Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Argh, my legs go numb after 40 minutes, especially with 15lbs. of dearest Prince on me. They also won't sit on my lap unless I sit Indian style. I feel so guilty when I have to ask them to get up because I can't feel my legs anymore...someone please side with me...

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
Well neither Samantha or Chiquita were/are lap cats but my beloved Meme would sit on my lap for hours, she was extremely polite if I started to stir she'd jump down without complaint, she'd also be just as happy laying beside between my leg and the arm of the chair.
It was quite funny because it looked like she was watching the TV too.

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
Weird, I thought we just had this conversation....

ANyway, Mine don't sit in my lap on the computer. They want to lay against my chest on the desk TOP. So, one or the other curls up on the desk top leaning against my lady bumps and I type around their body. The other will lay behind me on top of the pillow I use to brace my back in the computer chair.

What's to side with? If you don't want them there, sit with your legs crossed or some other way so they can't lay there....

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Blacky sleeps on or between my legs most nights... so if that counts, sometimes I guess it's 8 hours long. Mind you, she weighs like 6 pounds.

When I'm on the computer Blacky sometimes in on my lap around 3 hours at a time if I let her... usually I don't since I don't like having to not moving my legs for so long. I just mover her to my bed and give her a scratch, all is forgiven.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My lap cats over the last few decades have been less than ten pounds so discomfort from their weight hasn't been a problem for me. My newest lap cat is 4 1/2 months and 5.4 pounds. The lap time limit for this one is my bladder.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just mover her to my bed and give her a scratch, all is forgiven.
Yes, this is what I've started doing and it's the only thing that works with Prince. He gave me this idea by going to the bed when I put him down one day.

Do you guys sit Indian style for your cats to sit on your lap?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Milky isn't really a lap cat as such. He prefers either latching himself across our shoulders or laying on the top half of our body, which means we have to lie down for him to do this. He can stay for quite a long time in this position, sometimes while we watch a movie or watch hours of tv. He especially loves watching wildlife documentaries!!

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
My 14 pounders doesn't fit on my lap. When I'm sitting she runs right up me to hang onto my shoulder and I have to hold her. That doesn't last long at all.

The little one never sits on my lap but she'll cuddle up against me and then it's bladder testing time. She spends the night sleeping between my legs. I've learned not to move.

·
Registered
383 Posts
It won't matter if you train them to sit on your lap if you are not in the "indian sitting position" or any other position. They will find a way to park on you until you are uncomfortable. This is one of their "jobs". For instance, I'm trying to write this around PuddyWoW because he is curled upside down on the momshelf and hanging on with all the front claws. If I try moving him, he clings harder & goes completely limp while pretending to be asleep. Bentley is half draped across one leg & Tuffy is across the back of the couch with one paw in my hair & his nose in my ear. Tuffy is actually asleep because he started drooling. ICK. When did I sign up for a job as the kitty perch? Oh right, the day I brought them home & took the job as the cat mom.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it won't matter if you train them to sit on your lap if you are not in the "indian sitting position" or any other position. They will find a way to park on you until you are uncomfortable. This is one of their "jobs".
lol !!

·
Banned
154 Posts
The lap time limit for this one is my bladder.

LOL - I've actually had Mimi sitting on my lap or chest while laying down on the couch for hours - while my bladder gets fuller and fuller and I feel like I'm going to burst - and I STILL can't bring myself to move her until I know there is no other alternative - either wet my pants or disturb Her Highness.

I love having a lap cat ... and I especially love that she sleeps all tucked into my side, with her head on my shoulder when I go to sleep at night. I will NEVER complain about that ...

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
My lap cats over the last few decades have been less than ten pounds so discomfort from their weight hasn't been a problem for me... The lap time limit for this one is my bladder.
ditto!

Although Sasha is now 9 months and I haven't weighed him lately, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's at the 10 lbs mark or close to it. He LOVES to lay on me as much as he possibly can.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Midnight, the wild cat, climbed on my lap one time when I was sitting on the step outside the kitchen door in the garage. He is a big guy, but it wasn't the weight that was the problem. He was happy so he started flexing his claws.

Brings this image to mind. :shock:

·
Registered
214 Posts
My issue isn't really the cat, it's me getting uncomfortable after a while. Autumn likes to lay on my lap (and Daddy's) when we play video games. She usually stretches out across the two of us.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
It's so funny that you posted this yesterday. :lol: This was my Facebook status from yesterday:
(my full name) is sitting here, Indian-style with a gorgeous black cat asleep in my lap. But my God...my legs are killing me!!! The pain I go through for the comfort of my sweet black kitty.
then my reply to someone who commented on my status:

She got up about 30 minutes after I made this post. When *I* tried to stand up, I had to grab the chair. My legs had fallen asleep. She's lucky she's cute, I tell ya.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Artemisia will sleep on my lap for hours and hours if I let her.

Of course, she's fairly tiny (7 1/2 pounds) so she's not exactly a heavy burden.

Sometimes I get so hot, though, that I need to evict her (she's a little fuzzy furnace, that one).

·
Registered
594 Posts
My kitties don't sit on our laps :sad. they do sleep between our legs in bed, or on top of them, Squeek especially always has to lay across ankels!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yoshi lays on my legs when I'm on the couch, whether they be indian style or just out straight. However, if he jumps on the couch and finds me sitting in a weird position that doesn't suit him, he immediately throws a fit, stands on me, and starts crying. So at that point I re-position myself to suit his needs. He'll lay on me for hours, and although my legs often fall asleep, I never move him unless I have to get up for something. Then I come back and it starts all over again. It's a viscious cycle.

In the bed at night, he either sleeps on my chest or 1/2 on my face and 1/2 on my neck. He will stay on my neck all night, which means mom wakes up with severe back pain. Kinda sucks since we recently spent $1400 on a new mattress to eliminate any back pain. My boyfriend sleeps great all night long because he won't let Yoshi sleep on him. Me not so much.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 23 Posts