Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was a little amazed. Toby gets some treats when I go to my room to go to bed. Once in a while I'll place them somewhere when he's not watching where he has never seen them before (not to hide them, just to put them down while I get ready and do some other stuff. When I get back they're gone and I'm surprised he even knew they were there.

Or we'll be playing chase, where I run out of a room and he'll wait and come after me. I'll hide behind a chair or a door that I've never been behind before and he'll just walk right up to where I'm hiding.

It that his sense of smell that's leading him to me?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I haven't tried that with a cat but when I had dogs as a youngun, I would do the hide and seek and the dogs I had would go from room to room....Id have to give them hints to finally 'let' them find me.

Not surprising tho as cats are smarter by far....as for smell, I would guess they are a different kind of hunter and evolution probably favored the smell sense over some others.....

Might be some studies out about this topic.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I know mine can smell a meat wrapper in the closed stainless steel trash can when they did not see me put it in there. That's the only time they scratch and try to dig through the side of the can. Lord help me if they ever figure out how to open it. It's the foot pedal kind. The dog we had figured it out in about 5 minutes. The cats might not be heavy enough.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
They're psychic.

I can be working in the kitchen but if I even think about food Missy will be behind me in a second.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
I can't say much about their sense of smell...but their hearing is AMAZING!
Joy can hear her treat container from the other side of the house...

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I can't say much about their sense of smell...but their hearing is AMAZING!
Joy can hear her treat container from the other side of the house...
that's what i was going to say. of course they smell if i have food, but whether or not they investigate is random. but let me open the kitchen cabinet that has the cat food spoons in it and i'm mobbed. i also swear they can actually hear me open my eyes in the morning. if they aren't pestering me and i wake up, even if i don't turn on the light or say anything, pretty soon they're all right there. it creeps me out a little.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The smell isn't the best on our cats, but the hearing by far is great! We can be upstairs and across the house from them and soon they come running up the stairs for a treat.

·
Registered
415 Posts
My cats creep me out a little with how quick they can get to my bedroom door when I get up in the morning. We'll hit snooze a random number of times, and they don't come when the alarm goes off, but the second I sit up in bed I hear them jump off of whatever they're sitting on and by the time I get to the door they're sitting there waiting. My bed doesn't creak when I sit up and I don't plop my feet on the floor noisly either.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Cats don't have good sense of smell. The strays, even just now downstairs, can be furiously begging for food without noticing a juicy, fresh piece of chicken right under their nose. They do have amazing sense of hearing, they hear things we'd need amplified several times to start hearing. They don't find the pieces of Temptations treats if I place them on the floor near them, but they'll come from the furthest place in the apt. if I so much as pick the bag in my hand. They know the sound of Temptations bags by heart, even though it's a rare treat here because I have to ask people to bring it to me from the US.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My cat Jordy has the most amazing sense of smell. Either that, or he has heightened food-sensing instincts because he always seems to know when I am frying kippers for breakfast!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts