Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i can only hold him for not longer than a 1 minute... he will get restless and then want to claw me to get away... am i holding him wrong you think? :roll:

·
Registered
179 Posts
It all depends on the cat. Each cat I've had has been different. Oliver would let me hold him forever, Murphy would sometimes let me hold him, Sadie only lets you love on her on HER terms, but doesn't like being held, and Misty likes being held.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
My cat used to love to be held and carried around for a long time when he was very young, these days it depends on his mood. Most of the time, the only time he'll let me carry him around for a while is when I first get home from being gone and he greets me at the door. Otherwise, usually if I pick him up any other time he will try to struggle free or bite my arm (gently). I know of another cat that always wants to be picked up and others that don't like it at all. Yes, it all does depend on the cat.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Precious, my female, likes to lie on me, sleep on me, and sit on my lap, but even if she enjoys it when I pick her up, she will sometimes get down and right back up-just to "make a statement." When I have to get up, I give her loads of kitty kisses all over her head. I know she'll get down then, but I don't feel guilty! Shame on me... :oops:

·
Registered
755 Posts
I can hold Ben for hours on end. He loves being held. Charlie for a few minutes, but then she starts to move around. Chester doesn’t mind too much if your holding him right, and Lidia for a few minutes as well and then she also begins to move around.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Psi is a kitten, he'll put up with anything but he does get squirmy if he's hyper. Samhain likes to be held like a baby, I rest her back legs on my hip and she rubs her face on the corner of my glasses and every time I pick her up she will purr. If she wants to be picked up, she'll stand up on her back legs and lean her arms on me. She mostly does this in the morning - she is SO sweet in the morning when I get up. She'll wait at the bathroom door while I'm in the shower and then rush up to me to be held when I get out. It would drive me nuts if she didn't like being held. It's such a bonding experience for me and this is pretty much the only time she will give me kitty-kisses. She makes me less bitter about having to get out of bed -smile-

tanyuh

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Tanyuh, I get more kitty kisses after a shower too. Do you suppose they're trying to tell us something? :wink: Just kidding about that part, but for some reason, they both like to give me a kitty bath right after I shower and powder myself. I always wonder whether they love me or the bath powder! :)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I've known cats that seem to have a thing about wet hair. On old girlfriend of mine has a cat that would love to rub on and chew on wet hair, both hers and mine. I believe I've heard about this with other cats as well.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
The first time I allowed Samhain to investigate my wet hair, she bit a 6 in chunk off! So now I don't let her near it.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
My cat had to chose to jump up in my lap and be held. If I pick her up she complains and get right down. How long she sits with me varies, usually not more then ten minutes.
Funny thing is sometimes I will want to pick her up and cuddle, she whines and get right down. Then minutes later she will jump up on her own into my lap. Stubborn animal!! :roll:
:)

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Hahaha, she's a cat - doesn't want to seem like she is following orders from her human. Samhain is a brat too. I will call her and pat on the couch for her to jump up but she'll just look at me. I keep doing it and she just looks at me. But I know that 30 seconds after I stop and if I look away, she'll jump right up hehehe.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
tanyuh said:
Hahaha, she's a cat - doesn't want to seem like she is following orders from her human.
Isn't that the truth!! :lol: Cats sure have a mind of their own, but I love that.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Me too, I think I'd be uncomfortable if she did EVERYTHING I told her to. I like that she can make her own decisions and take care of herself and doesn't feel like she has to follow my orders. I wouldn't like having control over her like that, but that's just me.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
That makes three of us who have cats who like us to know who's in charge! I think my Siamese are very loving, but my female likes me to know everything is her idea. It's that independence that makes us love them so much. We admire their pride.

Tanyuh, I love hearing about your "brat." I'll bet I'd love him!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Sampson flops over like a rag doll and you can hold him indefinitely. Mitzi will hug on to you but her incessant meowing drives you to put her down.

As for Xavier, Fallon and Peaches... Ha! Good luck! I think poor Rage has some wounds on his chest from the last time he tried to hold Xav.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I cannot hold my cats very long. Toby and Sabrina they meow when we are holding them and they just want to be let down. I can hold Joey and he would put up with but he doesn't meow when I am holding him.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Jupiter - 2 seconds. Seriously, she loves to be petted, but hates to be held.

Emily - when she's awake, not much longer than Jupiter. If she's half asleep or in one of her love me, pet me moods, then I can hold her for about 20 minutes. I once got her to stay still for about 45 minutes because she was mesmerized by the aquarium.

Chester & Lizzy will both stay until the person holding them wants to get up (and even then they don't want to move).

-Chelle

1 - 19 of 19 Posts