Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right now we are working during the day so we usually do 2 wet meals, one meal in the early morning, and one in the evening and i usually leave it out for up to 2 hours. in between these meals, i leave dry food out for them to munch on.

i feel since they are kittens, it's a good thing for them to have food available whenever

our breeder had different recommendations. she suggested to just leave the food out for 10-20 minutes during meal time, and only have the dry food out when we are away at work. this way, whenever it's meal time, they supposedly learn it's time to eat when the food is set out, and if they don't eat, they have to wait til the next meal (for wet at least)

i am starting to see finickiness in our kitties, and wondering if this could be related to the fact that we have food available whenever, and us parents are softies...if we don't see them eating, we change to another can of different food. we are toughening up though.

trying to stay strong and hope they don't starve themselves. just wondering if anyone else leaves out food for a certain amount of time, and if they don't get to it, take it away.

·
Premium Member
9,125 Posts
Kittens need food sources at all times till about 9-12 months old. I would leave the wet out. Once they are older do the 20-30 minute of wet food then take it up. Its a way to control their weight in older cats. Dont free feed them when older if there is a weight problem going on.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I wouldn't do "meals" for a kitten unless you are there to feed them 4 or 5 times a day. Like Merry said, once they are older and fully grown, then you can switch to 2 or 3 meals a day, but not before.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I leave wet food out all the time. It's probably not the best idea but they haven't gotten sick so....
I put out their breakfast in the morning and pick the dishes up at dinner time. I clean them, and put dinner on them. Those dishes stay down until I wake up and feed them breakfast. Sometimes they eat the food quickly, sometimes they don't finish, sometimes they'll snack on the food several hours after I put it down (which is gross but like I said, I haven't seen any bad effects).

·
Super Moderator
26,809 Posts
^ Same here. I work, so I have no choice but to put it down in the morning and leave it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts