Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I've asked a similar question before but this is one thing that I get mixed opinions on from people.

When you are in the same environment with a sick person what does it take to get what they have? Can you simply get it by breathing the same air or do they have to cough or sneeze to make the virus airborne?

The thing is that my girlfriend feels like she is starting to get sick. If I refrain from kissing her, can I still get what she has simply by being close to her or hugging her, kissing her cheek or neck? I did see her for a short time yesterday. Could she have already been carrying the virus and so would I have it myself even though I have no symptoms yet?

Just trying to find out what my risk is in the hopes of avoiding any sickness. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Different viruses are contracted differently. Some from bodily fluids and blood some are airborn, etc. Just breathing, you can catch something or by touching something the person has touched. Or if she rubbs her eyes and you hold her hand. The best way not to contract what ever virus, the majority of them, is the refrain from kissing her, have her wash her hands as much as possible, avoid close contact, even her breathing on you, don't drink after her, etc. She could sneeze or blow her nose even in a tissue and you can get it through the air, so if it's that important to you, I would take all those precautions plus. I don't even bother too much with hubby and visa versa.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Did you guys know that when Howie Mandell is a germaphobe.
He built his own guest house on his property so that when one of his family members gets ill....he goes to live in it. 8O

·
Registered
88 Posts
BamMcg said:
have her wash her hands as much as possible,.
good advice.....Also wash your hands often. Right now so many people have this that you could pick it up just about anywhere. It may not even be your girlfriend that you get it from.

My sister had kidney disease and I gave her a kidney. It was important that she didn't get sick, of course. The main advice the doctors gave her was to "wash her hands often."

Try to not get stressed out too much, eat rght and get enough sleep. It may not keep you from getting it, but you may not get it as bad.

Good luck :)

You know I was wondering if our cats can catch these kind of viruses from us?

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Oh I am all about washing hands....
My hands are dry and cracked from hand washing because
right now I have 2 in diapers....

Oh and clip those fingernails and scrub under them with a toothbrush.
That is what we do in our house!

·
Registered
88 Posts
BoscosMum said:
right now I have 2 in diapers....!
I remember those days :roll: My hands were so cracked they were bleeding sometimes :lol: I shouldn't laugh, it really hurts...

Burt"s Bees hand salve works pretty good for that.

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
fuzzywuzzy said:
BoscosMum said:
right now I have 2 in diapers....!
I remember those days :roll: My hands were so cracked they were bleeding sometimes :lol: I shouldn't laugh, it really hurts...

Burt"s Bees hand salve works pretty good for that.
Burt's Bees hand salve is a lifesaver!!!

Really, how you get sick is dependent on your immunity. If your immunity is low no matter how careful you are you will get sick.

·
Banned
12,194 Posts
Honestly Richo, you sure you aren't getting just a little obsessive about this? Just take what reasonable precautions you can and then don't worry about what you can't control. 8)

As the others have noted, there are just too many variables to really give you any good idea of the odds.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Time to stock up on some Zicam. I've avoided getting sick 4 times this season by starting to use that stuff at the first sign of sickness. It even seems to get rid of my developing sinus infections, I swear! :eek:

·
Registered
10,238 Posts
I easily get sick even if I don't drink from my bf's cup, kiss him on the lips, share a drink, etc. But my bf can do all that stuff with me and he still wouldn't get sick most of the time.... :roll:

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
viruses can be spread multiple ways. As mentioned, wash your hands, drink lots of water, get plenty of rest.
If it's a cold, I've heard of people fighting off creeping colds with the nasal rinses. I could never bring myself to try it though......

·
Premium Member
28,617 Posts
I think tjat's a good question, Richo. Some of the worst diseases are caused by airborne viruses, including influenza. You have some good advice too, Richo. If your immunity is down, you're more susceptible, so get enough sleep and eat a healthy diet. Many colds are passed by touching paper, so washing your hands is essential.

Of course the inconsiderate people sit in the doctor's office without a mask, although there's a poster asking that they do so, and some don't cover their mouths when they cough and sneeze. That's maddening! I get upper respiratory infections so easily, so I have to be careful. :(

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My issue with being sick is that my job depends on my health. Most anyone else can still do their job when they are a bit under the weather but I sing in a band and this band's success is dependent on my voice. This is a band that does a lot of weddings and when you can't give someone even 50% on their special day, it's a terrible position to be in.

Last year I was sick more than ever before, including the summer where I NEVER get sick. This year I've done pretty well staying healthy. I'm wondering if it can be attributed to my overall happiness. Last year I was in a relationship that I was quite unhappy in, and this year I am with someone new and very happy.

·
Banned
12,194 Posts
That's an excellent point. The viability of one's immune system is directly affected by stress level, and unhappiness is a huge negative stressor.

·
Registered
363 Posts
We have a product here in Canada called Cold FX - you can most likely order it online - and it works WONDERS in boosting the immune system.
I have not been sick since I've started taking it, and I'm normally sick a few times by now.
Go to the website - it is actually used by alot of the hockey teams because it works so well.

·
Banned
12,194 Posts
Cold-fx is made from American ginseng, which is the most potent ginseng in the world. There is some controversy surrounding the use of ginseng as a dietary supplement, so I suggest anyone who is considering the use of this product to research the pros and cons thoroughly.

·
Registered
363 Posts
timskitties said:
Cold-fx is made from American ginseng, which is the most potent ginseng in the world. There is some controversy surrounding the use of ginseng as a dietary supplement, so I suggest anyone who is considering the use of this product to research the pros and cons thoroughly.
I was really really hesitant to take it, but the interesting thing about it is that it doesn't have the "speedy" effect that most ginseng does, because it is actually things (not sure what, sorry) taken FROM the ginseng...like, a part of the ginseng.
So, I take two types of SSRI's, and I can take it no problem - I also have panic disorder - normal ginseng will throw me into a panic attack almost immediately, where this stuff doesn't...

Something to think about!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Virus (as already said) are transferred many differant ways. Some can even be absorbed through the skin. Will you get sick? Well it all depends on the circumstances. Some people are just healthier than others so they may not get sick. It also depends on the cycle of the virus. Some are contagious before you even have symptoms, and some are contagious 1/2 way through their life cycle. I had a friend who worked in a top security virus contaiment place. He actually got to experiment with the big viruses such as Ebolia and Anthrax. His actually had to wear 3 suits and shower before entering his work area and before leaving had to go through several decontamination steps. He suggests that you wash your face and hands often as these are leading entry points. Also always wash before you leave a bathroom. He once (in university) counted how many people washed their hands with soap and water after using a public washroom. The results... 73% did not wash their hands at all, of the 22% that did, 38% used soap and water. He also noted that out of 500 people he witnessed in 1 week only 6 washed their hands for the recommended amount of time. Scary results if you ask me.
Also he recomended regular washing of everyday items, phones, doorknobs, computer keyboards, remote controls light switches and even hand rails. Basically where ever people touch stuff on a regular bases. Also wash garbage pails and wash your hands after changing the can liners. Also he recommended washing your hands before you eat and after handling money in areas that have high virual infections such as flu. Hope this can help many of us stay healthy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts