Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

So tonight I discovered a new method of interactive play with my sweetie, Sarge - he's been chasing Da Bird around, and I successfully got him to jump up and down from the bed to the floor over and over, in the hopes of catching it. He's never done this much jumping so quickly, and after a few minutes, he started panting and I got worried. I stopped play and let him 'kill' his prey, and he stopped panting after a short while. After that, he ate a few treats and drank fresh water. He's now lounging on the floor next to me while I write this, and looks like he's about to drift off to sleep!

I'm hoping that this is just a sign that I've found a new method of play that works his lungs in a way that I haven't before. He's 3 years old and in really good shape, and the vet says he's *maybe* 1-2 pounds overweight at best. He exercises every day with me and I get him running around. Should I be worried? If it's okay, is there a point when I should stop playing if he starts to pant? I don't want to make him sick.. quite the contrary, actually. I'm trying to keep him super healthy!

Thank you all for your thoughts!! I love this site so much! :)

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
oh, hahaha...I just got DaBird 2wks ago for my super timid and super lazy kitty. He dashed off and hide the moment I took out DaBird. Took many many hours, got him to sniff at the feather before he started batting at it (lying down) on Day2. Day3, he suddenly got so hyper when I took out DaBird and played for a full 40min. He was the 1 who refused to let me stop. I had to literally hide DaBird, out of sight because he will hunt it down. In the afternoon, the same day, he pestered me again to play DaBird. I played another 10min or so, then I decided, enough is enough, I better not overdo it. From then on, I only limit 10min of play. I was just wondering if kitties will get muscle ache from over exercising because my upper arm ache from the swinging, lol...

Nearly 2wks now, his interest in DaBird kinda died a little, I needn't hide it now, lol..

·
Registered
979 Posts
Jackson Galaxy recommends doing exactly what you're doing - exercising them until they just begin to pant for short periods.

From your other post, we know Pepper's got a tonne of energy. I think working him that way 2-3 times over the course of the day will help a lot with his fits! :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you all so much - this is so reassuring!! :D

Auntie Crazy: I had no idea about the fact that cats are built for short bursts of exertion - that reassures me especially since Sarge's new playtimes are short but fast-paced. I'll definitely aim for his peak times as well for efficiency and the quality of play - he is always very energetic at dusk!!

Jacq: You are too kind for relating this thread back to my other one about his unprovoked bursts of aggressiveness - thank you! I've just done one Da Bird session today, so here's hoping for 1 or 2 more before the night is through :) And yay for Jackson Galaxy!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts