Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had trouble getting the Advantage up high on the neck on my ex-feral cat. It's so hard getting it on him; I have to sneak up on him. He gets horrible allergic dermatitis from flea saliva if he isn't treated. I'm going to San Diego next week and I can't bear to think of him suffering if the treatment doesn't work. I got it on the back of his neck but just above the shoulder blades. Can he lick there?

·
Super Moderator
26,806 Posts
I don't think so, and I think that's where the instructions say to put it (can't remember, it's been a while).

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the directions say the base of the skull. I would imagine it's alright or it would be emphasized more.

What do you use instead of advantage? San Diego is flea heaven. I know, I used to live there.

·
Super Moderator
26,806 Posts
My girls are inside cats, so I was really annoyed when I discovered them on my girls. I think the fleas came from Gigi when I adopted her.

I used whatever it was my vet gave me, it was probably Advantage. But I had to wash everything in the house and spray and vacuum, rinse and repeat. It took about 3 months to get rid of all them on the cats and in the house.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, you're lucky. I have a friend who's a gardener and she unwittingly brings in fleas to her indoor cats. She has to put Advantage on them once a month.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well, the directions say the base of the skull. I would imagine it's alright or it would be emphasized more.

What do you use instead of advantage? San Diego is flea heaven. I know, I used to live there.
Advantage appears to be still working on my cats, but the dogs no. What I have been doing is using Capstar Welcome to the CAPSTAR Homepage - Novartis Animal Health US, Inc. along with the Advantage type pour ons. I follow up every 2 weeks with another Capstar dose. Capstar is not long acting but the adult fleas will be falling off them within the hour. I get it from Vet or have also ordered online

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
"Fleabusters" it's safe, I think it's boric acid will kill fleas in your carpet and furniture. It worked like a charm for me

1 - 7 of 7 Posts