feeling of it, and will scratch on your carpeted FLOORS. :? But some cats are very good about discriminating. Anyway -- what I find works the best is sisal. It is very good for a cats nails, most of them like the feel of it, and they are attracted to the scent of it. Catnip rubbed into the post should work too, unless your cat is one of those that isn't affected. Also, you should never force your cat to scratch. Taking their paws and making them scratch will not make sense to them - and they probably will not like this, and therefore not repeat the behavior or learn anything. If they scratch furniture, try to immediately take them over to the post and place them there. Give them treats when they are at the post, scratch *your* fingernails on it perhaps. Mine got the hang of this really fast. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
I know this isn't the popular opinion here, but some cats will do the opposite if you put their paws on the post and move them in a scratching motion. I prefer giving him a stern "no" and then showing him with my own hands how to scratch the post. When I see him stratching on the proper stuff I get melodramatic praising him for his good deed. They love to please. My cat has vertical, floor and both the rope and carpet. He tends to use the floor one the most, but likes the others also. Giving them a choice helps. What to scratch is learned in the first 4-5 weeks of life so sometimes it is difficult to break bad habits.

Cat nip is a wonderful draw when he gets older, but when he is under 6mths it may not effect him much!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts