Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kimmie is a female grey tabby stray that's about 9 months now that adopted me and we have had her for 2 months now. Ka'ana the Siamese still hates her. I've tried everything: flower essence, vanilla, keeping them in separate rooms and also put them in room where there is a door that separates the entry way into the house that has open slats. There they view each other and smell each other. Their food areas are directly across from each other but with the door in the way. I even change rooms so Ka'ana can get use to the new scent. My meezer is normally such a sweetheart and she's 6 years old. She's even more cuddly & affectionate after her brother Harley died 3-4 weeks ago. There have been times we forgot to shut the door tight and Ka'ana makes her way into the room and fights so fiercely, she has ripped Kimmie to shreds. All the fur that flying was Kimmie's. Kimmie freaks, shakes with fear and pees all over herself too. I don't know what to do. I love them both but if there's NO light at the end tunnel, I might have to give up Kimmie. My husband says its not fair for either of them to live like this. So before I do anything that drastic, how EXACTLY do I re-introduce the new kitty? I've read the articles and I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions and experiences out there especially to cat parents of 2-5 cats? How do you manage?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just remembered a funny story that goes along with this. Last week in either my husband or I did not shut the door that separates them. This is the door with the slats that separates the entry way to the rest of the house. However on the right of the entry way is our living room with a window to the street. Ka'ana finds her way into the livingroom on her search and destroy mission, locates Kimmie and the attack and fighting begins. Ka'ana does not stop even while I'm screaming and running 'round the living room after them. I take off my white terry cloth robe and throw it on them to disorient them to stop the fightng. Much to my chagrin our next door neighbors are going through a home renovation and their contractors had a free peep show to go with their coffee and doughnuts that morning! The honest truth!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hmmm. This sounds pretty serious. I worry that even if Ka'ana does calm down poor Kimmie won't ever feel comfortable in this situation.

If you want to start over I'd separate them completely -- no visual or scent shared space for now. I'd do that for at least two weeks. Then redo the intro process. Ka'ana and Kimmie might both benefit from the use of Feliway in the environment to calm down the fear/anger. I might try using the two carrier method -- only after a cool down period and gradual scent re-introduction -- set them each in carriers near each other for a while. If Ka'ana could have the attack idea, live with that without acting on it for about 20 minutes, perhaps it'd diffuse the impulse with repetition.

Another possibility would be to put Ka'ana on a harness (if she'll put up with that) and run a leash to a length of dog-run wire through the house that gives her limited mobility. Then they could get used to Kimmie moving around in shared territory without being available to attack. I've used this idea with a foster that liked to aggressively rush other cats.

I have four cats and I foster and I've been through some difficult introductions, but this one sounds really harsh for Kimmie. She might be better off finding another home. :(

:oops: :lol: I can imagine you were the talk of the street for a few days after that morning! The things we do for our cats! I've heard of giving the shirt off your back but.... :twisted:

~Heather

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for your suggestion, Heather. I'm at my wits end. Reading and reading and applying what I read. I will either try the carrier or the leash. What is Feliway? Is that something I can get at the pet store?

I really hate to give up Kimmie if it doesn't work out. The thought saddens me. I just lost a cat to cancer and losing another in a different way still that dreaded affect on me. She is such a love and have come a long way with her because she was a stray. I noticed she did not have problems with the other cats (our shared custody cat, Punky Lu-lu and One Ear another stray). And the irony is that Ka'ana doesn't have a problem with those cats either. I think this is going on much too long to accept each other.

Again thanks for your response and have a great day.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well its about end of August and there is no improvement with the relationship with our Ka'ana and our new kitty Kimmie. Just had another battle this morning and Ka'ana was again out to destroy. (Fur, a little blood and pee). I've read Dr Jean's article several times and had read alot of other posts about introducing and re-introducing new cats to other cats in the household that other members were expierencing for clues. I've tried the flower essence, vanilla, exchanging scents, and areas. I tried re-introducing them as well. I also tried the leash on Ka'ana so Kimmie could wander around the house. That lasted 2 seconds cuz Ka'ana went ballistic. She surged with such force towards Kimmie that it scared me - thought she was gonna hurt herself while being tethered like that. Lastly, I bought the Feliway and its been about month with no change.

Both my husband are so upset that this is not working out and it saddens me to no end the thought that I would have to give up Kimmie. I've asked a couple of my friends if they wanted her so that I can visit and keep tabs on her and they've so no. I don't want to give her to just anyone. I don't want to give her up at all. I just don't know what to do next.

Anyone with expierence of their cats taking up to 3-4 months to even "tolerate" each other? Any members have expierence of the introduction/compatibility taking longer that 3-4 months? I just don't know what to think. I asked my vet and he said that if they didn't get along in 2 weeks they never will. Where's that leave me?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hi MA, I remember your situation!

Yes, it can take months for a re-introduction to do it right. You may have perhaps pushed them too soon when you tried it before.

It might make you feel better to read a story worse than yours...that has a happy ending! See "Trouble in Paradise":
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... olume2no07

BTW, your vet doesn't know much about cat behavior if he would make such an ignorant remark.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Dr Jean for your assistance and the article. And you are right that it was probably too soon. I rushed it because I was tending to Harley during his illness and was not pacing.

I have since changed vets...My original vet of 8 years retired and found this one who advertised low cost vaccs and other services. He evidently doesn't have any bedside manners. Bless you and this forum. I'd be lost.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
MA said:
Much to my chagrin our next door neighbors are going through a home renovation and their contractors had a free peep show to go with their coffee and doughnuts that morning! The honest truth!
:oops: :oops:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts