Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just called the police about a neighbor who has threatened to poison my cat if he ever sees me take him in or out of the building again for a stroll together.

Although the law here says poisoning cats is 3 years prison, the police refused to warn the neighbor and refused to write down an advance complaint from me. They told me "look after your cat so the neighbor can't poison him".

Which means that, once the neighbor has killed my cat, I'll have to find some kind of proof that it was that neighbor (which is impossible), which means the law is useless, just a gimmick to satisfy the stupid ones in the cat-loving population.

I was wondering how this works in other communities?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
"In New York State, poisoning or attempting to poison any animal is a criminal offense under Agriculture & Markets Law, section 360. It may also constitute cruelty under Agriculture & Markets Law, section 353 or aggravated cruelty under Agriculture & Markets Law, section 353-a, both also criminal offenses. Only incorporated shelters and, in some circumstances police officers, are legally permitted to euthanize any lost, abandoned, homeless, stray or unwanted animal (Agriculture & Markets Law, section 374)."

What does this mean? That the burden of proof is on the pet owner. It is very difficult to prove and people usually get away with it until they have killed several animals. It's almost like catching a serial killer. There usually has to be a pattern, and the killer has to slip in some way for the authorities to be able to make a connection back to the suspect that will actually stick.

How are the laws as far as recording conversations? Here, you can record any conversation you are a part of without having to disclose you are recording it. That could be used as proof even if the police won't take the complaint seriously. Even if it's admissible, it would not guarantee a conviction, but it would at least make the authorities see him as "a person of interest". I would first check what the law states regarding tape recordings in your neck of the woods.

Also, you might be able to approach this differently. Instead, of reporting the neighbor is trying to poison your cat, you can report the neighbor is harassing and threatening you each time you enter or leave your place of residence.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much. I was indeed interested in how this is handled in a developed country, and New York is a wonderful example for comparison. I see that the law acts as no deterrent there, is useless same as here. It reminds me of so many laws that, because they're not enforced as they should, are useless. Like sexual harrassment used to be, back when the woman was forbidden from using any written or recorded material, so it was never possible to prove.

Your idea is brilliant, if he harrasses me again that's what I'll do. You've given me peace of mind. Again, thank you very much!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts