Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been unemployed for about 1 1/2 years cuz I was laid off from a high tech company that was downsizing. It was a blessing in disguise because it gave me the opportunity to get certified as a child day care worker. This type of work is a far cry from being an executive assistant to a VP (who was laid off too) as far as environment and pay goes. The jobs for child day care are not coming in as quickly as I thought. At some interviews that I did get stressed going back to school for more ECE units. It is still my desire to work with children even at a fraction of what corporate companies pay. So I'm still working on that. In the meantime, our finances are getting quite low and starting to dip into our savings . Last week out of the blue a friend who was also laid off from the same company but found a job referred me to her VP that had a temporary, 2 week administrative assistant position open. This company is 50 miles away and a hour's drive without traffic back and forth. With traffic you are looking at some days to 1 1/2 hours. The job is paying $20/hour. I have until today to accept it. The money would help.

What do you think? 50 miles seems so far. I've never worked that far from home before.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
It's only two weeks...so that gives you extra $$ in your pocket and after two weeks, you don't have to stay.

Granted, driving THAT far twice a day would get tiring, but like I said, it's only two weeks.

Personally, *I* would give it a try. Are there any bad parts about it other than the commute?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
if it is only for 2 weeks, and the $ is good.. i would take it.. get some $ and keep looking for that dream job.. What do you have to loose?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I say go for it, especially since it is temporary - as long as you have a reliable vehicle.

If it was a permanent position, I would personally put more thought into it, but since it is temporary I agree with Krista.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just hope you have a car that gets good mileage....that would be my biggest concern, but $$ is $$, so I would give it a shot - it is 2 weeks... but remember to calculate in gas expenses!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all so much for your input. And the key phrase is 2 weeks. I was getting really depressed that the child day care jobs weren't panning out. I did get hired at one Montessori even without the experience 3 weeks ago. It was perfect all away around but had some doubts about the owner but brushed it off until...she postponed my start date 3 times. I then told her I don't think this is going to work. I hated to do that but if she's like that now she might PAY me late or something flaky. So I was getting depressed about it all until my friend called me last weekend out of the blue. I had the phone interview yesterday with the hiring manager and was able to 'apply' by FAX just an hour ago today.

Thank you all once again. I really appreciate and respect your opinions.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's another ditty... the actual drive is a straight shot but bottlenecks as you go into the cty but my friend that lives 20 minutes away in another city from me says we can commute together. Now that's squared away I hope I do this job. It's in this bioscience company's legal department. Never worked in a legal department before.

·
Registered
637 Posts
For 2 weeks, I say go for it. If it were for the long haul...I would probably say no. My longest commute time would probably be 20 minutes or less ideal no more than 30 even in traffic. Good luck! :D

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I know you probably made your decision, but I just wanted to say I'm in the Child Care field as well, and am wondering where you live. You can PM me if you'd rather ... but depending where you are I might know some companies that hire in with little to no experience and usually pay pretty decently ... just for the future. If you're in my state I can even give you some tips on how to work with and around licensing requirements until you have more units/experience.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Jeannie for your words of encouragement. When I was laid off and started looking for job with no results I took certification classes in Day care. Later Harley had cancer (remember?) was PTS in July then I started my job search specifically in child care. The ones I applied at all said I needed more units. One even asked if I could volunteer until there was an opening. She wanted a commitment even for volunteer work 5 days a week full time. Sounds like she wanted free help to me. Then I thought about opening one at home but the insurance fees kind of put me off. I'm glad my husband is patient while I'm in limbo about what to do about wor so this temp job would definitely help out in all areas.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Depends on where you live. Here in our area, 1.5 hrs one-way commutes are common for most people, with 2 or 3 hr commutes if they had to buy houses North Bay or east. Hubby's current commute is about 40 miles one way.

Good luck with the temp assignment, hope it's going well.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I drive about 45 minutes to work each day. And it's only for $9. 50 an hr. :roll:

But I live in the boonies and I have no choice.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My 2 week stint at this temporary job is just but over. I say "just about" because they extended to 3 more days. Which is all about I care to do because the commute is horrible. Without traffic its an hour. With rain and car accidents up to 30 minutes of just sitting. There were day I could just scream. I really couldn't see me doing this commute for even a month. Gas is expensive too. The upshot was that originally the job was offered at $20/hour which was the deciding factor to accept it since I had been off work for over year. When I got my first paycheck, it was a little higher than expected and found out as I read the detail that they paid me $24/hour. I could have jumped 10 feet in the air. I hope it was not error. Ha!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts